Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2017 ST3 with the latest and greatest sync3 and automatic WiFi updates so I'm pretty sure I have the most up to date maps....BUT

The maps kind of suck sometimes, specifically when searching for POIs. I've only had the car for about 5 weeks and already probably about 5 times I've tried searching for a POI and it doesn't exist. Usually these places are "newer" but by newer I mean I tried searching a restaurant that I know has been around for almost 2 years yet it wasn't in the system.

I resort to using android auto (with google maps) which has awesome capability but it's extremely glitchy, way more than just the sync3 system. So I actually prefer the ford system, plus it doesn't use my limited cell data.

Does anyone know of any kind of updates you can do to the sync3 maps so it has more up to date info on addresses/locations/newer roads?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
from my experience, when manufactures create these nav systems, they just farm out the mapping data by buying it from another company that just does that(or at least specializes in it). when you factor in the time it takes them to get all of the map data and then send it out to the manufactures (especially OEMs) there can be a pretty big delay. I've seen companies like pioneer release brand new map updates and the date still be a year or so behind. I've seen older ford system be even further behind (I'm not sure who for is buying the map data from for the sync 3 systems) add to that not all mapping data companies are created equal and often some may have pretty good road data but often have a very poor POI database.

unfortunately google has spoiled us with their far reaching resources, no company will be able to compete with google in this area for their POI database as they can be updated instantly and is tied directly to their search information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ford most definitely has newer maps on the 2018 model vehicles. I checked various cars at the LA Auto Show last week and the state of the maps and versions of Sync 3 is all over the place. Certain cars had maps version NA 1 16, while others had NA 1 15. Some cars had updated Sync 3 v3.0 systems, while others were still on 2.0, 2.2 or 2.3. The limited edition FoRS on display had maps NA 1 14 and Sync 3 v1, which I thought was interesting.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford most definitely has newer maps on the 2018 model vehicles. I checked various cars at the LA Auto Show last week and the state of the maps and versions of Sync 3 is all over the place. Certain cars had maps version NA 1 16, while others had NA 1 15. Some cars had updated Sync 3 v3.0 systems, while others were still on 2.0, 2.2 or 2.3. The limited edition FoRS on display had maps NA 1 14 and Sync 3 v1, which I thought was interesting.
Hmm that is interesting. I'd like to know what version I have. Is there an easy way to check this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's very simple. I'm not at my car now, but if memory serves me correct, you go into Settings -> General -> About Sync.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's very simple. I'm not at my car now, but if memory serves me correct, you go into Settings -> General -> About Sync.
Gracias! I'll check it out today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts