Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys today I finally got my Whoosh FMIC. As I was trying to take out the OEM intercooler one of the intercooler bracket bolts on the hot-side was rusted and then started to strip. Any advice? I used penetrator fluid and now have been trying to use pliers and vice grips to no success.

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Hey guys today I finally got my Whoosh FMIC. As I was trying to take out the OEM intercooler one of the intercooler bracket bolts on the hot-side was rusted and then started to strip. Any advice? I used penetrator fluid and now have been trying to use pliers and vice grips to no success.

View attachment 394233
Soak it down good and try again tomorrow; sometimes it takes a bit to get good pentration.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @ddfred. @TurboGT I was reading another one of your posts about turbo sockets. The problem is there is a bar right underneath it. I’m not sure I could line it up correctly and also fit a power tool in there.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Thanks @ddfred. @TurboGT I was reading another one of your posts about turbo sockets. The problem is there is a bar right underneath it. I’m not sure I could line it up correctly and also fit a power tool in there.
Theyll bite on an angle. Do NOT use a power tool on any rounded fastener. It requires some finesse, use them by hand. I have a couple sets, they're A life saver!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys today I finally got my Whoosh FMIC.
Did you get one of the last silvers? I settled for black. I chose something over waiting.

Edited; for clarity

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
398 Posts
Do NOT use 12 point sockets or wrenches on anthing but a brand new fastener. Make sure you're using a 6 point on it, and that it fits well. This will cut down on a lot of rounded heads. I usually snap the head off before I round it with my set of 6 points.

It's probably already rounded, so a socket like @TurboGT posted can potentially work. Worst case, cut the head off with a cutoff wheel and use an easy out to get the rest of the bolt out.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
398 Posts
Also, if you try an extractor socket, out some heat on the area around the bolt to help it out. Try tj keep the heat away from the bolt, you want the surrounding metal to expand, and not the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Also, if you try an extractor socket, out some heat on the area around the bolt to help it out. Try tj keep the heat away from the bolt, you want the surrounding metal to expand, and not the bolt.
They cant put heat there, its the plastic tab that the intercooler sits on. It will melt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I used those turbo sockets, it made it turn, but now it’s only turning and not coming out. Above the metal is metal bushing of sorts that’s rusty over but still is solid. I’m not sure what I should do.

that’s the none rusted bolt from the top from the cold side bolt.

This is the top of the rounded out bolt on the hot-side. It seems pretty rusted and that top metal part seems to spin with the bolt. I tried prying on the metal on top to keep it from spinning with the bolt but it still seems to not work.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated. I have been doing this for over 9 hours.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Support the intercooler/condenser/radiator andTake that radiator support totally off the car (4 bolts hold it on)
Get a cutoff wheel in there and slice the bolt head off a little at a time. Cut some, spray with water (as to not melt the plastic tab). Cut more, spray with water.

Reactions: Sabatzis

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST / Stratified Tune
70 Posts
I believe that is the exact bolt I had to drill out during my FMIC install.
Drill it out, take the other good bolt to a hardware store, buy some decent nuts and bolts. Done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I used those turbo sockets, it made it turn, but now it’s only turning and not coming out. Above the metal is metal bushing of sorts that’s rusty over but still is solid. I’m not sure what I should do.

View attachment 394244
that’s the none rusted bolt from the top.

View attachment 394245
This is the top of the rounded out bolt. It seems pretty rusted and that top metal part seems to spin with the bolt. I tried prying on the metal on top to keep it from spinning with the bolt but it still seems to not work.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated. I have been doing this for over 9 hours.
I believe that is the exact bolt I had to drill out during my FMIC install.
Drill it out, take the other good bolt to a hardware store, buy some decent nuts and bolts. Done.
How did you drill it out? I can’t seem to penetrate the head. It’s not digging in at all…

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Reactions: Sabatzis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mission accomplished guys! This is why we are the best car community!!! I was able to drill into it and then pry it out…had to saw off the Bracket off the OEM FMIC.

This is the end result of the bolt.

This is what’s left of the bracket on the car. It’s messed up but still can hold the bracket of the new intercooler.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts