Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies, I want one, but I don't want one. My biggest concern is when/if I have to go in for warranty work. It seems like it's a real PITA to install, and I'd hate to have to crawl back under there to put the stock one back on. Has anyone ever gotten any static regarding warranty work while sporting a aftermarket downpipe?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Most dealerships will always find something to say about anything that's a different argument by its self as far as install and removal goes it it very simple and can be done in about an hour and a half, that's on my back on rino ramps in the drive way.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If I lived my life and modded (or didn't mod) my car based on worrying about a warranty, I think I'd just quit now and drive a '93 Corolla and be done with it. Do the DP! Seriously though...you're hung up on a subject that they have to prove caused a malfunction. Exhaust mods are extremely safe in comparison. I'm going catless when the time comes and I'm going to sleep like a baby every night.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The downpipe and intercooler are the top two limitations on our cars. You can maybe sustain power with the stock intercooler if you do WMI, but there's no way around the bottleneck in the stock downpipe. It has to go.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
down pipe is not worth the zero hp you're going to get. It will help a little with throttle response on stock turbo. Not worth the headache of install I would not get one.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I lived my life and modded (or didn't mod) my car based on worrying about a warranty, I think I'd just quit now and drive a '93 Corolla and be done with it. Do the DP! Seriously though...you're hung up on a subject that they have to prove caused a malfunction. Exhaust mods are extremely safe in comparison. I'm going catless when the time comes and I'm going to sleep like a baby every night.
No, I wouldn't sat I'm "hung up", just taking different aspects into consideration seeing as it looks like a lot of work to install. If I were "hung up" I would have never done so much as a catback or a tune.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Super simple install. Nothing crazy about it. You should buy one and don't look back.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
147 Posts
down pipe is not worth the zero hp you're going to get. It will help a little with throttle response on stock turbo. Not worth the headache of install I would not get one.
how do we have such contradictory opinions when it comes to downpipe? I've had quite a few members tell me that I will see no gains until I change the downpipe.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Reactions: Ljc0514 and screzzy

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Anytime on a turbocharged car, you can remove exhaust restrictions, whilst improving spool, widening the power band, etc; who the F cares if it's not a huge power adder? It made the car more driveable period. It's part of a building block to getting power, and depending on how you shop for one, it can be inexpensive. (e.g. buying used, waiting for deals)

·
Registered
154 Posts
So the extra power is nice.

But what I really enjoy the most after putting the DP on is the sound. The turbo whistle noise is so sexy. I'm not even sure I want to go with an aftermarket exhaust, because I don't want to drown-out the turbo noises.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Installed the Cobb Catted DP this weekend, the quicker spool, instant response time and exhaust note is well worth it. I got mine used from another member and its awesome. definitely well worth it

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Unpopular opinion: the stock turbo doesn't​ need to be any more responsive, it doesn't add a ton more power to be worth it, and if you live in a state that does emissions it can be a real headache. Not to mention if you go catless you might end up with a whiney significant other over the smell and/or loudness.

With that said, I'm running a catless DP, but with a big turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unpopular opinion: the stock turbo doesn't​ need to be any more responsive, it doesn't add a ton more power to be worth it, and if you live in a state that does emissions it can be a real headache. Not to mention if you go catless you might end up with a whiney significant other over the smell and/or loudness.

I'm leaning towards getting one. We don't have any emissions testing here, but I would go catted just to avoid the stink. Big turbo would be sweet. I'm not ruling that out down the road.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm leaning towards getting one. We don't have any emissions testing here, but I would go catted just to avoid the stink. Big turbo would be sweet. I'm not ruling that out down the road.
Some of us (me included) actually LIKE that scent. So it might not be as bad as you may think.

·
Registered
113 Posts

We have emissions (OBD scan only), I run a defouler with the middle size insert and O2 sensors will be ready by the time I need to head in, at the end of the day, its all personal preference. Mine was purely to increase the driving experience to and from work/Costco ..and it did just that :)

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Catless is nice to hear the turbo in the exhaust though so there's that. I personally don't mind the stink, but I always hear about it from my wife. She had zero complaints with the catted upgraded downpipe though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would run a catless dp without hesitating, but mated to stock exhaust, it is too loud with any catback and all catbacks sound bad IMO.

Reactions: Ljc0514

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW- I decided to buy the catted downpipe from CJ PonyParts. It was $60 off normal price, I couldn't pass it up!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts