Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this sounds like a really stupid question but hear my out for my logic.

The stock sound symposer is basically a controlled boost leak... it is a hose coming off the intake, where boost is leaking from the intake, to a butterfly valve, then let into the cabin at certain rpm. The engine is tuned with this in mind.... If we delete the sound symposer and cover the hole with a delete kit, this should in turn raise the internal boost of the engine, causing a lean condition.

I am going in this week to have a custom exhaust made for my car, since none of the cat backs on the market sound exactly like I want, I am in the process of talking with a really good local shop that does custom work for high end cars (they have done R8's, M5's, Focus RS and ST's, custom drag racing solutions for visible turbines, and more) I want to hear this exhaust when I am done, so I am planning on immediately yanking the symposer out as soon as its done and putting a steeda delete kit in it's place.

My only worry is, with my logic I just stated, will this harm the engine/tune at all? I am 100% stock besides the exhaust I am adding, and I am not touching the down pipe.

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Okay, I know this sounds like a really stupid question but hear my out for my logic.

The stock sound symposer is basically a controlled boost leak... it is a hose coming off the intake, where boost is leaking from the intake, to a butterfly valve, then let into the cabin at certain rpm. The engine is tuned with this in mind.... If we delete the sound symposer and cover the hole with a delete kit, this should in turn raise the internal boost of the engine, causing a lean condition.

I
Actually it uses a diaphragm to transmit sound only. It's not allowing any boost to escape when working properly. So there's never a need to tune anything due to either it's presence, or removal.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it uses a diaphragm to transmit sound only. It's not allowing any boost to escape when working properly. So there's never a need to tune anything due to either it's presence, or removal.
From the master himself! Thanks for the reply. I didnt know there was a diaphragm in there, I only knew a little about it from videos of delete installs I have seen. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts