Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to drop the turbo off to a local ceramic coating company this week.

Obviously I have to take it apart but I'm wondering: Is there anything I should look out for when taking it apart?

I assume I can just unbolt and unscrew everything and set the non-coating parts aside until I get it back, yeah?

Is it easy to put back together? How tight does it all need to be when re-assembling?

Once I get it back it'll be time to put it in ... and hopefully my fear of doing it will go away. Doesn't look to hard but I lack friends in the area who know this stuff, don't have a garage so it might be pretty interesting to do alone. :D I can take apart interiors and have done all my other mods but something about the turbo swap has made me nervous. lol

Reactions: colewhateva

· Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
496 Posts
I haven't done this myself, but I find being organized and taking either notes or pictures helps. As does taking your time. Don't rush.
Pretty standard advice for working on a car lol.
I also like to use a tackle box to collect the hardware in the order I take it off, so when it goes back together, its obvious what comes next.

· Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
I'm going to drop the turbo off to a local ceramic coating company this week.

Obviously I have to take it apart but I'm wondering: Is there anything I should look out for when taking it apart?

I assume I can just unbolt and unscrew everything and set the non-coating parts aside until I get it back, yeah?

Is it easy to put back together? How tight does it all need to be when re-assembling?

Once I get it back it'll be time to put it in ... and hopefully my fear of doing it will go away. Doesn't look to hard but I lack friends in the area who know this stuff, don't have a garage so it might be pretty interesting to do alone. :D I can take apart interiors and have done all my other mods but something about the turbo swap has made me nervous. lol
Scroll through these:

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was EASY. I think my mistake was in looking up how to do it in the first place. Added an unnecessary level of complexity when really it's just a few small screws on the cold side and some clamps on the hot side.

Some bad ass technology these things are. So simple and yet you can see the shape and size of all the pieces were meticulously chosen and produced.

Next stop: Ceramic coating and then in three or four weeks, it's B I G T U R B O Time. :D

Reactions: TurboGT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts