Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 6700 miles on my 2016 focus ST and normally get around 28-30mpg.

Got an oil change at 5800 miles and i'm noticing I get 23-25mpg now for the last 3-4 fill ups. I'm not driving any different than normal. Dealership did oil change and the car is stock.

It has gone from 70 degrees outside to around 100 and maybe that is it?

My last car was an rx8 and so im OCD about tracking mpg because when it drops for no particular reason it can mean a loss of compression.

Anyone have a similar issue or advice?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Have you employed the AC since the weather gets hot?
If the car sat idling for a long time, that will drop the MPG's considerably.
Have you re-set the MPG counter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the AC is working more now that it is 100.
I let the car idle until the rpms drop down, then drive.
The mpgs are reset at each fill up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont expect the AC to cause more than 1/2-1.5 mpg loss like the rx8.

Maybe I need to realign than expectation. 5mpg loss for AC seems a bit much.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's your AC. I bought mine in February and since I've been using the AC I've noticed my mileage has dropped a couple MPG.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Same gas station as always. 87 octane each time.
Try stepping to a top tier fuel and 93 octane. Report back how the car runs and economy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have about 6700 miles on my 2016 focus ST and normally get around 28-30mpg.

Got an oil change at 5800 miles and i'm noticing I get 23-25mpg now for the last 3-4 fill ups. I'm not driving any different than normal. Dealership did oil change and the car is stock.

It has gone from 70 degrees outside to around 100 and maybe that is it?

My last car was an rx8 and so im OCD about tracking mpg because when it drops for no particular reason it can mean a loss of compression.

Anyone have a similar issue or advice?
What is your commute like? Do you have a lot of stop and go traffic? What would best describe you driving "normal"?

I know driving in Houston ( a lot of stop/go traffic and waiting) with a little spirited take offs and runs, my MPG are around 17-19. I use the A/C all the time, too. I knew my mileage would suffer some when I got my Borla CBE due to me like hearing it when I get on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My normal commute is 30 miles a day of medium/low traffic which usually results in about 25mpg-26mpg. Then 100 miles on the weekend of freeway only no traffic driving which normally drives me up to 30-31mpg.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's the weather. I'm in DFW and have seen a big drop in the last few weeks as well. During our cool spring this year I was seeing 27MPG during my normal suburban commute. Since it got hot - really hot - I have to hypermile to reach 23. The more cooling you need, the more fuel it burns. So don't worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts