Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found a guide on the Escape forums about fitting a larger battery than stock. our stock size is 96r but it is in fact possible to fit a larger 94r battery. 200 more cranking amps, as well as a higher reserve capacity. battery dimensions are identical aside from the 94r being about 1.5" longer. the stock battery tray has 2 spacers, which are easily popped out. the front one is horizontal and long and the rear one is little and stubby. the 94r fits in absolutely perfectly with these spacers removed. both battery terminals go on perfectly as well. 0 issues. but any time you replace your battery in these new ford cars, you have to reset the battery monitor. this requires either a trip to the dealer, or download FORScan and use an obd2 dongle to reset. larger batteries are useful for people who have a lot of aftermarket electrical accessories installed, like a large stereo or tons of lights or compressors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
this is awesome news, any chance you have a picture of the spacers removed for future reference?

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Just about to give this a go on my 2015 hope it works. Thanks for posting.

·
Administrator
10,658 Posts
Just about to give this a go on my 2015 hope it works. Thanks for posting.
It works, I run the larger battery. I have some pics and such in my build thread, it's very easy, and straightforward though.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Yes it worked! this is very awesome indeed. Considering the signifigance of the modification it was very easy to do.

Got a Napa 94R6 https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NAB94R6

The factory metal bracket & plastic upper covers wont fit, but thats really the only compromise. Less room to hide my extra wires but maybe I will figure something out later.
IMG_0431.jpg

·
Administrator
10,658 Posts
Yes it worked! this is very awesome indeed. Considering the signifigance of the modification it was very easy to do.

Got a Napa 94R6 https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NAB94R6

The factory metal bracket & plastic upper covers wont fit, but thats really the only compromise. Less room to hide my extra wires but maybe I will figure something out later.
View attachment 354425
I got the battery cover to fit, but i bent the **** out of my bracket to get it to work!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mine went today. It allowed me in but when I tried the ignition the entire car was dead as a doornail. No lights on the dash, no clock, no mirrors, no locks, NOTHING. And I wasn't getting that buzzing others have mentioned. I was just getting a blank. How long on average are the batteries supposed to last, and do they need a genuine Ford technician to replace them, or are they okay to send to a regular garage to get replaced?

·
Administrator
10,658 Posts
Mine went today. It allowed me in but when I tried the ignition the entire car was dead as a doornail. No lights on the dash, no clock, no mirrors, no locks, NOTHING. And I wasn't getting that buzzing others have mentioned. I was just getting a blank. How long on average are the batteries supposed to last, and do they need a genuine Ford technician to replace them, or are they okay to send to a regular garage to get replaced?
Regular shop, or even yourself. The OEM battery is notorious for failing early. Simple bolt out, bolt in.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
. How long on average are the batteries supposed to last, and do they need a genuine Ford technician to replace them, or are they okay to send to a regular garage to get replaced?
Most recommend replacing/lasting 3-5years. If you live in a hot climate, less. I replaced mine myself at home, so dont think you need an official Ford tech doing the job...although mine wasnt dead when i swapped it.

FYI, speaking of larger batteries, i am running a redtop 35, slightly taller than oem but still fits with the battery cover on (albeit a bit stretched.)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That's amazing then, 'cause my factory battery has lasted over 5 years! Wow! Not too hot on it not giving me any warning though. Ironic, considering all the other nannying tech they put on it. So then, my car nags me about having no seat belt on but doesn't tell me when my battery's about to die? Interesting...:rolleyes:

I tried a search for the battery choices mentioned above but couldn't find any available in the UK. Any tips for any other good heavy duty replacements? The only battery I could find was the Bosch C3 007

Edit: I've just noticed the Redtop 35. Did a search and I found them. Heavy prices though, over twice the price of the C3 007. Is it over twice the quality though?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Edit: I've just noticed the Redtop 35. Did a search and I found them. Heavy prices though, over twice the price of the C3 007. Is it over twice the quality though?
I wouldnt say its twice the quality, its nice and worked out fine for me but i only bought mine because of a 40% discount and free shipping posted on here last year.

Full price, i would just stick with whats locally available. Yours lasted a decent amount of time, doesnt sound like you had any issues with just using a normal battery.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I wouldnt say its twice the quality, its nice and worked out fine for me but i only bought mine because of a 40% discount and free shipping posted on here last year.

Full price, i would just stick with whats locally available. Yours lasted a decent amount of time, doesnt sound like you had any issues with just using a normal battery.
No, actually this is the first problem I've ever had with my car. Amazing considering how many mods and tuning I've had done to it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I installed an H7, 94r AGM battery, Specifically an Advanced Auto Platinum battery and it fits in the box but the bracket needs to be bent to be used and the battery box cover doesn’t quite fit right. Even though I’m still decently satisfied because it was much more affordable than a PC1200T battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts