Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago I replaced the Sony front door speakers in my car with an Infinity component set. Everything else was left stock. The speakers work great, but since then, Sync3 has been acting very strangely.

• Every time I turn the car on, the FM radio comes on, regardless of the source it was previously set to, or even it was OFF.
  • I cannot delete any bluetooth devices. If I delete one, then power cycle Sync, it just comes right back.
  • Every time I plug in a mobile phone, it runs through the first time Carplay/Android Auto setup, as if it's the first time it has seen the phone.
  • I cannot perform a master reset of Sync. If I hit the Master Reset button, it runs through the factory reset. But once Sync restarts, everything is back just the way it was - no master reset is actually performed.
  • I cannot update via USB. It does not begin installing.

When I replaced the front component speakers, I followed Skizzo's directions to route the woofer wires from the Sony amp to the supplied aftermarket crossovers and off to the speakers. Then, cut and tape off the tweeter connections from the amp since they are not used. I'm not sure how this could lead to strange software behavior in the Sync3/Sony amp, but I'm all ears...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Im pretty sure what I read is that the un-used speaker signals (tweeters) need to be connected full circuit, the positive to the negative with some type of resistance in the line to mimic being connected to an actual speaker. You cant let them sit unconnected/idle, it screws up the internal circuitry. That is one piece I can pass on to help you. This is true with Sync 2 systems at very least.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pretty sure what I read is that the un-used speaker signals (tweeters) need to be connected full circuit, the positive to the negative with some type of resistance in the line to mimic being connected to an actual speaker. You cant let them sit unconnected/idle, it screws up the internal circuitry. That is one piece I can pass on to help you. This is true with Sync 2 systems at very least.
Thanks, I've heard something like this as well, but admittedly glossed over it. Are you aware of any resistors I could connect to those unused tweeter wires?

·
Super Moderator
9,804 Posts
Thanks, I've heard something like this as well, but admittedly glossed over it. Are you aware of any resistors I could connect to those unused tweeter wires?
You'd need a resistor that is rated the same ohm and wattage as the tweeter it replaces.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I am pretty sure some people can make the same thing for real cheap, I remember reading about people making home made "resistor tables", just need to do the research and buy any basic resistor and put it in the circuit somehow. But what I have here is the simple more reliable answer and the way I went.

I cant remember the specifics (though I know it on this forum somewhere) but I remember this product from Audio Control was almost a perfect match in providing the right amount of resistance to mimic OEM speaker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts