Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the stratified ots tune better than the cobb ots?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Is the stratified ots tune better than the cobb ots?
Stratified's flash tunes are made for your car specifically based on what mods you have. They don't have ots tunes like Cobb.

That being said, they are more powerful than the Cobb ots tunes. They aren't free though unless you buy the Accessport off of them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
"Yes"... that is all.
Basically this. If you got a tune from Stratified it would be more powerful than the basic ots tunes from Cobb. /Thread

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Question if i get a mountune flash is my car still covered under warranty?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I believe you would have to find a Ford dealer to load the tune. Beyond that the answer is universally no.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm currently running cobb stage 2. Last piece I need is a down pipe to run stage3. Honestly I'm not real impressed with the cobb stage2. It's definitely quicker but still not real impressed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stratified seems pretty cheap. I think I'll pull the trigger

·
Registered
201 Posts
They will send you a email with a form to fill out. In that form you tell them exactly what mods you have and they will tailer the map to those mods. Instead of the COBB maps which use the volumes and flow rates of only their parts if you have a larger intercooler for example they will use the volume for that intercooler so you actually get the full potential of the parts. It's worth it, and if you buy your parts from them each purchase includes a flash tune.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Strat all day every day

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Been running a stratified tune for a few days now. lost some up top but gained more than what i lost in the lower to mid range. Boost by gear is cool along with a better tc system. Well worth 85 bucks. Only thing I regret is not getting a 100 octane tune at the same time.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
To confirm what everyone else has said, any of the ST tuning companies that sell the Cobb AP are going to offer a better ots tune than Cobbs ots maps. For the same price as buying the AP from Cobb you can buy it through one of these companies and get a much better tune, or pay an extra amount and get a true custom tune with Datalogging. Running Stratified here and will be updating to a custom tune soon hopefully.

Reactions: R.overstreet

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you buy the ap from a different vendor, be it Mountune or Stratified, do you still get the Cobb ots tunes as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Question if i get a mountune flash is my car still covered under warranty?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
From what I understand, only the MP275 package will keep your manufacturer warranty IF installed by an ASE certified tech or a Ford dealer that will install it, and there is paperwork to fill out to even register the package/install to make it legit. So if you just buy the AP from them and get a custom tune, you void warranty.

That's what I got out of talking with a mountune rep. It ain't cheap, but it's the best way to fully keep warranty if you want some more power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm convinced. Ordered a catless DP and a stratified flash tune with the refinement from data logs. Thanks for the input guys?

Reactions: Bryman13

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
From what I understand, only the MP275 package will keep your manufacturer warranty IF installed by an ASE certified tech or a Ford dealer that will install it, and there is paperwork to fill out to even register the package/install to make it legit. So if you just buy the AP from them and get a custom tune, you void warranty.

That's what I got out of talking with a mountune rep. It ain't cheap, but it's the best way to fully keep warranty if you want some more power.
They recommend this because Mountune is a Ford affiliate. It's marketing bs mainly. A lot of people got their car tuned by any other company and still had their warranty work done when needed. Read the earlier responses in the thread of the warranty stickied post instead of spreading marketing mumbo jumbo.

All of this being said, the Mountune option will probably give you a slightly higher chance of not having issues because it was installed BY a Ford technician usually...BUT, in my personal eyes the company doesn't need to know my car is tuned at all, so if something happens and I have to take my car in, I UNTUNE the car then cycle through the ignition process a few dozen times. Don't spend too much on the Mountune option just to have a slim chance of getting warranty work done lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Well, I'm convinced. Ordered a catless DP and a stratified flash tune with the refinement from data logs. Thanks for the input guys��
You'll be very happy. Excellent customer service and company with a great, powerful tune option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They recommend this because Mountune is a Ford affiliate. It's marketing bs mainly. A lot of people got their car tuned by any other company and still had their warranty work done when needed. Read the earlier responses in the thread of the warranty stickied post instead of spreading marketing mumbo jumbo.

All of this being said, the Mountune option will probably give you a slightly higher chance of not having issues because it was installed BY a Ford technician usually...BUT, in my personal eyes the company doesn't need to know my car is tuned at all, so if something happens and I have to take my car in, I UNTUNE the car then cycle through the ignition process a few dozen times. Don't spend too much on the Mountune option just to have a slim chance of getting warranty work done lol
Oh I agree it's all a bunch of marketing and a way to markup their products, however, if you want to be 100% safe, that's the way to go. Obviously there's better, cheaper ways to make power, but if you have a big failure, Ford can dig and see you were tuned. Of course if your sway bar links go bad under warranty, they won't look to see if you were tuned, but I think you get what I'm saying. Lol

I'm extremely tempted to go stratified and an intercooler this summer, maybe a DP. However, learning about the 15 and 16 models having random misfire issues, albeit, very rear ones, I'm a little more hesitant now. At least until Ford figures out wtf is going on.

Edit: I'm not trying to spread marketing mumbo jumbo. Someone asked if you were tuned with mountune, would you keep warranty. And the first response wasn't the best in my eyes. You don't just want to get a tune from mountune and ask a dealer to load it... They'll laugh at you and note down that you're trying to tune your car, then proceed to not cover anything under warranty because they're ****s like that. Not everything from mountune keeps your warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Oh I agree it's all a bunch of marketing and a way to markup their products, however, if you want to be 100% safe, that's the way to go. Obviously there's better, cheaper ways to make power, but if you have a big failure, Ford can dig and see you were tuned. Of course if your sway bar links go bad under warranty, they won't look to see if you were tuned, but I think you get what I'm saying. Lol

I'm extremely tempted to go stratified and an intercooler this summer, maybe a DP. However, learning about the 15 and 16 models having random misfire issues, albeit, very rear ones, I'm a little more hesitant now. At least until Ford figures out wtf is going on.
It isn't 100% guaranteed safe. That's where you were fooled by his saleperson ways. 0 Aftermarket Mountune parts are 100% foolproof to ensure you will get covered by warranty. Heck, a 100% stock car won't get covered by warranty if they prove you caused the problem. Mountune is liked by Ford because it's a Ford affiliate, but if the issue at hand was per-say LPSI caused...I could easily see them saying it's your fault we aren't covering it.

I'm not spending way more money for something that has almost the same chance of getting a warranty denied as another better cheaper product.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts