Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there are two options for which air filter you may acquire when you purchase the cp-e intake. May be a dumb question but is there a difference between the two filters? If so, explain.

·
Registered
795 Posts
As far as I can tell, One you have to oil, the other you don't

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you go over to BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) they are big nay-sayers of oiled filters because of the silicone from the oil that goes on oil filters. You'd have to over oil pretty badly to put your silicone levels to a dangerous point for your motor though. But even oiled filters have lowered filtration because they "flow" better. Personally I would go with a well designed paper filter. I'm not sure exactly how much the possible lowered filtration and raised silicone levels in engine oil would affect engine longevity, but I'd take the safe route from since you're only likely to gain .5hp at most from the best flowing filter from the worst. The only nice thing about oiled is that they are reusable and save a little money

·
Registered
557 Posts
I see there are two options for which air filter you may acquire when you purchase the cp-e intake. May be a dumb question but is there a difference between the two filters? If so, explain.
Synoil = our oiled filter
DFlow = our dry filter
Technically the Oiled filter will trap more dirt/particles than the dry filter, it will also allow slightly more air flow. The downsides are maintenance, you have to clean it more often and be careful NOT to over oil the filter. Being oiled it is a bit messier.
The dry flow there's no oil to worry about getting dried out. Cleaning is a bit easier since there's no oil to worry about. With both you can buy our prefilter, which basically is a nylon sock that fits over your filter, it's water resistant and also blocks a lot of the larger particles that might get lodged in your filter.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the oiled filter (Synoil) with the pre-filter. It stays pretty clean and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know I'm very tardy to the party (4 years), but any chance you still have a silver kit laying around? Would look great on my ingot silver instead of the black that I was planning on purchasing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts