Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, has anyone ever controlled the symposer by themselves? I'm thinking of wiring into the servo, connecting that to an arduino, and then using the blank button under the traction control to open and close the servo at will. Unlike most, I rather like the symposer as long as it's completely open, although it does get too loud now and then. I've been reading through, and there's not much information about controlling the servos. The four wires are stumping me. I'm planning on cracking it open and giving it a go this weekend, but just wanted to see if anyone's done this before I go in with a hammer. :haha:

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you're looking at having it completely open or just on all the time, here's what I did.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
There should be a way to reprogram it without rewiring. I just unplugged mine with the servo in the open position, but I got tired of the idle. I'd like it to come alive above 2000 rpm and then stay wide open in gears 1 to 5. 6 should be for silent cruising. But that's my crazy idea

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be a way to reprogram it without rewiring. I just unplugged mine with the servo in the open position, but I got tired of the idle. I'd like it to come alive above 2000 rpm and then stay wide open in gears 1 to 5. 6 should be for silent cruising. But that's my crazy idea
Yeah, I love that growling noise, but sometimes it's just too much, especially with other people in the car. Reprogramming is way above my head, so I'm just gonna trial a couple of buttons this weekend. Wish me luck! If anyone's an electrical engineer and knows anything about that servo, please let me know before I fry it by accident. If I kill the servo, I'm seriously thinking about installing a pipe valve in its place and just opening/closing the valve manually.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone ever controlled the symposer by themselves? I'm thinking of wiring into the servo, connecting that to an arduino, and then using the blank button under the traction control to open and close the servo at will. Unlike most, I rather like the symposer as long as it's completely open, although it does get too loud now and then. I've been reading through, and there's not much information about controlling the servos. The four wires are stumping me. I'm planning on cracking it open and giving it a go this weekend, but just wanted to see if anyone's done this before I go in with a hammer. :haha:
If it has 4 wires then most likely not a servo motor, might be stepper motor or other series wound dc motor.
@Loki C346 do you know what motor is used in the sound symposer valve?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Here is how I control my Symposer:

·
Registered
802 Posts
If it has 4 wires then most likely not a servo motor, might be stepper motor or other series wound dc motor.
@Loki C346 do you know what motor is used in the sound symposer valve?
Not sure on the motor. I can pull mine apart when I get home and see. I know it is a 4-pin input to the symposer valve module. With some experimenting I am sure someone could rig an arduino control.

On a side note, if you unscrew the valve control unit (about midway between intake and firewall along the symposer tube) and unhook the hosing I believe you can pull out the shaft and knock out the valve itself. That way the symposer is always open.

What I suggest is sound symposer delete, and resonator delete. Then you have a Noise Toggle Switch in the right side of the drivers footwell.

Reactions: Sbnmatthew

·
Registered
86 Posts
I pulled mine apart and removed the butterfly. I read somw here that the pcm will detect it being unplugged even though it won't set a cel. That said, I'd assume one of the wires is a position feedback sensor. I'm probably going to drill the butterfly to dull it down a bit at idle.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you're looking at having it completely open or just on all the time, here's what I did.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Do you realize that there is a diaphragm in the part you removed that prevents engine gases from entering the cabin? That's the downside
: Carbon monoxide poisoning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you realize that there is a diaphragm in the part you removed that prevents engine gases from entering the cabin? That's the downside
: Carbon monoxide poisoning.
It's just a valve. No gases are being pushed through the sound symposer. If that was the case, everyone with a stock sound symposer would get gases into the cabin every time it opened. All that was bypassed is a valve that opens and closes.

What diaphragm are you referring to? Where did you get this info on gases being pushed through the sound symposer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts