Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is setup with Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers with 8K springs in the front and 5.3K in the rear, Massive Speed System rear camber arms, toe arms, rear endlinks and a Steeda rear sway bar. The car rotates nicely for auto x. However when I go on spirited drives through the hills some times its difficult to keep the rear in check. I was wondering about adding the steeda front sway bar or even swapping for the Cobb or Eibach front and rear kit. What do you guys think? I'm evening considering a front lower stress bar if I can find one that works with my charge pipes.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've always found that front bars, larger ones, increase front traction. That is until you overdrive it... So a front one would assist here. But you'll have to learn to drive differently and take a different line, or brake differently when you have both.

Nothing you want to try with playing with ride height/attitude, tire pressure, or damping profile? It's much cheaper, and less labor intensive than a front bar.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I would change out the rear bar. Adding more front bar can reduce front end grip (keeps it flatter, less independent). Try the Strano bar on the stock setting and go from there. The stock bar binds and releases which makes it behave really odd.

Your spring rates aren't helping much either. That's a huge mismatch with a lot of front bias (check the effective wheel rate of those rear spring compared to the front)!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cheapest thing for you to try is reinstalling the stock rear bar. If that doesn't work put the Steeda bar back in and install stiffer front springs or softer rear.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree a smaller bar would probably be the right way to go. I think the Strano on full stiff is less than the Steeda.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you're getting too much rotation it would seem that you need a less aggressive rear bar. I'm with the others that say don't mess with the front bar. I did front/rears on my spec v and promptly removed the front bc it caused excessive understeer, which this car does not need. Just my $.02, look forward to seeing what you do and what it results in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
For the Strano bar, just call them and place the order, they are made to order and will need a lead time of 2~3 weeks.

I placed mine on Monday directly calling them up, Sam from strano motorsports was great and answered all my questions

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree with Strano rear sway bar. I don't have a good before/after comparison, but I had my car on track a week ago and the car felt completely neutral through the corners, no typical FWD understeer, and no typcal ST twitchy oversteer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Strano bar on medium setting, stock suspension otherwise. I've done a track day so far, and will be doing autox at some point.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not looking for cheap or less expensive. I appreciate that you guys are trying to save me money. I would like the most effective way.

Sent from another garage.
The advice was to fix your problem without just going out and buying parts that may not work. If you want to spend money then buy the strano bar and see what happens. It may not work. You're getting advice from people that does not have your same setup or even coil overs in some cases. If you want to try a softer bar, you already have the stock bar. try it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
13,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The advice was to fix your problem without just going out and buying parts that may not work. If you want to spend money then buy the strano bar and see what happens. It may not work. You're getting advice from people that does not have your same setup or even coil overs in some cases. If you want to try a softer bar, you already have the stock bar. try it and see what happens.
Problem with the stock bar is its designed to bind and act like a bigger bar. The bar and bushings are notched.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't recall seeing a notch. I'll check. I still have it in the back of my truck.

Either way it is going to be softer than the Steeda bar regardless of how it is designed and will at least give you an idea of whether that fix will work.

Couldn't you always just grind the notch off?

·
Registered
552 Posts
For those using the Strano bar. What are your settings? What type of racing are you doing?

Just one or two HPDE's per year, no auto-x

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went from Steeda to Strano. Totally fixed my rear end from rotating too much. I have Steeda adjustable end links set on medium, with stock suspension and Autocross frequently.

·
Registered
483 Posts
^I didn't know that the there was a medium setting on the Steeda end links. I thought the whole point of them was to eliminate preload.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^I didn't know that the there was a medium setting on the Steeda end links. I thought the whole point of them was to eliminate preload.
Medium setting on the Strano Bar. End links are adjusted with no pre load. Sorry if that was confusing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts