Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had the remap for the Mountune 275. In doing so I've noticed that the gear shift indicator has switched off, which I presume means the entire Ecomode has been turned off? How do I switch it back on again, 'cause I need it for town driving?

Registered
I don't have an answer for your question, but it's pretty easy to emulate the shift light. Just upshift between 1800-2200 rpm depending on gear, but make sure you're not trying to accelerate much at low rpm.

Registered
Shift light is turned off by the MP tunes (at least that is what I have read on other ST forums in posts made by Mountune representatives). I also don't really know what you are talking about with ecomode (unless it is those goofy leaf things that are in the display menu). Yes the Focus ST has those goofy little leaf things and a shift indicator light, but other than that there is nothing eco related that could be removed.

Super Moderator
^^^What TS13FST said^^^Now, had you opted for a tune from someone other than Ford, you could have multiple maps, one of which could have been an economy map. There is no "Ecco Mode" from the factory.

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Shift light is turned off by the MP tunes (at least that is what I have read on other ST forums in posts made by Mountune representatives). I also don't really know what you are talking about with ecomode (unless it is those goofy leaf things that are in the display menu). Yes the Focus ST has those goofy little leaf things and a shift indicator light, but other than that there is nothing eco related that could be removed.
^^^What TS13FST said^^^Now, had you opted for a tune from someone other than Ford, you could have multiple maps, one of which could have been an economy map. There is no "Ecco Mode" from the factory.
My leaf things are non-existent for "shifting" and full for "anticipation" and "speed." So I drive like an idiot but do 60 miles a day highway at consistent 60-80 depending on traffic flow haha. 27.1 computer MPG and 28.0 actual calculated at the pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, my confusion. Yes, I still have everything on the dash except for the shift indicator. From the little I could find out on the Net it meant the so-called "ecomode" had been turned off and could be switched on again. But then again, that was from a Fiesta forum...So then, why did the new map turn the indicator off? Bit of a pain not having it, especially seeing that my engine's still very quiet.

BTW: Would you believe I've had this big four wheeled computer since May and I'm still studying the handbook! It was never like this with my old Racing Puma.

Registered
I recently had the remap for the Mountune 275. In doing so I've noticed that the gear shift indicator has switched off, which I presume means the entire Ecco mode has been turned off? How do I switch it back on again, 'cause I need it for town driving?
Since when does the MP275 calibration turn off the shift light? My 2013 doesn't turn the light off running it, if anything it was completely unaffected by the calibration.

Registered
The only "EcoMode" on the ST is the leaf thing you get when you push right on the menu from the MPG screen. This should still be on your car. It has no necessary correlation to the shift light. Ecomode basically has 3 segments (well, 4): shifting, anticipation, and speed. The shift light tries to tell you the ideal shift point for fuel economy and how well you do there is reflected on your shifting leaves. But like I said before, you can just shift at about 1800-2200 rpm every time you upshift and get the same effect. Anticipation basically measures how often you brake or accelerate, and how hard you accelerate. So to maximize this measurement you need to brake as rarely as possible and accelerate as slowly as possible (easier said than done). For speed, you just have to stay under 70mph - period. Every few seconds that you are under 70mph your score goes up, and every few seconds that you are over 70mph it goes down.

Hope this helps - note this is on my '13, I don't know how much it has changed since. One more side note as winter has hit - there is a hidden ecomode component called "cold start" (hidden on my '13 anyway). I have not found a ton of info on it but it seems to be related to running the car while it's cold. It seems like if you let the car idle for a few seconds (10-15 in my mild weather climate) before driving, the car will be happier.

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
The only "EcoMode" on the ST is the leaf thing you get when you push right on the menu from the MPG screen. This should still be on your car. It has no necessary correlation to the shift light. Ecomode basically has 3 segments (well, 4): shifting, anticipation, and speed. The shift light tries to tell you the ideal shift point for fuel economy and how well you do there is reflected on your shifting leaves. But like I said before, you can just shift at about 1800-2200 rpm every time you upshift and get the same effect. Anticipation basically measures how often you brake or accelerate, and how hard you accelerate. So to maximize this measurement you need to brake as rarely as possible and accelerate as slowly as possible (easier said than done). For speed, you just have to stay under 70mph - period. Every few seconds that you are under 70mph your score goes up, and every few seconds that you are over 70mph it goes down.

Hope this helps - note this is on my '13, I don't know how much it has changed since. One more side note as winter has hit - there is a hidden ecomode component called "cold start" (hidden on my '13 anyway). I have not found a ton of info on it but it seems to be related to running the car while it's cold. It seems like if you let the car idle for a few seconds (10-15 in my mild weather climate) before driving, the car will be happier.
This isn't really a "mode" at all, it is literally just monitoring your habits and reporting how "eco-friendly" you are behaving. The only way to get an eco "mode" as someone said before is to get a tune that has a designated "economy slot" which just limits boost to a lower number and really doesn't do anything because if you roll around at 7-15lbs (or whatever it's limited at) you'll get garbage gas mileage.

We have a sporty car that does better than most equivalent cars so I don't complain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's why I was confused. They call it "Ecomode", so naturally I thought there was an electronic mode you could set to make the car more economical, especially during short journeys in towns and cities. At the moment I'm getting 20mpg commuting, but I guess it's because it's freezing out. Pity the car doesn't have a mode for economy during commuting short distances though, particularly in winter.

Registered
I have a new st3 2017 here in Australia with 275 kit. Yes the shift light is removed from the tune as they have this on the Cobb controller that comes with it. But would really like to know if anything else has changed ford Australia have no idea and haven't got answers out of Mountune :(

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Registered
My FRPP tune eliminated the shift indicator (which i'm glad it did 'cause i hated it) but i can still see the little green leaf thingy. My end goal will be to have all the leaves gone ;)

Registered
This seems like a good place to ask since you guys are talking about eco mode or rather it's non existence. When you press the traction control button once, not holding, you enter "sport mode". Does that just mean it won't record your habits for "eco mode"?

Registered
This seems like a good place to ask since you guys are talking about eco mode or rather it's non existence. When you press the traction control button once, not holding, you enter "sport mode". Does that just mean it won't record your habits for "eco mode"?
It still monitors your driving habits and gives you a score for "eco-mode". Sport mode just turns off the factory traction control. ESC Off turns off traction control and stability control, neither stop the car from calculating fuel economy.

Banned
Eco mode doesn't exist. There is no such thing. You just have a screen that tells you your "score" of your driving habits. You can make a game out of it by trying to get more leaves which usually results in the best mpg you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts