Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I forget what I was looking up the other day online but then I saw something about using FordPass to lock/unlock and start your car from your phone. I got all excited, downloaded the app, entered my info and vin, and the app had basically no options available for me (2016 Focus ST). So after calling customer service, I found out it's only for the 2017 models.

Does anybody know what hardware they're using/if we can put it in a 2016? Of it even works in an ST to begin with (because of the whole manual trans not being kosher for auto-start)?

Or if we can't use that, does RemoteAccess work on the 2016 ST / which hardware unit is compatible? The remote access website was so vague, it had like 4 different options to select for my model but didn't seem specific.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
You don't have the embedded modem or any of the required software for sync connect, and there is no official OEM remote start system for manual transmission vehicles. Remote access via cellphone costs $49 per year plus installation, so although the compatibility site says a 16-17 Focus is compatible, presumably that's only for the 1.0L automatic and the 2.0L GDI automatic transmission equipped models that can have remote start installed. If it requires a remote start system then it's not compatible with the ST period.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Remote access requires upgrading to the vehicle security system - Ford Perimeter Plus (GJ5Z-19A361-A at MSRP of $198.57 which doesn't require remote start but can support it's upgrade, plus the remote access kit (DL3Z-19A390-B) for a retail price of $385.71, for a subtotal cost plus or minus tax and install of $584.28

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you made that very easy for me! lol Thanks
But damn, that's expensive for just auto start, which I'd only want when it's like below 10 degrees outside.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't have the embedded modem or any of the required software for sync connect, and there is no official OEM remote start system for manual transmission vehicles. Remote access via cellphone costs $49 per year plus installation, so although the compatibility site says a 16-17 Focus is compatible, presumably that's only for the 1.0L automatic and the 2.0L GDI automatic transmission equipped models that can have remote start installed. If it requires a remote start system then it's not compatible with the ST period.
Oooh I only saw your second post...I missed this one. Welp, then there's my answer. I don't have to be sad about how expensive it is now, because I can't use it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oooh I only saw your second post...I missed this one. Welp, then there's my answer. I don't have to be sad about how expensive it is now, because I can't use it anyway.
Hello. I don't have an ST, but I stumbled across this topic. Google Ford SmartLink. It basically gives the 2017 sync connect functionality to any 2010 to 2016 vehicles. It doesn't seem to be available yet, but the articles about it say Summer 2017. Hope that helps.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...2016-vehicles-with-connectivity-features.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts