Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 ST2, which I love. But after owning 20-30 vehicles ranging from the 1966 model year on up, I've never had one that didn't have a simple way to turn on all of the interior lights. On the older stuff, you would rotate the instrument panel dimmer knob fully counterclockwise.
I've gone through the manual and pushed various buttons but can't seem to figure this one out.

Is it possible? I mean without opening a door or turning off the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have a 2016 ST2, which I love. But after owning 20-30 vehicles ranging from the 1966 model year on up, I've never had one that didn't have a simple way to turn on all of the interior lights. On the older stuff, you would rotate the instrument panel dimmer knob fully counterclockwise.
I've gone through the manual and pushed various buttons but can't seem to figure this one out.

Is it possible? I mean without opening a door or turning off the engine.
It's above your head to the left. There is two buttons. A "lights on" and "all lights disabled" button which turns them off and makes them stay off if the door opens. It's an odd placement, but that's where it is.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's above your head to the left. There is two buttons. A "lights on" and "all lights disabled" button which turns them off and makes them stay off if the door opens. It's an odd placement, but that's where it is.
This. Mine is actually in the middle near the map light, though. May be in a different spot on the facelift model, which you have.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
This. Mine is actually in the middle near the map light, though. May be in a different spot on the facelift model, which you have.
True, it might be slightly different for me since I have a 2014. But yeah it's in an interesting spot.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have a 13', where is this "switch"?
Should be in the same spot as Brian's. He said upper left of yo head.
Yup. Above your head to the left where your light is. In front (towards front of car) is 2 buttons. One facing inside the car is the door powered lights off and one facing outside the car is all interior lights on.
@Bradley posted the service manual page also. It literally has them labeled.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have a 13', where is this "switch"?
Yes, I did read that in the owner's manual before I posted, but I couldn't find any such set of switches in my car. I will look above my head to the left, the first chance I get.
You're going to be like "Wtf...that's been there hiding above me for all this time?"

The day I saw it was like literally 5 months after I bought the car when I was trying to turn my light off sitting outside my buddies house. I looked up and hit the wrong one and it turned them ALL off...so I hit the other one and it turned them ALL on again. Then I realized the individual light switches are towards the REAR of the car on the other end of the light that is above your head, as you will see in the manual picture.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went out to my car, which is again a 2016 ST2, and cannot find any such set of switches. Where, precisely is it supposed to be located? On the headliner? On the A-Pillar? I don't see anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I just went out to my car, which is again a 2016 ST2, and cannot find any such set of switches. Where, precisely is it supposed to be located? On the headliner? On the A-Pillar? I don't see anything like that.
Unless the 2016 ST2 is distinctly different or you wildly explained what you are asking in a manner me and a few others misunderstood what you're asking...literally above the drivers seat on the headliner...look at the light. The switches are on the light. There is only 3 lights in the entire ceiling lol

Literally above your head is a light that looks like this with 4 switches on it lol
lights.png

Every ST I've seen was like this that I've taken notice...unless the 2016 ST2 is seriously weird and doesn't have the basics

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much Brian60 for the picture.
Now I know that my car DOES NOT have this set of switches. From the looks of it, it is above the driver's B-pillar. Here is a picture of the area between my driver's B-pillar and sunroof. I can see the impression in the headliner for where it would have gone.
IMG_0666.JPG

So does every other Focus have this except mine? I have three overhead lights, two "map lights" in the front and a single light in the center over the rear seat. There are switches on there, I don't know what they do.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Thanks so much Brian60 for the picture.
Now I know that my car DOES NOT have this set of switches. From the looks of it, it is above the driver's B-pillar. Here is a picture of the area between my driver's B-pillar and sunroof. I can see the impression in the headliner for where it would have gone.
View attachment 276802

So does every other Focus have this except mine? I have three overhead lights, two "map lights" in the front and a single light in the center over the rear seat. There are switches on there, I don't know what they do.
My '15 st3 has the 2 front map lights and single-housed 2 rear lights, and no way to keep the lights off when you unlock the doors or shut off the engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The interior lighting on the 15+ models is completely different than the 13-14s. My 2016 has that button up front with the two map lights and the sunglasses compartment. It's an ST3, but I don't see why the ST2 wouldn't​ have the same button.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
my 2015 ST2 has the exact same switch as post #12, but since I don't have a sunroof, it is dead center.

if you have the interior lights up in the center console with the sunglasses holder, can you post picture of that whole thing and what buttons are up there?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Pretty sure (without checking) my 2015 ST3 bought in Canada, built in Michigan with the sunroof does not have that mystery switch. I will edit this if tomorrow morning I am wrong once I am done ****ting myself.

I do have button for "All lights" on the roof in the middle with a bunch of things. I do not have an "all lights off" & the entire panel is not shaped the same way, it is incorporated with the dimming switch & coloured lights button.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a picture of the overhead console, which contains only the sunroof switch.
IMG_0667.JPG

I did get a chance to play with the switches on the light over the rear seat. Like Blackula said, that light is actually two lights, one for each side of the rear seat area, and the switches turn those lights on and off, which are designed to be activated by rear seat occupants.

Still no switch to turn them all on.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Anyone else find this just absolutely mind boggling? Lol we have 2015 ST2s with the switch and 2015 ST2s withOUT the switch..then we have 2016s entirely missing the light completely above the drivers head like in @The STig 's car. THEN some 2016s have the switch as an ST3 but not ST2? Why does that make any sense? What in the hell is Ford smoking with out interior lighting controls? :lol: they are all different. Wild.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts