Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up- I went to swap on my winter tires and wheels on my 2014 FoST this morning and all the lug nuts on my summer tires were swollen preventing me from removing them. The lug nut wrench in the trunk did not fit as well as a 19mm and 3/4 inch sockets. Apparently this is an issue with Ford lug nuts corroding internally and swelling. I am glad I was not stuck on the side of the road with a flat! There are some YouTube videos out there on how to remove them. I got one off but taking off all of them is a major PIA. I am going to let the pros at a tire shop get them off. Everyone is recommending changing them out for aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Those factory lug nuts suck. I had one of the caps deform ever so slightly, and I could barely get the 19mm socket back on to get it off. Granted it was my fault for not realizing the socket wasn't full seated and tweaking it. But at the same time, such a critical part shouldn't have a "beauty cap" that deforms so easily. The ones I got with my winter wheels from tire rack fit the oem wheels perfect too, and feel like solid steel - cheaper and light years better than the oem Ford ones.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
This is a thing?? I've driven and worked on Ford's my whole life and this has never happened to me, I guess I've gotten lucky. Swollen lug nuts is something I'd expect from crappy aftermarket junk.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
I had swollen lug nuts once after my vasectomy. :lol:
Hernia surgery brings the same results also. Lug nuts the size of baseballs. I quickly replaced the OEM lugnuts with some Gorilla lugs on the FoST and on the FoRS I went with Muteki SR45 Ti lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I replaced all mine since the dealer impacted them on last time and the caps deformed. I had to beat my 3/4 impact socket on to get them off. I find it strange they use these cheap lug nuts on this car, my parents MKC and Escape both have standard no-cheap-cap lug nuts. I sent my old ones in this morning with him so he could show the service department why I do not allow them to rotate the tires when my car is in for its oil change as part of the service plan they gave me when I leased it. Dumbasses striped out all five lugs on my last care because they did not thread the nuts on during an inspection and just impacted them on.

·
Super Moderator
6,577 Posts
This is a thing?? I've driven and worked on Ford's my whole life and this has never happened to me, I guess I've gotten lucky. Swollen lug nuts is something I'd expect from crappy aftermarket junk.
The factory lug nuts have a pretty cover over the actual nut; if the nut rusts the cover will bulge out. I couldn't believe it myself.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The factory lug nuts have a pretty cover over the actual nut; if the nut rusts the cover will bulge out. I couldn't believe it myself.
That makes total sense, thanks for the explanation - I've never seen it which now means the next time I go to swap wheels or do brakes on one of our Ford's I'll have swollen lug nuts!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have not really seen a swollen one just ones messed up by impacting them to tight or with a sloppy worn socket. Then my impact socket was to damn tight to fit because they bent the caps slightly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've never had a problem with them, but I only use a 6pt 19mm deep well socket, and a breaker bar. I also make sure that it is fully seated. The guys at the dealer and tire shops have watched Days of Thunder a few too many times, and think it's ok to ram a spinning air gun on the nut. They also use beat up torque sticks, that just make it even worse. Exactly why I don't let them remove my wheels from the car, for tire changes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The outer cover of the factory lugs is 19mm. The inner portion of the lug with the cover removed is 18mm. You can fight with 20 lugs and pull the cover off of them if you have a work bench, or just spend $40 on a new set. The factory wheels are a 60* conical angle with a 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch. I have these installed on the snowflakes torqued to 100 lb/ft and they work perfectly.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-small-diameter-fiesta-st-2014-2018-focus-st-2013-2018-focus-rs-2016-2018/p/21133-V/

I was in the same boat for awhile with the factory lugs. Heat is what causes them to expand... not rust. I live in AZ and there is no rust around here, and my lugs were swollen so bad I could barely get them off the car. Took hours. I had to pound a socket onto each one, remove the lugs, and then work the lug out of the socket over and over to get them off the car. Many will say that after market lugs won't fit the stock wheels because they are too small and don't seat correctly. They also don't have the flare around the edges of the lug that sit flush against the surface of the wheel. This is just not true. As long as they are a 60* conical lug, they will fit the wheel. Just make sure they are torqued correctly and you will be good to go.

Edit: Just remembered that the fusion lugs also fit on the car, but are significantly more expensive. I think a new set of Fusion lugs from Ford is in the $150-$200 range. They just don't have the flares on the ends.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same thing happen as well. I had to chisel the cap off of one with a screw driver to get to the nut and then use a larger socket on all the rest. When I chiseled the one off it was filled with rust water. I bought some McGard single piece lug nuts. The body of the lug nut is a bit smaller but has the correct seat and way cheaper than the two piece garbage ones from Ford which they try and sell for $6 a piece.

Chrome Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) ? Set of 4 Lug Nuts ? McGard

1 - 20 of 31 Posts