Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a symposer delete for my '13 Focus ST over a year ago. Over the course of the past year I have been dealing with boost leaks, always chasing the next leaking...boost life right. The past few months it's seems as though I have managed to resolve all of my problems with the exception of one constant, the symposer block off plate. I had removed the intake manifold to clean the carbon from the valves and, in the process, cleaned the intake manifold and somehow managed to source a new o-ring for the plate. This worked for a couple months; however, the leak has returned. No matter what I seem to do this plate seems to be the charge system's " achilles heel". I've inspected the mating surface on the intake manifold for abnormalities that could be outlined as the cause for seal failure with no problems found. The plate itself appears free of visual defects as well. I was curious to know if any of you have seen this problem before or if you are able to shed some light on my situation with any advice you could send my way. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've checked the intake manifold with a straight edge and flashlight to ensure it's perfectly flat, no issues or defects. The block-off plate appears to be flat but I haven't exactly checked that end, just visually inspect the surface for any milling defects.

OTS stage 3 boosting to 21/22 psi...block-off being my only leak. Getting oil residue on the backside of the plate, so using a homemade boost leak tester I remove the intake...block off the pcv port and pressurize the system up to 23 PSI. Slight leak is always found at the block off plate. Ugh, I can't seem to win.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I would check to see if the leak is still present when you put back in the oem symposer setup. That can also let you know if its an issue with the surface on the manifold side or an issue with the symposer delete.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that, can't seem to find my symposer. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem like mine so I'm thinking a bad o-ring on the block off plate or the intake itself. Tried finding another o-ring but ive no luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought about that, can't seem to find my symposer. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem like mine so I'm thinking a bad o-ring on the block off plate or the intake itself. Tried finding another o-ring but ive no luck.
Why not just buy another plate?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
just buy a new blockoff plate for JBR, they are cheap enough to get rid of your headache.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why throw money at something that might not be the issue?

Sent from another galaxy.
Because $25 is worth the potential peace of mind and not wasting a lot of time?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unless that doesn't fix the issue. Then your out $25. Soapy water is quick and easy. You do need to put the car on ramps/jack stands and remove the lower cover.
Would this work for boost leaks if you can't build full boost pressure under load? If it's a major leak, then yes. But if it's only leaking at say, over +8psi, then I don't think he would be able to find the leak by looking for the bubbles.

·
Administrator
12,964 Posts
If the OP is sure its the ssd, id make sure if it has a port that its either loctited of tefloned. Id also rtv the sealing surfaces just to be sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I managed to get in touch with Boomba and they sent me another o-ring. Sadly enough I didn't have a chance to pressurize the system after install because some pesky driver decided to rear-end me at a stop light a few days ago. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while before I can update with results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts