Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I found this application from CyanLabs called "Syn3 Updater".
It is a windows app that lets you punch in your Sync 3 version, and it'll download the newest software and maps, and automatically format and put everything on a USB stick.
Has anyone here used it? Seems like last time I did this I had to have a license file that matched my ESN and everything for map updates.
anyway, nothing came up in the search about this thing, hoping someone else has seen it before and can tell me if it's safe or not.

ref: Windows Automated Method – Update Ford Sync 3 to Sync 3.4 with F9 / 1.19 maps, all regions!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its safe. CyanLabs devs have been around for a long time, and its a legit update tool many use to get Sync 3.4.
I always feel a bit sketchy about apps like this, especially when the web page mentions that Ukranians were involved... huge red flag there.
It's been confusing, I keep checking my VIN and it it always lets me download an update, but when I run it, it's always 3.0.
Now, I'm running this utility and its on a later revision of 3.4... I was just reluctant to trust it. I don't know why the Ford site doesn't distribute the newest version like it should.
anyway, here I go all in... we'll see how it goes I suppose. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
It works fine. I did my sync 3.4 update with them. No issues whatsoever in 2ish months
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Electronics

Reactions: xafnyx

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, its safe. CyanLabs devs have been around for a long time, and its a legit update tool many use to get Sync 3.4.
Well I just ran it and it worked, but it reset everything back to factory defaults... all my nav addresses and everything... gone.
hehe
That being said, 3.4 looks a heck of a lot diff than 3.0. Now mine looks more like my wifes 2020 Lincoln, pretty sweet

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Well I just ran it and it worked, but it reset everything back to factory defaults... all my nav addresses and everything... gone.
hehe
That being said, 3.4 looks a heck of a lot diff than 3.0. Now mine looks more like my wifes 2020 Lincoln, pretty sweet
Right, it had to reformat your APIM. Most units from 2016 up work fine with the update.

Ford has no intention of releasing 3.4 to models below 2020. Even my 2019 Escape doesn't have the release yet, and they had advertised 3.4 for it at the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,108 Posts
The whole UI has been updated, With smoother menu transitions and the touch response is better.
I am sure they updated the bluetooth codecs and many other features e.g wallpapers. new home UI and radio controls.

Plus I use AA so I needed the latest update to eliminate disconnection issues.

It is worth the upgrade. I donated to Cyanlabs for their awesome little tool.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ran the update this morning, piece of cake. I really like the new UI, and having the climate controls accessible through the head unit is neat.

Haven't been on a drive yet so can't speak to the performance improvements, but so far so good. Album artwork isn't pulling through on Sirius but my garage is a bit of a dead zone for satellite radio so that might change.

·
Registered
2017 ST3
57 Posts
I also updated yesterday, the process was simple with the windows app, the most difficult thing was figuring out the map region (NA for North America), was looking for US or USA (lol), after that the process is very straight forward.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,108 Posts
Buy the updated USB hub will solve that.
I think since my DashCam is hooked ot the port inside the arm rest thats why I get an error. Its not an MP3 or USB player so it says not supported.
Thats what I think but I need to test this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.