Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good Lord.

I just spent the last 3+ hours hammering a socket onto at least half of the lug nuts (and hammering them back out) on my 2017 ST when trying to do a simple winter tire swap today. The car does not see daily use, is garaged when not in use, and sees minimal rain and snow. I've never seen this issue from any manufacturer, but I have read "swollen nuts" posts one or twice, and shrugged it off. If it can happen to my babied, limited-use car, it can happen to anyone's. Now I have to order a set of lug nuts so I can drive the car, because half of them are ruined.

Anyone have a suggestion on a brand that will not expand or rust?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just went through this, too. It seems to be a major Ford thing (Chrysler, too). As if I didn't hate chrome enough to begin with, these 2-piece lug nuts are junk. I had a hell of a time finding anything that wasn't some stupid spline drive or "tuner" nonsense or another 2-piece or overpriced and that didn't have reviews saying that they rusted in a few months. I threw up my hands and ended up with these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNEBMCE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I guess I'll find out if they're any good eventually.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ordered what I believe to be the same thing, but in chrome. Not that I like chrome per se, but I wanted something that will not discolor after contact with tools. The reviews are mixed, but I am surprised that people are finding these to rust fairly easily

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had Gorillas on my Subaru and they lasted for years without a problem, but after losing the key and having to fight the wheel locks off, I swore I'd never get them again. I don't know if wheel theft is a thing anymore, but I definitely don't worry about it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I really never gave wheel bolts or lug nuts a second thought. I haven't owned that many cars in my life, but I've never had this problem on anything that I've worked on (my cars or anyone else's) and if this isn't a valid class action lawsuit, I'd be surprised.

I don't want to make too much of the topic, but I wanted to buy a replacement set of lug nuts that is guaranteed for life not to rust. I see that Gorilla sells a regular lug nut and also a "Lifetime" lug nut. That does not give me a lot of confidence in their regular product, which carries a 1-year warranty. The "Lifetime" product is guaranteed forever, but is much higher-priced (about 3X the price). I spoke with McGard and they offer a lifetime warranty on most of their products, including their wheel bolts and lug nuts. At about half the cost that is the direction I went (McGard PN 64012 (set of 4) or the kit (with locks and valve stems, which I'll not be using) PN 84537).

·
Registered
416 Posts
This has been an issue for years. I had it happen on my '01 Lincoln LS and again on my '13 FoST. The design of the nuts does not look to have changed at all in that time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Surprisingly- this went to trial earlier this year, and the case was thrown out.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/class-action-lug-nut-lawsuit-falls-apart-gets-tossed/

In addition to other reasons, apparently Ford is calling lug nuts "consumable items" (like wiper blades, brake pads and tires) and need to be replaced after having been used. Mine started to fail after 18 months and 3 seasonal wheel swaps. I work from home, and my car lives in the garage when I'm not on the road for work, and I try not to drive in the rain or snow if I don't have to. I bet there are new cars on dealer lots with this same problem. Completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I really never gave wheel bolts or lug nuts a second thought. I haven't owned that many cars in my life, but I've never had this problem on anything that I've worked on (my cars or anyone else's) and if this isn't a valid class action lawsuit, I'd be surprised.

I don't want to make too much of the topic, but I wanted to buy a replacement set of lug nuts that is guaranteed for life not to rust. I see that Gorilla sells a regular lug nut and also a "Lifetime" lug nut. That does not give me a lot of confidence in their regular product, which carries a 1-year warranty. The "Lifetime" product is guaranteed forever, but is much higher-priced (about 3X the price). I spoke with McGard and they offer a lifetime warranty on most of their products, including their wheel bolts and lug nuts. At about half the cost that is the direction I went (McGard PN 64012 (set of 4) or the kit (with locks and valve stems, which I'll not be using) PN 84537).
Yeah, the potential for rust is why I went with the black ones. I had fine luck with the black holding up well on a previous set and even if the finish does get a bit marred, they sit pretty deep in the ST wheels so it wont be super visible. I'll take some roughed up black over rust spotted chrome any day.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've had a bunch of cars in New England winters and I drive a lot of miles and do not maintain stuff unless it's broken and never had this issue with any other cars. Actually, I still use my SE's for my winter wheels and they're fine, but they don't have the flange the STs have.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, the potential for rust is why I went with the black ones. I had fine luck with the black holding up well on a previous set and even if the finish does get a bit marred, they sit pretty deep in the ST wheels so it wont be super visible. I'll take some roughed up black over rust spotted chrome any day.
McGard Customer Service told me that their lug nuts and bolts are guaranteed forever (for the original owner) not to rust, and if they do, to contact them (they'll ask for a picture) and they'll replace with new ones. I was told that the security bolt tends to be the one that will show rust for some reason (maybe they are manufactured using a different process), but I will not be using them at all, and instead purchased 4 extra lug nuts. All told, a shade less than $50. Still- $50 I shouldn't need to spend. Shame on you Ford.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts