Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm curious as to what feedback everyone else has on SYNC 3.

I'm a little bit frustrated with the whole apple car play. When I first get in the car I sometimes have issues with playing music when I plug my phone in directly. Like I'll hit play on the display...no music, so then I'll press play on my phone, no music. So then I go into sources to select my iphone as a source and sometimes it will start playing, sometimes not. Sometimes it works one of the other two ways, its random. Pretty much the only feature I like that can only be used through Apple car play is the text messaging feature. Siri is pretty accurate at understanding what I'm saying.

I also prefer the navigation program that comes loaded into the display better than using Google maps through apple car play. If they had Waze on there, I'd for sure use that.

So most of the time I just find myself using just the Bluetooth connection which just makes having Apple CarPlay pointless, but I do understand this is relatively new so they have to work out the kinks.

Anyone have work arounds for these gripes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford added a feature to Sync that if you push and hold the voice command button and you have Siri access enabled when the phone is locked it lets you use Siri to send messages. I'm also not impressed with CarPlay but Siri Eyes Free has been a good work around. This works on my 2016, supposedly it also works for all Ford models that offer Sync since 2011.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...ur-iphone-and-siri-eyes-free-with-sync-3.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will say that the Sync 3 system is a HUGE upgrade over the MyFord Touch System. I sell Fords and it was a drastic improvement. I hate the MyFord Touch in my car. I don't even pair my phone as it's virtually useless and since I only drive 2 miles to work, no need anyways.

When you bought the car, did you make sure that the Sync 3 system was fully updated? Even if you ordered the car the system could use an upgrade. I did find though that Androids respond better to Sync 3 as the system is powered by Blackberry. Hope this helps a little.

I do agree that the Nav system from the factory is better than Google Maps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Android user. No issues. I use Android Auto when I need to, as the navigation and voice options are much better with AA.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How did you use Google Maps on CarPlay? As I understand it the only navigation option on CarPlay is Apple Maps.

That said I am forcing myself to use CarPlay for a month.

The Good
  1. Siri integration. It's fantastic compared to the SYNC 3 voice recognition. Be ing able to say "Directions to the nearest Publix" is amazing. It also will load direction to meetings and appoitments in my calander if it's close to time for the event.
  2. Audible app - I love being able to choose another book or skip back 30 seconds
  3. Speed - This one is depending on ypur phone, I have a iPhone 7 Plus and it's amazingly fast

The Bad
  1. Only navigation option is Apple Maps. If items like Waze were allowed it would be so much better. Apple maps looks horrible.
  2. Audio apps freaquntly crash requiring me to reopen them

Also just so you know, IF you want to use USB with SYNC 3 and no CarPlay, go into settings on your phone, Goto the general section, Select restrictions. You may need to set a restrictions code but once thats done you can disable CarPlay and it will work like it did before CarPlay was added to SYNC 3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you use Google Maps on CarPlay? As I understand it the only navigation option on CarPlay is Apple Maps.

That said I am forcing myself to use CarPlay for a month.

The Good
  1. Siri integration. It's fantastic compared to the SYNC 3 voice recognition. Be ing able to say "Directions to the nearest Publix" is amazing. It also will load direction to meetings and appoitments in my calander if it's close to time for the event.
  2. Audible app

Good to know that I can disable Car Play. It might be called Apple maps....I just assumed it was google maps because it looks just like it. I just like using the navigation included with the car because it shows the speed limits at the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say that the Sync 3 system is a HUGE upgrade over the MyFord Touch System. I sell Fords and it was a drastic improvement. I hate the MyFord Touch in my car. I don't even pair my phone as it's virtually useless and since I only drive 2 miles to work, no need anyways.

When you bought the car, did you make sure that the Sync 3 system was fully updated? Even if you ordered the car the system could use an upgrade. I did find though that Androids respond better to Sync 3 as the system is powered by Blackberry. Hope this helps a little.

I do agree that the Nav system from the factory is better than Google Maps.
So me dealer explained to me that if I went into the settings when I got home and connected the car to my home wifi network it would automatically download updates for me when my car is parked at home. If this is true, it should be the most up to date right? I have no idea on how I would do a manual update.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So me dealer explained to me that if I went into the settings when I got home and connected the car to my home wifi network it would automatically download updates for me when my car is parked at home. If this is true, it should be the most up to date right? I have no idea on how I would do a manual update.
They have not released SYNC 3 2.2 out officially yet. In the thread I started titled Ford to charge for hardware upgrade etc tons of people have posted instructions.

That's said your dealer is correct.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This was a post I wrote on face book to someone trying to update their system:

"And apple and android car play isn't really worth it. There is somethings you can only do with your phone, some things you can only do with the sync system and it's a pain in the ass to switch back and forth. And you use more data, especially if you use the navigation on your phone. And you have to have your phone plugged in to use apple car play anyway. My friend had it in their 2017 Escape and it pissed me off so bad, I turned around, parked it and got back into my car. IMO, there is not a substantial or efficient difference between just plugging in your phone and using the regular sync system over using car play to make it worth the time, money or effort to switch"

I have not and will not ever update my system to have apple car play or android car play.

In regards to the SYNC 3 system, I love it. Pretty much every function; navigation, finding things that are near me, the idle screen, using Pandora.

The ONLY thing I would change is that I wish that there was a setting to turn on text message notifications while my phone is paired. It is so annoying to have it pop up and you have to either wait for it to go away or click cancel or whatever the button is to go away.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have not and will not ever update my system to have apple car play or android car play.
You can update SYNC and disable Android Auto and Apple CarPlay via the system settings. This way you could benefit from any potential SYNC feature updates while still avoiding having to use either system until you choose to, in the event they decide to make it feature-rich enough to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can update SYNC and disable Android Auto and Apple CarPlay via the system settings. This way you could benefit from any potential SYNC feature updates while still avoiding having to use either system until you choose to, in the event they decide to make it feature-rich enough to be worthwhile.
You mean, like Sync2 was supposed to be?

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
782 Posts
I dont know why or hwo someone can hate Android Auto. It is amazing, I see my spotify and maps on my screen If I need to get out of AA I can easily do that. I love Sync 3 so far, except the frequent volume issues over Bluetooth or USB.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Love it. In fact, after reading several threads/opinions, I really think I am going to forego the update (USB hardware). I had the opportunity to use Apple car play this week on a rental. The car didn't have nav, so using Apple maps through car play was convenient and OK, but certainly not my Sync maps. So basically I've discovered that if I had car play, I'd never use it. I hate apple maps (got me confuse and missed some guidance twice in the span of a week...never happens with google or sync) so I'd never use that, I can't use Amazon music, and can text through Siri anyways without CarPlay. Those were my factors anyways; just sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts