Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, I need help finding where I install a new fuel pump control module.

Story...

My 2013 FoST with 49,500mi is losing power instantaneously at random times during light to moderate acceleration. It seems to happen more when the weather is colder (might do it once or twice on a 30mi tip to and from work), and not so frequent when its warmer (some days it doesn't do it at all).

I took it to the ford dealership where I purchased it from and the service guy says the pulled codes were P0131 P0132 and P025B.

He goes on to say that the only thing this points them to is that "the fuel pump control module may need to be replaced" but, " the module is working OK at this time".

I asked them if they had unplugged things while testing and he said that yes they did.

So, hoping that maybe by unplugging and re-plugging those connections they had somehow potentially fixed the problem (maybe there was a bad contact) I decided not to order the part from Ford at that time and take my chances that it might be OK now. (quoted $131.00 for the part only)

A few days later... same sudden loss of power symptom came back again.

I looked online and found the fuel pump control module part for much cheaper ($83.99) so I went ahead and ordered it.

The part just came in. Now I need to know where I install it, looking around the car, I have no clue... Please help!

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is typically near the fuel tank, sometimes on top of the fuel tank. If its not on the fuel tank, it is probably around the EVAP components. Probably on the sub frame. You won't find it if the car is on the ground.

I can't find a picture of the exact location. But I did find the module for 33 dollars at Buy 2016 Ford Focus Parts | FordParts.com.

And since you already have the module, you might as well put it in. But (in my experience) 95% of electrical concerns, the root cause is wiring and not a module.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you tpiechow for the thoughtful response. This gives me a good starting point to look around, although I don't have a lift, just a car jack. So hopefully its not buried.

I agree with you that it probably is not the module itself, but I had nothing else to go on with what the ford service tech told me.

This must be a rather uncommon problem if nobody else has chimed in by now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I found the part on this schematic, looks like it is near the fuel tank as you suggested. I'll update with any new information.

View attachment 208625
Yeah I found that picture too, I am just not 100% if it is in actual relation to where it is under the car. But that is why I thought of it being on the sub frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it under the passengers side rear seat, under the carpet. I don't recommend cutting the carpet for access, but that's what I did. Please don't flame me, I realize its a hack job.

New module is now installed. So far no symptoms of the sudden loss of power under acceleration, but its almost 60 degrees here today and it doesn't seem to happen very often in warmer weather.

I will report back if this turns out to have solved the problem after the weather gets colder again.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments everyone!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the problem came back yesterday... I'm not sure what to do next... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Did you clear the faults before driving it again to see which faults return? P0131 is an o2 sensor fault. P025b is the pump module range performance. Meaning either the ecm is bad or the signal it is receiving from the ecm is out of range performeance. Could be a fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The o2 sensor faults are either from them unplugging it or you need a primary o2 as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this thread through Google and decided to join...

I'm having the same problem also. What ever happened with this issue? I saw that the same problem happened again after you changed the module. I'm about to change the same one on Friday (thanks to AutoZone for sending the wrong part) and want to know if it's worth keeping the part or moving on. Did you wind up needing a fuel pump after all? Not really looking forward to dropping the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this thread through Google and decided to join...

I'm having the same problem also. What ever happened with this issue? I saw that the same problem happened again after you changed the module. I'm about to change the same one on Friday (thanks to AutoZone for sending the wrong part) and want to know if it's worth keeping the part or moving on. Did you wind up needing a fuel pump after all? Not really looking forward to dropping the tank.
Did you ever figure out the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering did anyone figure out what it was?! I’m having the same issue. Thanks
Same here, I swapped that part as well and the problem came back. Just curious if anyone else has figured something out before I start tearing stuff apart on my car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts