Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the ST up to the Dragon today. First time Ive really been able to throw it around since I bought it. Learned a few things. It needs an oil cooler, better brake pads, better tires, stiffer springs, adjustable dampers, bigger sway bars, and needs to be rear wheel drive. First time Ive done the Dragon in something with less than 400hp and rwd since 2011. Just never could get in a groove with the car. The quick ratio steering rack really messed with me. Todays trip pretty much made me decide not to mod the ST cause it would take too many mods to get it where it needs to be and would prolly make it a terrible DD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, relatively slow but when the engine is living at 5500 rpms or better in 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 4th it got pretty warm today. 3rd hashmark on the temp gauge and it was only 67deg ambient.

·
Registered
36 Posts
why were you revving it out so high? no need to rev much past 5500 RPM IMO

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not to sound like a ****, but did you read about this car before you bought it? Or test drive it? I dunno sounds like all common mods people do besides the oil cooler, which is one that is gaining steam. Maybe you needed a stang not a ST? It seems like you have plenty of experience in cars, it also seems like the ST is pretty different than your past ones though, some coilovers and tires sounds like it will solve 95% of your issues. Obviously the FWD can't do much about without putting in a new lsd and even then I am sure it wouldn't be the same as a rwd or awd.

Reactions: DailyDriver

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to sound like a ****, but did you read about this car before you bought it? Or test drive it? I dunno sounds like all common mods people do besides the oil cooler, which is one that is gaining steam. Maybe you needed a stang not a ST? It seems like you have plenty of experience in cars, it also seems like the ST is pretty different than your past ones though, some coilovers and tires sounds like it will solve 95% of your issues. Obviously the FWD can't do much about without putting in a new lsd and even then I am sure it wouldn't be the same as a rwd or awd.
I read plenty about the ST and test drove my buddy's stock 2013. Im not saying its a bad car but all the reviews make it sound like its the best thing since sliced bread. I just never felt like the car and I were on the same page. Maybe its cause I've never driven a turbo car or its been a long time since Ive driven a hot hatch FWD car, I dont know. Maybe the Goodyear F1s are just too unpredictable for me. My other cars, I know what they are going to do before they do it. As for needing a Mustang....maybe I do need one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I read plenty about the ST and test drove my buddy's stock 2013. Im not saying its a bad car but all the reviews make it sound like its the best thing since sliced bread. I just never felt like the car and I were on the same page. Maybe its cause I've never driven a turbo car or its been a long time since Ive driven a hot hatch FWD car, I dont know. Maybe the Goodyear F1s are just too unpredictable for me. My other cars, I know what they are going to do before they do it. As for needing a Mustang....maybe I do need one.
Give it some time. Learn the car and go from there, the car is very well suited for the tail and or most spirited driving, just can't expect it to be/handle and perform like a Mustang. 2 totally different animals.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Try spending your time between 3700-5000rpm instead.

The throttle is not an on/off switch, roll in and out. Our car responds very well though mid corner with low throttle input, and over steers with off throttle. Roll in a little hot let the off throttle oversteer point you in your proper direction, and just like in proper driving start getting on the throttle once the radius of the turn starts to increase.

Also the Stock Eagles are pretty good, yes there are better tires, but the Eagles are pretty sticky.

Leave ESP on, but turn traction control off, you should have fun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I understand they are 2 different cars...check my sig. I have both. I was just being a d***.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Doing canyons runs where I'm at with such a high elevation also makes everything pretty hot. I started running an oversized oil filter, and the extra 1/2 quart of oil capacity helped a little, but I agree 100% on the car needing an oil cooler. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Intercooler needed long before you would need oil cooler.

Thing heat soaks fast and high temps and high elevation I can see it pulling timing like crazy and making it feel sluggish/gutless.

I've driven a lot of the other available hot hatches/compacts so far in North America and the ST's won me over by a fair margin for DD/everything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Most things you mention are things S550 owners upgrade too so what's the difference?
Just dont know how to justify putting that much money into a Focus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the end of the day its still a FWD.
True that but we all knew that when we purchased these cars. Invest a grand plus some labor in the mountune clubsport suspension upgrade and see if that doesn't alleviate some of your issues. Also which tires do u have?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nobody really. I will say this, and you guys will probably laugh but I love the shifter position and feel. I also like the gearing and the ST1 seats are really comfy on long drives.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Nobody really. I will say this, and you guys will probably laugh but I love the shifter position and feel. I also like the gearing and the ST1 seats are really comfy on long drives.
I will say this as far as putting the money into it, as far as I see it. I bought this car as a car that was gonna be fun to drive and knowing I would mod it. I knew it would lose value at a decent clip and I would never make my money back on any upgrades I do. But I wanted a car I could have fun in that wasn't an off road vehicle. This car is it for me, it's pretty cheap, fun as hell (to me) and even if I mod it pretty crazy I still am spending less than I did on my truck stereo alone. So for me it's worth it in smiles. I also plan on keeping this car at least 5 years, maybe 10 or more. It isn't my only car and I plan on only using it in summer and nice weather.

If I was on the fence with my finances, or family situation etc and wasn't sure how long I'd keep it, then I would be like you and not want to put any money into it as it would be a waste. But if you are planning on having the car for a long time and can afford to, bite the bullet and mod the thing! If you aren't sure about it's future with you, then don't bother and just try to enjoy the little things while using it as a daily driver until you get into a RWD monster again!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts