Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my FoST back from the body shop today after a minor accident. Insurance paid for a rental, but Enterprise was out of regular cars (how?) so they gave me a V6 Dodge Challenger. The desk lady was like "Oh aren't you special, we charge $120 a day for this car."

Yeah right. Oh my god, what a piece. This thing was a monstrosity in the worst way. Huge, heavy, massive blind spots, drove like a damn pontoon boat. The engine was shameful. Despite having a 3.6 liter and 8 spd transmission (lol Dodge), putting out 300 bhp and 270 lb ft of torque, I honestly think a Honda Accord is faster. I wound it out once on the highway and never did it again. I can only describe the experience as being locked in a cheap rubber factory with a bunch of monkeys and their meat grinders.

Driving my ST back from the shop, it really hit home what a serious driver's car this is. Tight and direct, with immediate power delivery and proper feedback for the driver. If you ever start to think of our interiors as cheap, go drive a Challenger for a week. You'll come back feeling like your ST is an Audi. I'm not exaggerating.

Anyways just wanted to put things back into perspective for you guys. Remember, both these cars have same starting price. The ST is the real deal and one of the smartest buys in the automotive world. It's not perfect, but it's a car you can drive with pride.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just got my FoST back from the body shop today after a minor accident. Insurance paid for a rental, but Enterprise was out of regular cars (how?) so they gave me a V6 Dodge Challenger. The desk lady was like "Oh aren't you special, we charge $120 a day for this car."

Yeah right. Oh my god, what a piece. This thing was a monstrosity in the worst way. Huge, heavy, massive blind spots, drove like a damn pontoon boat. The engine was shameful. Despite having a 3.6 liter and 8 spd transmission (lol Dodge), putting out 300 bhp and 270 lb ft of torque, I honestly think a Honda Accord is faster. I wound it out once on the highway and never did it again. I can only describe the experience as being locked in a cheap rubber factory with a bunch of monkeys and their meat grinders.

Driving my ST back from the shop, it really hit home what a serious driver's car this is. Tight and direct, with immediate power delivery and proper feedback for the driver. If you ever start to think of our interiors as cheap, go drive a Challenger for a week. You'll come back feeling like your ST is an Audi. I'm not exaggerating.

Anyways just wanted to put things back into perspective for you guys. Remember, both these cars have same starting price. The ST is the real deal and one of the smartest buys in the automotive world. It's not perfect, but it's a car you can drive with pride.
When I bought my Caliber SRT4 it came with free registration for the SRT Experience (their version of Octane Academy except they actually brought it to different tracks).

I drove all of the SRTs except the Viper. By far the Challenger was my least favorite. Unbalanced, disconnected, and as you said, looking out the windshield is like looking out into an ocean of car hood. Felt like driving a town car. I know people like them, I see a ton on the road. Just not my thing at all.

I agree, the ST is gem!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Felt like driving a town car. I know people like them, I see a ton on the road. Just not my thing at all.

Please do not lump my Panther into the same category as the challenger, while much slower the Panther was far more agile and responsive. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I drove one while on business in Cincinnati, good looking, but a tank with a loooonnnggg hood and forgetful backseat. I mean forget about anyone getting in and sitting back there unless under 11 years old or 50 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Challenger and Camaro vehicles were NOT made for the usual age bracket for these types of cars (20-35 years), they were introduced as hommages to the original vehicles from the 60's and 70's. The demographic is more like 40-65 years old who couldn't afford a pony car when they were young. That's why the long hood and the overall styling, it's a throwback. It is what it is.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And I do think they did a good job with what they intended. They were replicating a heavy, large, twitchy-tailed muscle car. They nailed it!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not a fan of Dodge or Chrysler. But I must say the new redesigned Camaro is a great looking. The SS 1LE is a true track warrior too! I saw a ZL1 the other day on the road and it looked low, wide, fast and mean.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm not a fan of Dodge or Chrysler. But I must say the new redesigned Camaro is a great looking. The SS 1LE is a true track warrior too! I saw a ZL1 the other day on the road and it looked low, wide, fast and mean.
Yeah but who can afford it? This average Joe can't.

I work for a living. Manufacturers use to make a car for the working man and they don't no more. Unless you want something that isn't a V8. Aggrivating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agree with you. I remember when you could buy a new 1998 mustang GT for $20,000. A nice new four-wheel drive extended cab pickup was around $25-30,000. The price of many new vehicles today are out of my reach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting. I just turned in a loaded 2015 dodge charger R/T Plus lease then purchased a 17 focus st and my thoughts are complete opposite.

Ride quality, soft touch materials, acoustics, buttons, dials, ergonomics, steering wheel, features, were all better in the charger. I never pushed the charger in the twisties and if i had i doubt it would be enjoyable. Its not a drivers car like the focus st. Going down the road though, it was quiet as a temple at 60mph and felt like it floated on air. Truthfully if it had a proper gearbox id still be driving it, but I want to enjoy driving... I just dont enjoy automatics.

my 15 r/t plus
_DSC9751-XL.jpg

Stock interior photo
2015-Dodge-Charger-RT-interior.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
to each their own. I had a manual fusion and I liked the ride quality on long road trips. I don't want to drive my ST on a long road trip, but for going to work and picking up the kids it's great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a much nicer ride than the Challenger I had. Dodge probably improves the suspension along with the V8 in the R/T models. Like you said, put a better transmission in there, and you might just have a decent car. Also I'm sure the Charger is not as nose heavy and has better visibility.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my car for 30 days and then some a**hat hit my rear door and took off. I work at a body shop so we deal with Enterprise all the time and the guy thought he'd hook my up with a "cool car". He got me a 2017 camaro and I thought it'd be entertaining.... Worst thing ever, blind spots all around, ungodly wide and long with a weird trunk. Forget anybody with legs in the back seat, impossible to fit. Every time I see somebody driving one I wonder if they knew what they were getting into, those poor saps. Daily driving that thing was a nightmare and my commute is like 10min with traffic....

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I had my car for 30 days and then some a**hat hit my rear door and took off. I work at a body shop so we deal with Enterprise all the time and the guy thought he'd hook my up with a "cool car". He got me a 2017 camaro and I thought it'd be entertaining.... Worst thing ever, blind spots all around, ungodly wide and long with a weird trunk. Forget anybody with legs in the back seat, impossible to fit. Every time I see somebody driving one I wonder if they knew what they were getting into, those poor saps. Daily driving that thing was a nightmare and my commute is like 10min with traffic....
"Forget anybody with legs in the back seat..." I laughed out loud.

I'm curious about this rear door shenanigans...like..your door was open and someone hit it and busted it off? Or what? I kinda wanna see pictures if that happened

·
Registered
18 Posts

I'm curious about this rear door shenanigans...like..your door was open and someone hit it and busted it off? Or what? I kinda wanna see pictures if that happened[/QUOTE

Nothing too severe, I was parked on the street and when I left for work there was a spot dead center on the door that looked like a truck and backed into it and just left. I mean I have photos, if you really wanna see. I just need to get them off my phone and post. Thankfully I had my shop repair it and not caliber, those SOB's tried to do some BS half repair without paint blends. Never go where the insurance company wants you to go, they're not there to help you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

I'm curious about this rear door shenanigans...like..your door was open and someone hit it and busted it off? Or what? I kinda wanna see pictures if that happened[/QUOTE

Nothing too severe, I was parked on the street and when I left for work there was a spot dead center on the door that looked like a truck and backed into it and just left. I mean I have photos, if you really wanna see. I just need to get them off my phone and post. Thankfully I had my shop repair it and not caliber, those SOB's tried to do some BS half repair without paint blends. Never go where the insurance company wants you to go, they're not there to help you.
Ah see I was wondering how he hit your door. I thought you meant like the door was hanging open and someone took it off :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're comparing a mid level 4 door hot hatch to a base model full size coupe. Not exactly apples to apples. I feel that the interior of my SRT is about equal to my Focus. My only complaint is the grain/texture of the dash...a bit too coarse...and I'm no Dodge loyalist, believe me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts