Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read through a lot of threads, with tons of different information but I still have a few more questions. I won't be tracking the car and really just do spirited runs on some real twisty roads, I have noticed the rears unpredictability with the stock setup and understand the issue thanks to the other threads. I also have some massive speed adjustable endlinks coming tomorrow in the mail to pair with whichever bar I choose.

I have narrowed my options down to the ST rear bar or the Eibach rear bar. I like that they are adjustable, and I am leaning towards the ST one since I wouldn't need the full 90% from the Eibach. So my questions:

1: Which one has the best bushings? I have seen negative reviews on the ST ones. JBR makes great aftermarket ones, but I don't think they fit either bar?

2: Does one have any significant advantage? Either in warranty/support or DD ability?

Did I miss something in my research? Point it out please!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the Strano bar. It is awesome and probably the most popular for auto x. It is adjustable. The rear of my car is very predictable with it.
That was a very close 3rd, am I right in thinking you might have tried a few bars at this point? Looking at strano's site tho, doesn't say what the 3 adjustments are and to be honest that site leaves a lot to be desired unless you know exactly what you want. That has turned me off from it, but if you have any more good info I'm all ears...eyes?

·
Registered
217 Posts
So I have read through a lot of threads, with tons of different information but I still have a few more questions. I won't be tracking the car and really just do spirited runs on some real twisty roads, I have noticed the rears unpredictability with the stock setup and understand the issue thanks to the other threads. I also have some massive speed adjustable endlinks coming tomorrow in the mail to pair with whichever bar I choose.

I have narrowed my options down to the ST rear bar or the Eibach rear bar. I like that they are adjustable, and I am leaning towards the ST one since I wouldn't need the full 90% from the Eibach. So my questions:

1: Which one has the best bushings? I have seen negative reviews on the ST ones. JBR makes great aftermarket ones, but I don't think they fit either bar?

2: Does one have any significant advantage? Either in warranty/support or DD ability?

Did I miss something in my research? Point it out please!

Thanks.
Just bought the ST Suspension bar based on reviews. Only reason I didn't go with Strano bar was that it's real pricey to ship to Canada.

-Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so Strano or the ST suspension bar. I'm still interested in seeing some numbers about the Strano bar and if anyone has any input on the bushings.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the Strano bar is 22mm so same diameter as stock. It has three adjustment points. Not sure on the stiffness for those compared to stock. Basicly soft, medium, and hard. It doesn't bind like the factory bar which allows it to rotate better than stock.
Thanks! It looks like you are on medium setting there, do you find it stiffer than stock? I do want to stiffen up the feel a bit. Does the bar have new bushings or use the stock ones?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Strano bar and stock bar are 22mm, somewhere in these threads there is a post that puts numbers to the 3 settings. It sounds like Sam Strano's goal was to replicate the stock bar, but with 3 stiffness settings, and without the squared off bar profile at the bushings, which had many folks experiencing unpredictable rear end response. It's the softest bar on the market. All others are stiffer, if I am not mistaken.

-Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I had narrowed my decision between the ST and Strano rear swaybar. After researching setups and seeing what all the fast autocross guys are running, it was a no brainer. I ended up ordering a Strano rsb. Now I have a fast setup, just gotta make the driver fast. lol

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
Stiffer isn't better on this platform. I had the steeda rear bar and the rear was still unpredictable. So far even just with spirited driving I love the Strano bar. It is well worth the money. There is also a 3 week wait since they are made to order. I had mine before the three weeks were up.

Sent from another garage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Stiffer isn't better on this platform. I had the steeda rear bar and the rear was still unpredictable. So far even just with spirited driving I love the Strano bar. It is well worth the money. There is also a 3 week wait since they are made to order. I had mine before the three weeks were up.

Plus, our rear comes out so easily already, so a stiffer rear would be slightly more predictable, but even easier to come out. That's why I haven't looked at a lot of the sway bars or went that mod route yet, as UnfocusedST said. Strano certainly is the top of my list when I finally start with suspension work. Plus, have you seen Sam Strano race? He knows what needs to happen to win.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can´t say anything bad about the ST bar set. They even changed the bushings to better ones which are lube free. I really like the car´s handling and it´s still the only bolt on which I would do again without thinking twice and I should have done it much earlier (more fun time). There was a list with all bars and numbers for stiffness, and the ST bars were the softest. Anyway I think for a daily it´s quite perfect, I don´t know but maybe for auto x you might want a bit more.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not going to auto x I don't think. It will be for more predictability on the roads I drive daily in a spirited manner, as I am stiffening up the car I am starting to notice other issues and I think as I continue a more predictable sway bar will be helpful. I think I will go with the strano since it isn't much different than stock, but removes the random kick from binding. Now to the final question, do I need to upgrade my bushings or does the strano bar come with new ones?

Reactions: zerocoolxx

·
Registered
738 Posts
For guys going the way rear sway bars.......make damn sure you take the unit with the tires you are going to run with it on and test and test. Remember years back doing the whole Nismo suspension on my SPEC-V and running around the streets like a hero. Running sticky Bridgestone's at the time......all fun and games until showing off to my brother approached a fairly sharp bend and experienced sudden snap-oversteer and turned the unit completely around tight as a dime......was real lucky somebody wasn't coming the other way. Learned my lesson........you put in a thick rear bar, especially with a car that tends to a bit of oversteer in corners anyway when pushed hard, better go to a parking lot of big park and learn what your ST can and cant do.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
For guys going the way rear sway bars.......make damn sure you take the unit with the tires you are going to run with it on and test and test. Remember years back doing the whole Nismo suspension on my SPEC-V and running around the streets like a hero. Running sticky Bridgestone's at the time......all fun and games until showing off to my brother approached a fairly sharp bend and experienced sudden snap-oversteer and turned the unit completely around tight as a dime......was real lucky somebody wasn't coming the other way. Learned my lesson........you put in a thick rear bar, especially with a car that tends to a bit of oversteer in corners anyway when pushed hard, better go to a parking lot of big park and learn what your ST can and cant do.
The lesson is obvious, dont drive like an idiot on public roads. If you do cant say I feel bad if something happens to you.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Can I just say that every single thread I've been to that I'm reading, trying to gain some more info about the car and garner more ideas, you're replying to every single one of them and have really broken down and explained a lot in details I can use to help make a better decision. Thanks for that, hah.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I'm not going to auto x I don't think. It will be for more predictability on the roads I drive daily in a spirited manner, as I am stiffening up the car I am starting to notice other issues and I think as I continue a more predictable sway bar will be helpful. I think I will go with the strano since it isn't much different than stock, but removes the random kick from binding. Now to the final question, do I need to upgrade my bushings or does the strano bar come with new ones?
It comes with bushings and brackets. You just reuse your oem bolts. You wont regret going with Strano rear sway bar.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It comes with bushings and brackets. You just reuse your oem bolts. You wont regret going with Strano rear sway bar.
Thanks, it's on it's way. Should be here by the time I get back from OA next week in Utah.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts