Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The tighter gap is to insure that running more boost while tuned wont "blow out" the spark.
I'd definitely replace those plugs. They're pretty used looking.
Ok I do have good news, I went with the NGK as suggested above. (Just on the #2 plug and it’s gapped at 31 on the Jibrone disk check wheel I bought today) My shop tech thought he had the compression tool at our shop, when I opened it was the Diesel setup….. JOE!!
Anyways I’m going to drop all new plugs in it and gap em at 26 as suggested this weekend and give it a try.
Joe is going to bring me the right set, and I’ll report on how all of you reading below hit the bottom or sides on reaming out my little T3…. Lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm torn on how much detail to give, because I don't want to upset the owners of these cars. The STOA instructors all flat-out advised us (the students) to "drive them like you stole them". I drove 3 or 4 different STOA Focus cars, and 3 or 4 different STOA Fiesta cars, and they all had slight differences in how they built boost, but none of them overheated that I saw, and none of them had excessive rattles, alignment issues or anything that would make you think they were in bad condition. They let them idle in between sessions (so those cars were running all day) and we were asked to park them with the e-brakes off so the rear pads didn't melt to the rotors after a session (which is common practice for any track event in any car)).

I drove all of them as hard as I dared (I didn't buy the insurance, which I should have, because they truly let you do whatever you want, outside of passing in corners). Initially, I did bump the limiter several times (not realizing that the car was pretty much done making power over 5600 RPM) but never over-revved on downshifts- but during other people's sessions, a few of us were watching from a few of the corners and witnessed many people mechanically over-revving the cars, incorrectly down-shifting. I guess they can take abuse- because they all kept going, as far as I could tell. I was witness to several OTE's (Off Track Excursions)- one of which resulted in a damaged bumper and fender, but it was superficial and the car continued on. One of the instructors told me that the cars get regularly torn-down and brakes, tires, and damaged body panels were changed on many / most of the cars after each STOA event. Less frequent were major repairs like severe impacts to the front ends, and the resulting frame damage, and damaged radiators (they all used the mountune triple-pass units), radiator supports, head lights, clutches, turbos etc., but those were projects a few times a season. Most people in attendance had never been on a race track before, and some of those people were not all that proficient at driving manual trans cars.

From my vantage point as a participant, a large proportion of attendees were inexperienced, and understandably too scared to go fast enough to get into too much trouble. Then there were people who were inexperienced, but watched too many "Fast and Furious" movies, and were maybe too excited to know that they shouldn't be trying to go "fast" (which were the people who were of most concern to the instructors, as they were aware they might be dangerous). Then there were a few people who had been on a race track before, and knew their limitations, and were aggressive, but afraid of damaging the car / messing up the event for others. Then maybe there was one or two people who raced cars as a hobby, and were comfortable crushed into the seat with the harnesses sufficiently tight. I fit somewhere into the last two types of drivers. I was one of the fastest - but that's not saying much, because most people were new to track racing and were proceeding slow and with relative caution. Because of that- I'd catch cars very quickly, then have to coast behind them, awaiting a passing zone to downshift and get around them. I ended up pitting in, and asked to be put back out as late as possible, so I could play around without lap traffic immediately in front of me.

My impression of these cars from that event is that they are really fun and reliable as track cars.

I hope the folks who own STOA cars are having fun with them. Know that there were a LOT of smiles in those cars.
I don’t know how much you could have rated the experience more perfectly, I did hear a TON of noises out of the track cars that you certainly wouldn’t expect in your commuter.
Remembering this from my trip in ‘19 none of the FoST cars seemed to smoke or have issues, they were kept on the big track and practice for the auto cross.
I was apprehensive on buying it, when I got it home I took it to my local dealer and we looked thru all of it, suspension’s front and rear, sub frames, mounts, roll cage to frame. It’s all spot on. The car is VERY durable.
I lowered my 18 daily and sometimes it scares me, I really feel more solid in the STOA car for control, and it has a better sound system!! ;)

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts
I don’t know how much you could have rated the experience more perfectly, I did hear a TON of noises out of the track cars that you certainly wouldn’t expect in your commuter.
Remembering this from my trip in ‘19 none of the FoST cars seemed to smoke or have issues, they were kept on the big track and practice for the auto cross.
I was apprehensive on buying it, when I got it home I took it to my local dealer and we looked thru all of it, suspension’s front and rear, sub frames, mounts, roll cage to frame. It’s all spot on. The car is VERY durable.
I lowered my 18 daily and sometimes it scares me, I really feel more solid in the STOA car for control, and it has a better sound system!! ;)
I really liked those cars, I would had buy me one. The roll cage makes the car stiffer, more solid feel than regular STs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The oil spray from the dipstick hole is normal, it's not meant to be ran with dipstick or oil cap off

Definitely look into the battery cable and the misfire
I took the cable off tonight from the bus bar, that connection was clean. I didn’t completely remove it because of the white wire that is crimped into it. Mu little man and I did the chemical s experiment with Coke and cleaned it all up. Power up is still just as expected.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts