Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with this set-up? Would love to see pics........and driving impressions. Just went all in......dropped $1,000 for parts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are a number of pics on google of ST's with swift springs. I've been looking at this same setup myself and will likely be ordering it after the 1st of the year. I see your post is a few weeks old. Have you gotten the parts and installed them yet? I'm curious more about opinions on ride quality and handling and how they compare to all the progressive springs in the market since these are pretty much the only linear springs you can get aftermarket for the ST.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have KW lowering springs, which are linear IIRC. Paired with B8's too.

The thing about the B8's which you'll love, is that the car is actually more comfortable than stock, yet more performant. Hit a dip or bump, and its not jarring, just a firm plant of the suspension, without the pogo or jarring rebound. Proper valving is key, regardless of spring type or rate. The car really should have come this way. This is what people forget, or don't budget for, proper dampers.

Lowering springs alone, lead to bottoming out, poor rebound control, floating at speed, etc.

That said, when Swift was making their springs, there is a huge thread on the topic, if you search for it. It has pics. They have always designed their springs to work with the factory dampers, not going too low, or too stiff. But if you pair them with a proper damper, things will work even better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have this set up and though I can’t compare it to some other springs I can say it’s definitely more firm than stock but removes the chop felt in the stock suspension. In other words the car settles quicker after going over a bump. I will say the b8 are rough as **** when it’s below 40 or so outside. They seem to smooth out after a bit but definitely affected by temp. Love the height on the car though. Removed a lot of wheel gap but not so low that I’ve run into issues scraping the bumper. I’ll try and get some picks if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have this set up and though I can’t compare it to some other springs I can say it’s definitely more firm than stock but removes the chop felt in the stock suspension. In other words the car settles quicker after going over a bump. I will say the b8 are rough as **** when it’s below 40 or so outside. They seem to smooth out after a bit but definitely affected by temp. Love the height on the car though. Removed a lot of wheel gap but not so low that I’ve run into issues scraping the bumper. I’ll try and get some picks if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. It's been in the 30's-40's here in seattle lately and I notice no difference in performance of the suspension. It happens for sure, but I don't notice it on my car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My stuff is going in today so I can report back. Ive never had Bilsteins before but have had a lot of units on lowering springs and stock dampers or Tokico Blues. I just know this.......this ST sits way too high and although highly compliant in the corners on a stock set-up, to the driver it doesn't feel that way. On other words, to me, the car will do what it asks you to do in stock suspension form but it feels awkward doing it. I expect to feel far more planted in corners when I pick the car up later..........

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So got my stuff installed yesterday. Impressions so far...........

As soon as I got up to speed, instantly recognized that for the first time, the unit felt together as one. Instead of the body feeling like it was following the chassis/suspension as in stock form, the suspension seemed in touch with the car. Can feel the road better.......just planted like some other guys in this thread spoke to.

Hard to describe the ride......feel the imperfections in the road more but with the Bilsteins, its not at all jarring like I had experienced in other cars I have dropped. By far the most comfortable dropped car Ive driven in my life.( in the past, always dropped on stock dampers or slightly better than stock Tokico Blues). At highway speed, the damping is amazing......the unit stays planted on small did and rises in the pavement......feeling in touch with the ground at every moment. Have not had a chance to throw the car hard into any corners or cloverleafs yet......damn traffic on Long Island is stoopid at 7pm on a weeknight before the holidays.

My biggest impression is that, while in stock form, the ST suspension does what you want it to do in corners, you never feel real confident doing it. You did what you had to do and the car would follow. Now........with this set-up, I no longer feel I'm sitting on top of the suspension. I fell like Im sitting in the middle of it.....the way it should feel. Wish I did this a long time ago.

Front drop was significant in terms of asthetics.........rear drop seems rather insignificant. Perhaps will settle? I really don't care. Its all about the driving experience s0ns!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts