Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a suspension setup, but not very knowledgeable with suspensions. I'm debating between Fortune 500, BC, Bilstien, or JBR coilovers. Or would spring or struts or something else be a better option. I don't care about lowering it a lot, i am just wanting it to help put more power to pavement for roll racing. My performance mods are full bolt ons, big turbo, aux fuel, ethanol tune. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
If ride height isn't a concern, I'd look at struts and springs over coilovers. Mountune's Clubsport kit is a complete setup and a solid performer for under $1000. The only advantage coilovers will give you at that price point is height adjustability.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
^^ What he said. If you aren't going to be dialing this in and playing with preload, height, dampening, keep it simple. A quality spring and strut setup for say $800 will turn circles around a coilover setup for $800. You can't get all those extra features for the same price and not lose R&D and/or quality.

Mountune Clubsport would be awesome for what you want.

·
Registered
768 Posts
^^ What he said. If you aren't going to be dialing this in and playing with preload, height, dampening, keep it simple. A quality spring and strut setup for say $800 will turn circles around a coilover setup for $800. You can't get all those extra features for the same price and not lose R&D and/or quality.

Mountune Clubsport would be awesome for what you want.
Probably the first time I've ever heard anyone say springs and struts will turn circles around coil overs...that's quite a profound statement.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Probably the first time I've ever heard anyone say springs and struts will turn circles around coil overs...that's quite a profound statement.
At that price point. Sub-$1000 coilovers are almost always a compromise. The Bilsteins have a great reputation, but they also have no features apart from adjustable ride height and aren't even shipped as complete units. Other low-cost coilovers that have all the bells and whistles end up being poor quality, or poorly matched to the car, or both.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Aaaahhhh...I get it now; I see what you guys are saying. But it seems all the coil-overs seem to be around the $1,000 mark, give or take, and JBRs new set up being extremely intriguing knowing their quality. At first, it wasn't just hard for my brain to process why you'd buy springs/struts if you could get coil-overs for the same, if not cheaper (B14's are cheaper than ClubSports right now. Adjustability and price aside, why would you not chose a coil-over over a spring/strut set up?

·
Vendor
380 Posts
MFactory is currently running a group buy on the YCW reference coilovers. I have the round two testing set and love them. I'll be upgrading to the swift springs that everyone in the group buy will get.

Sent from another garage.
Yup, we still have a couple sets left at pre-order pricing here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/mfacto...series-coilovers-official-pre-order-list.html

You can also view more detailed info on the product (and why we are not just your typical budget coilover) on our new website: YCW Suspension - Over-Engineered for Performance, Comfort & Safety

1 - 9 of 9 Posts