Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade

Alright guys, so this won't be anywhere near a full-featured guide as I didn't plan ahead to take pictures, but I have a fully working Sync 3 installed in my 2015 ST2. This should provide inspiration for anyone else interesting in Android Auto/Carplay/Higher quality HU.

Everything is working: steering wheel control, mic, camera, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. Since there's not much else out about doing this, I make no guarantees... YMMV, esp other years such as 13 and 14 or non MFT setups since I have no idea if those will work (plus non MFT will need more parts like the center console cover plus probably a wiring harness at minimum).
At the core you need only 2 things, the screen and the APIM, but I recommend getting a fakra gps as well. I sourced my screen and APIM out of a 2017 Ford Escape, but other models will likely be compatible. I had been trying to wait and find a wrecked Focus but found a good deal, ended up getting both the screen and the APIM for 250 shipped.

Sync 3 does change how GPS works, moving to a fakra gps setup. I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AKVX2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but others should work. This is only necessary if you have navigation, or would like the compass to work, supposedly it does work without.

So to start things off, disconnect battery so we don't damage anything.

Once that is done, the center console needs to be removed.

The above video outlines the process including screen and APIM removal. The video makes it look easy, but you have to pull very hard to get the panel to pop out. On the 15 there is a wire connector right behind the hazard button as well, that is fairly hard to remove as the cable is pretty short.

The screen can be removed from the dash at this point, there should be 4 torx screws holding it in place, remove all 4. The screen plus APIM are attached to eachother, and can be pulled out at this time. you may need to press up on the sun-shield part of the dash to fit it. There should be 2 connections to remove, one has a latch that you pull out, the other a clip. Both also are shown in that video.

If you got your parts from another Focus, you likely can just install the new setup. Since mine came from an Escape, the bracket needed to be removed. These have 4 very small torx bolts holding them in. I apologize, but I don't know the size, the tool I used was not labelled, I was just happy I had the right size.

From here, you can attach your cables to the new APIM. There is an extra connector on the back of a Sync 3 module, I'm not sure what it's for as I'm not using it, but everything is working. If you picked it up, you'll want to connect your new GPS module as well. There is a lot of empty flat space behind the APIM that you can stick it, I used double sided tape to place it behind.

Re-installation is just the reverse of what you've done. It's a fairly easy process to tear apart and put back together.

Once installed, Sync 3 was working immediately. There were some issues, backup camera did not work, the sd card slot does not work, and I would receive an occasional error about the usb hub not supported(I can hit ok and it continues and works fine), and it of course was listed as a Ford Escape in Bluetooth, but most things worked as mentioned. Steering controls, Android Auto, Voice, usb, etc. This is 90% there as plug and play.

I wanted to try flashing my car based on a 16 or 17, so I found a VIN that matched my options, and used https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt to generate an as-built file from that car's VIN. *Note: You will need to fill out country and language, then return to that link. It takes you to the homepage after setting options for some reason.

Edit: per pro510 in post 58, you can use your existing VIN. This is especially helpful for 2013s as it appears to get steering controls to work. Still use the motorcraft site to get you asbuilt config, but don't sorry about finding a similar 16+.

Once you've input a VIN, you can download a .ab file, which contains all of that car's configuration data, hence why you want to find an exact match to piggy-back off of.

******WARNING*********
You are modifying your cars configuration/programming if you do this next part. It will likely be fine, and you should be able to revert if something is wrong, but you have been warned. I will not and cannot help you, and Ford will not help you with this if something goes wrong. Do at your own risk.

With that said, as long as you've picked similar to exactly the same configuration you will likely be fine. You should also take the time to download your car's original as-built file from the motorcraft site using your personal VIN, that way if needed you can revert quickly and easier.

You will need to download Forscan Download FORScan
I did this with Windows, I have no idea if other platforms work with this.

You will also need an extended license for Forscan. This is free currently, but requires registration. FORScan forum ? Login

Finally, you will need an OBD diagnostic tool similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Diagnostic-ELM327-Bluetooth-Interface/dp/B00EQ57BE8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1490921004&sr=8-6&keywords=bluetooth obd elm

Follow the instructions on this page to configure Forscan to allow programming, including downloading the SBL files FORScan forum ? View topic - How to program Central Configuration using FORScan
We are going to do the load shown in step 4 of that post, and you'll use the file you downloaded from the motorcraft page. Once you've selected the file, write it to the car, it goes rather quickly.
Edit: you more than likely could limit to only writing to the APIM. I didn't attempt this, but it may be better than the kill and fill i more or less used

And congrats! If it worked as mine did, you now have a fully operational Sync 3 setup. Edit: forgot about usb. You still occasionally get the error I mentioned above, but it still works. Supposedly getting the new usb hub for Apple Carplay solves this. I have this part on order and will update accordingly.

If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer anything. I'm not opening my dash back up, but I can post pictures as requested.

I've added a few pictures including the error about the USB hub.

Update 4/15/17:
Sorry for being late on posting this, week ended up being much busier than I expected.
I've now got Apple Carplay working, along with the new USB hub. This also solves the error about a non compatible USB hub being attached. It is not difficult.
This time I did take pictures (albeit not the greatest).

Parts needed are the wire assembly, P/N WPT1239 and the new USB hub HU5Z-19A387-A.

So 15+ has a very simple way to access the hub. I believe 13 and 14 are different, though it wouldn't be too terrible to do from in the center console. Inside the center console on 15+ there are two flaps on the backside, pry those open (they're hinged on the top) with a trim tool/screwdriver/whatever you can fit between). There are two torx screws (think T25 if I remember right), unscrew and set aside.
20170406_182108[1].jpg

20170411_164610[1].jpg

The back side pries loose. Sit in the back seats and pull from the little cubby outwards, and then it should slide up and off. This gives you full access to the wiring, along with an easy way to pop out the USB hub.

Once that's done, we need to add in the new harness and the new hub. Technically the proper way would be to solder, but I didn't know where my soldering iron was, so I went with quick splice connectors. We are only using the outside wires on the WPT1239, with the 1 closest to the clip side being #4 and the one furthest #1. We need to connect #4 to the brown/white wire and #1 connected to the purple/grey wire. 2 and 3 can be taped off and ignored, we don't need those. Once wired up then push the old hub out, plug the new in (2 mini-usb and the new power connector) and you are all set.
20170411_164619[1].jpg 20170411_201231[1].jpg
I've updated to Sync 2.2 manually, and was able to use Carplay with my wife's phone with no issues!
Added bonus is the USB port is now illuminated which is nice to have.

Edit: just realized there's no aux on my new hub. I never used it, so I didn't care, but something else to keep in mind. I don't believe SYNC 3 has an option for aux in either, but I'd have to go back and look.

I no longer have my Focus, sold it for a Colorado but I'll try to keep this updated with relevant info other users find with installs when I can .

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy **** guy! This is awesome! Where did you buy your screen and apmi?
Spent the last half year or so watching car-part.com. search for radio for 16+ and pretty much looking at each of the listings with pictures so I don't end up with the wrong thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Subbed in case someone else comments that they've tried it on a 2014.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Super interested in try this out on my 15. So the APIM is just the block attached to the back of the screen with all the connections in it? Also you said that you had issues with the backup camera and SD card reader, was flashing the car the solution to the problems?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, APIM is attached, my 3rd picture is a side shot of it, here's a picture of the back of them(pulled off Google) top one is sync 3,
you can tell because of the wire on the right attached from the APIM to the screen. APIM Comparison.jpg

For backup camera, flashing fixed. For USB it is working fine, but you get an error. It's probably due to that sd card slot, 16+ does not have. The SD slot no longer works either. I ordered the new hub for carplay to see if that gets rid of my error. If it works I'll update the post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you give me the part numbers for the APIM and screen?
Sorry, that was one of the things i didn't plan ahead to document. I will say from my time searching there are a lot of different p/n for the screen and apim for sync 3, likely for different models so it shouldn't be limited to just one set. I don't want to take my dash apart again, but i might do it to get the pn info in the next few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Wafflenator, I am also upgrading my 2015 Focus ST from Sync2 to Sync3 but I 'm facing the problem that you already solved.

The APIM was installed but i am still figuring out how to connect the new carplay USB hub to the old one since they have different plugs.

I am waiting for the elm327 adapter for further programming but before that all functions seem working fine(AC/Navigation/BT audio) except backup camera.

Also, it has some problems that it shows some features on the Sync3 screen but my ST not actually has(like heated seat). Any way i can delete/cancel it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Wafflenator, I am also upgrading my 2015 Focus ST from Sync2 to Sync3 but I 'm facing the problem that you already solved.

The APIM was installed but i am still figuring out how to connect the new carplay USB hub to the old one since they have different plugs.

I am waiting for the elm327 adapter for further programming but before that all functions seem working fine(AC/Navigation/BT audio) except backup camera.

Also, it has some problems that it shows some features on the Sync3 screen but my ST not actually has(like heated seat). Any way i can delete/cancel it?
Haven't got my hub yet to comment on that, we may need a new cable from the APIM to the hub. The smaller plug on the APIM is USB, not sure if you noticed that or not, but it likely wouldn't be too difficult.

I think the reprogramming you would do once you get your elm327 would remove the extra buttons, but the focus and escape don't do onscreen climate control, so I didn't run into this issue. Definitely keep us updated if it does, it would be nice to outline as much of this as possible

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Have you tried just connecting the two that match? Just pulled mine out and watched a YouTube video to compare. The two that are the same should be for USB. I'm wondering if the one that doesn't match is for the light. If it is, that's not a big deal if it's not working(at least to me)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The carplay USB I got has two usb ports with 2 female connector at the back, one should be the power and other should be usb.
aa.jpg
Left is new with carplay and right is the old one.
Assumed that you have same apim harness wiring as mine, we may need to reconnect the power cable for fit in the new nub. I ordered the new plug for new hub and hopefully can do it within this week.

So for the backup camera, any idea to setup in Forscan?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The carplay USB I got has two usb ports with 2 female connector at the back, one should be the power and other should be usb.
View attachment 224593
Assumed that you have same apim harness wiring as mine, we may need to reconnect the power cable for fit in the new nub. I ordered the new plug for new hub and hopefully can do it within this week.

Just got my hub, I'm looking at trying to find a part number for that cable. I'll let you know what i find.
As for the camera, if you follow my steps of finding a comparable car for options, get the as-built file and modify the VIN in the file it should enable the camera. I'd make sure you get your original file for safety, and like I put in the initial post there is a risk with writing this. But that should enable the camera for your car, that's what worked for me at least.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 224593

Found our answer, thankfully someone else already made it through this part. Buy this part:WPT1239 (CU2Z-14S411-AA) and splice. Ford Sync 3 Hardware Upgrade / Conversion (Replace Existing MyFord Touch) gave me the answer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know you might not be an expert but if I buy this

2016 2017 Ford Explorer Front 8" Information Display Screen DB5T-18B955-FC OEM | eBay

all I have left to buy is the APIM Module correct?
If it came from a 2017 yes. Might want to check with the seller, the build date on the sticker could be either.

I usually check here and put in the year and model and say i don't know what type of sync I have, it shows what was available. https://owner.ford.com/how-tos.html
According to that 2016 still had sync 2. There's a few Ford models that did for some reason.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I've got the new USB hub wired in, updated to 2.2, and I've got working Apple Carplay. I'll write up how to do it tomorrow along with a few pictures. It was pretty easy to do.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
This is very exciting, I have a 2015 and although I thought it was a crazy thought, maybe one day I will upgrade to sync 3.

Few things bugging me:

SD card not working seems like a bummer. Always held navigations data anyway but Id sincerely miss this. I imagine the new GPS system holds the data somewhere else?

Also installing a new GPS system is discouraging, I do not feel liuke stuffing the device in the back of the unit will result in a strong signal. Wiring the new one properly is probably not easy.

Installing foreign/unkown software is always scary, literally wrecked an iPod touch when I was a kid by installing the wrong software. Device just stopped working forever.

I am hoping eventually these concerns will be addressed and simplified. I would truly spend several hundred bucks and go through some hassle to do an upgrade but the sacrifices would have to be absolutely 0.

Thanks for such an awesome contribution to this website.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is very exciting, I have a 2015 and although I thought it was a crazy thought, maybe one day I will upgrade to sync 3.

Few things bugging me:

SD card not working seems like a bummer. Always held navigations data anyway but Id sincerely miss this. I imagine the new GPS system holds the data somewhere else?

Also installing a new GPS system is discouraging, I do not feel liuke stuffing the device in the back of the unit will result in a strong signal. Wiring the new one properly is probably not easy.

Installing foreign/unkown software is always scary, literally wrecked an iPod touch when I was a kid by installing the wrong software. Device just stopped working forever.

I am hoping eventually these concerns will be addressed and simplified. I would truly spend several hundred bucks and go through some hassle to do an upgrade but the sacrifices would have to be absolutely 0.

Thanks for such an awesome contribution to this website.
Sync 3 maps are stored internally. Were you using the SD card for any other use? I suppose you could put music on it, but for me I always just kept the navigation card in there.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts