Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I have tried everything, there is NO option to make this thing play songs alphabetically, it will sort by artist alphabetically genre, and ablum, but not by song... I am using a VERY old iPod, its over 10 years old, I even took the car to the dealer, and they were stumped. Their solution was to just make a playlist in itunes that has all the songs in the order I want, then it will work. But that kinda feels like putting a bandaid on it and calling it a day. I want a real solution. I can go into sync and go to "browse-songs" and there! low and behold the system has everything indexed by song alphabetically! But the second I click on the song at the top of the list, BOOM it plays a completely different song than I selected and it is indexing by artist again.... GRAAHH!!

The annoying part is, I had somehow, mistakenly made it work properly in the past! About a week ago it was playing by song name! And I have NO IDEA how I got it to do it, but I was stupid and told it to play a song I wanted to hear over voice command, which never works... and it started indexing by artist again and I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get it back the way I had it....

Please help.... FYI its the regular sync system, not sync 3

Thank you

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
I'm a little unclear about exactly what you're doing, but I'll assume that you are using the iPod as a file device, that the iPod is connected via a USB cable to the car because the iPod lacks Bluetooth, and that you are using MyFordTouch's song player instead of the player in the iPod. In other words, you are using the iPod as a USB stick.

In MyFordTouch, if you go "Browse" and "Music" you'll see options for...

... artist. Sorted alphabetically.
... album. Sorted alphabetically.
... song. Sorted alphabetically.

Here's the catch: it gets all of this information from the tags on the files. If you're not familiar with tags, they are data that is part of the .MP3 file (.AAC, or whatever you're using) but is not part of the music. Tags say things like "Artist" and "Album" and "Title" and "#" (referring to the song number in the album tag associated with the song). To ensure the best experience playing audio files with MFT, make sure that the tags on your songs are populated and correct. I don't know what MFT does if the tags aren't populated, but I suspect it reverts solely to file name and will lists artist, album, and song as "unknown". A reason I don't know/can't remember what MFT does when there are no tags is because I always make sure my tags are correct, because this is how to ensure a good playback experience on any device, using any software (like my phone)

If you already know how to set tags, please ignore the following, If you don't use Windows, please ignore the following.

To set tags in a single file with Windows File Explorer:
(1) Right-click on the file and select Properties.
(2) Go to the Details tab. Set tags as you wish. Commit the changes.

To set tags on multiple files at the same time with Windows File Explorer:
(1) Select one or more files in Explorer.
(2) Right-click anywhere on the highlighted selection.
(3) Go to the Details tab. Set tags as you wish. Remember that any value you enter for a given tag will be set for the tag in all the files in the collection. This permits easier setting of fields like artist, album, year, genre, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little unclear about exactly what you're doing, but I'll assume that you are using the iPod as a file device, that the iPod is connected via a USB cable to the car because the iPod lacks Bluetooth, and that you are using MyFordTouch's song player instead of the player in the iPod. In other words, you are using the iPod as a USB stick.

In MyFordTouch, if you go "Browse" and "Music" you'll see options for...

... artist. Sorted alphabetically.
... album. Sorted alphabetically.
... song. Sorted alphabetically.

Here's the catch: it gets all of this information from the tags on the files. If you're not familiar with tags, they are data that is part of the .MP3 file (.AAC, or whatever you're using) but is not part of the music. Tags say things like "Artist" and "Album" and "Title" and "#" (referring to the song number in the album tag associated with the song). To ensure the best experience playing audio files with MFT, make sure that the tags on your songs are populated and correct. I don't know what MFT does if the tags aren't populated, but I suspect it reverts solely to file name and will lists artist, album, and song as "unknown". A reason I don't know/can't remember what MFT does when there are no tags is because I always make sure my tags are correct, because this is how to ensure a good playback experience on any device, using any software (like my phone)

If you already know how to set tags, please ignore the following, If you don't use Windows, please ignore the following.

To set tags in a single file with Windows File Explorer:
(1) Right-click on the file and select Properties.
(2) Go to the Details tab. Set tags as you wish. Commit the changes.

To set tags on multiple files at the same time with Windows File Explorer:
(1) Select one or more files in Explorer.
(2) Right-click anywhere on the highlighted selection.
(3) Go to the Details tab. Set tags as you wish. Remember that any value you enter for a given tag will be set for the tag in all the files in the collection. This permits easier setting of fields like artist, album, year, genre, etc.
You are correct, i am using mft. but now i am curious, there is a way to control the music using the ipod's music player?

Also, when i go into browse, i can go to the song list, but there is no "play all" option at the top like there is with artist, album and genre. And when i click on a song in that list, it always skips the the song that would be first on the alphabetize by artist list. Its very annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Shuffle is off

What Ipod do you have. You did say it's older. I know the Nano has no real playlists.
Also let sync do the full index.
I remember seeing on the 'Ford Owner's' website something about an update for Ipods,(sync my ITunes) available.

Good Luck
I use a 32g USB for my music. holds about 4K+ songs. I just keep it plugged-in. Sync can handle almost an unlimited external storage space. Of course the bigger the drive, the longer the initial indexing will take.
Also, if you don't have Nav, the SD card slot can be used for music as well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yeah, get a USB thumb drive.

Put all your music on it. Plug it in one of the USB ports.

Done. All your music, in the car and all accessible via voice commands.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leaving it plugged in wont drain my battery right? I know on these newer fords the charge ports are always live

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill definitely pick up a thumb drive after work today, they are cheap enough, and the battery on my ipod is shot, it gets burning hot when left plugged in and i am worried it will catch fire.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I found my old 16gb USB drive from when I was in high school, cleared it off and copied over all of my music. Plugged it into the car's USB 2 port in the console and vuala. All problems have been corrected, songs now index alphabetically by name, when I call out a song name in voice commands sync plays the CORRECT song, and I choose any song I want in the browse option and the correct song plays! Thanks guys for all the help! Great suggestion to use the flash drive! :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Update: I found my old 16gb USB drive from when I was in high school....
LMAO, this made me feel so old. When I graduated high school, the first compact flash card was still 2yrs away (a whopping 64MB) and 100MB Zip Disks were the next best thing.

Glad the flash drive solved all. I will miss my iPod a little, but not terribly. I have fonder memories of rewinding cassette tapes with a pencil so my batteries would last through a field trip, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still have my walkmen, I actually came across it looking for my Flash lol. True that, I have great memories of listening to mix tapes on long summer road trips when I was a boy.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You haven't lived till you play Slayer/Angel of Death on a Teddy Ruxpin.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
OMG i remember those! You put the cassette and he dances to it xD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts