Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, just bought a 2018 st2 and while browsing Google for all the mods I can think of I came across a problem with the synchros. seems like 3rd gear synchro is the issue. I did use the search function and Google but cant find if this issue was eventually addressed by ford or if its still ongoing. I saw that synchrotech makes some upgraded synchros and didn't know if its worth installing those or if only certain year st's were affected.
sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it on here lol

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Your research served you well!! The synchros are the weak spot in the trans for all model years. The stock synchros seem to do fine if you don't push the car's performance limits. However, they are a common failure point for those who push the car hard.

You're correct that aftermarket companies sell much more robust synchro options for our cars - I just don't know who they are off the top of my head. There are more than a few guys here who can let you know the best synchro options available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping it would have been fixed that sucks haha
so the synchros basically fail from beating on the car? under normal driving conditions with occasional pulls should be ok?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't worry until gear changes become a problem. Under normal driving with an occasional flogging they should be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thats good to hear, my mild ocd gets the best of me sometimes lol
I was thinking of picking up a set of the synchros for when I replace the clutch. there seems to be 2 options, one is from mountune the other is from team factory syncromesh. is one better then the other? the one from mountune has a complete kit of bearings and some assorted hardware for 600 while the synchromesh one seems to be just the synchros. is a full kit needed or just the synchros themselves?

·
1,556 Posts
I was hoping it would have been fixed that sucks haha
so the synchros basically fail from beating on the car? under normal driving conditions with occasional pulls should be ok?
Just my opinion, but I think the elephant in the room is the addition of any number of the throw modifications. With the reduction in throw you're also speeding up the shift itself which is increased pressure on the synchro as well as reducing the time it has to do its job. This includes daily driving scenarios. Of course they're Going to fail much sooner.

I run the stock shift setup (with a ford racing knob) and i personally love how it feels. Buttery smooth shifts even when running it hard.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ok thats good to hear, my mild ocd gets the best of me sometimes lol
I was thinking of picking up a set of the synchros for when I replace the clutch. there seems to be 2 options, one is from mountune the other is from team factory syncromesh. is one better then the other? the one from mountune has a complete kit of bearings and some assorted hardware for 600 while the synchromesh one seems to be just the synchros. is a full kit needed or just the synchros themselves?
Don’t see a kit on the site but 1,2,3 and 4 are available.

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
Don’t see a kit on the site but 1,2,3 and 4 are available.

I'd go with Synchrotech over the Speeds. For better CS and faster shipping.

I'm quite familiar with them, because my trans was the test trans for Speed's synchros, and I had to replace the ones they pu in with Synchrotechs (kinda prototype synchros, and some OEM mixed, thats a story in my build thread.

@BenzoFury if you plan on modding heavy, it makes more sense to drop the trans, do a LSD and synchros BEFORE you have any issues. If you start having issues, you will most likely be replacing more than just synchros. Once a Synchro goes, you are mauling the shifter hub and synchro interface on the gear itself. Which those parts are not cheap, or easy to get a hold of. Plus the downtime you'd experience.

Kinda makes sens to do a clutch too, whie the trans is out.

Buying a junkyard trans, and building it on the side, is a great move. If you can swing the investment. They are normally like 800-1200 bucks. Sometimes cheaper. I think I snagged mine for 400.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Duece McCracken
yeah I was thinking about doing the lsd as well. so was the kit on mountune the speed brand one you had issues with? kinda liked i could just order a full kit with the bearings but guess it dosent matter as I could just buy the bearings and the synchrotech kit separately. when you were working on yours did you need the full kit with the bearings or is just the synchros fine to drop in and reuse the old bearings and hardware? there's a performance tranny place close to my house i was just going to take it there and let them install it but I want to make sure they have everything they need, no surprises.

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
@Duece McCracken
yeah I was thinking about doing the lsd as well. so was the kit on mountune the speed brand one you had issues with? kinda liked i could just order a full kit with the bearings but guess it dosent matter as I could just buy the bearings and the synchrotech kit separately. when you were working on yours did you need the full kit with the bearings or is just the synchros fine to drop in and reuse the old bearings and hardware? there's a performance tranny place close to my house i was just going to take it there and let them install it but I want to make sure they have everything they need, no surprises.

It's a bit of a read, but theres some info.

My experiences with Speed's synchros are not the same experiences a new kit should have. These were the first aftermarket synchros for our platfom, literally prototypes, and we had a very special set of interactions over 6 plus months. Their shipping delays and not amazing CS are a constant though.

Pretty sure the Mountune kit is Synchrotechs. Mountune loves rebranding things they source from other companies.

I bought the bearing and bolt kit from Mountune though. The Synchros I bought directly from Synchrotech through the forum here. @MFactory is the partnered vendor, and I always have a great experience dealing with them. They also have a LSD, which I have been running for 70,000 miles at this point.

You can't reuse the bearings on the top of the countershafts, you have to destroy them to remove them. You kinda want the new left hand threaded countershaft bolts too, they are a one time use.

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
so basically this is all I need? thanks for your help on this!

600 bucks? Wtf Mountune.

That includes their Differential install kit, hence the ring gear bolts and diff bearings with axle seals. So technically no, unless you are doing a LSD as well.

You can piece that stuff together for cheaper, the only parts I couldnt really find elsewhere, are the countershaft left hand thread bolts.

So buying this is the only thing you really need specifically from Mountune. Unless you just want to reuse your countershaft bolts, then you can source the bearings elsewhere for cheaper.

If you plan on buying a LSD, you may be able to get a deal on the LSD and Synchros from Mfactory, if you politely PM them. Which I highly suggest doing. They rock.

Reactions: Habriant40

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
funny how expensive bolts and bearings can be lol ill give them a message and see what happens. I'll prob wait till the spring to get this done but for some reason it feels cheaper to me to buy the parts now and pay for the labor later. also helps keep my wife off my money trail..... thanks for all the help

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
funny how expensive bolts and bearings can be lol ill give them a message and see what happens. I'll prob wait till the spring to get this done but for some reason it feels cheaper to me to buy the parts now and pay for the labor later. also helps keep my wife off my money trail..... thanks for all the help

If you want to piece the parts (bearings, seals, etc) we can get you a list of part numbers. Would probably save you some cash, and may be easier to sneak in some parts here and there, lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that would be awesome, yeah she's smart she knows when my car sounds different the bank account is lower haha thank God for overtime, and credit cards

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are synchros the weak point? Or is it people who think they know how to drive a manual gear box car when really they don’t because they don’t rev match on downshifts or they miss shift gears etc. ?

·
Super Moderator
7,560 Posts
Are synchros the weak point? Or is it people who think they know how to drive a manual gear box car when really they don’t because they don’t rev match on downshifts or they miss shift gears etc. ?
Well, there are a whole lot of high mileage ST's running around that have never had an issue with the transmission.

Reactions: michael_ST

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, there are a whole lot of high mileage ST's running around that have never had an issue with the transmission.
Turning 100k in a day or two. No issues but I’m 54 and driving all manner of manual transmission vehicles for 30+ years. Try a well worn Spicer 7 speed in a 50K straight body. Think can’t find the gates and if you miss one start from 1st or maybe double clutch and rev match if your lucky and find the right one.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yea, think it’s more so the operators that are causing a weak spot in their synchros. I’m around 120K miles. My trans is great, I regularly drive spiritedly through my back roads near my house and my transmission feels the same as when I first bought it. Just gotta take care of your machine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts