Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I just switched out my cobb stage 2 tune for a Stratified tune (for an intake and FMIC) and first off holy crap what a difference in torque and drivability. I have to say even after just driving with it for like 30 minutes I don't think I could ever go back lol It's awesome! However I noticed something odd with the OAR learned value and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. The OAR learned value is completely stuck at -0.5. As soon as I turned the car on after flashing the tune the OAR learned value was -0.5 and after doing a few WOT runs it still didn't change at all. I remember when I flashed the cobb tune the OAR learned value started at 0 and as I did more and more WOT runs it kept getting closer and closer to -1 until it stayed at -1 and never changed. I thought maybe if I reflashed the tune it would start out at 0 again, but the same thing happened, it immediately came up as -0.5 and never changed even after a bunch of WOT runs. I'm probably just not understanding something, but I thought it seemed weird and worthy of a post lol Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
it takes some time but it will change, i notice it changes more when im in a higher gear and just give it some gas on the highway personally. And ya stratified tunes feel so good

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know you can edit how the OAR behaves and certainly Strat has tweaked this vs stock or an OTS tune. On an OTS tune, if I get the engine into anything +7psi or so (ballpark, I'm looking at the stock gauge) for a couple seconds or more, the ignition timing corrections seem to 'stick' or apply to the OAR value.

On a strat tune, it seems this threshold is definitely higher in boost/load and maybe the time requirement as well. So bottom line for any corrections to be applied to OAR, you need to get into a higher load/boost situation for longer for it have any effect. Negative corrections/higher OAR may apply much more liberally, not sure.

I live in flat Florida and find it hard to get the OAR to -1 with normal driving. Only long WOT pulls will it really do anything. I was up in the mountains over the weekend and hit -1 pretty quick-- lots of steep uphill mountains on the highway etc. If you're desperate to get OAR to -1, try to keep the boost needle at/above the halfway point for a relatively extended period of time. You can also brake boost a little if you're worried about speed-- put the car in sport mode first to keep the auto brakes from interfering.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do 4th gear pulls on the highway rolling onto the throttle instead of WOT. Each pull from 80-120kmph should give you .04 to .10 of OAR gains.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Stratified custom tune and my OAR stays at -1.00 constant. I use Husky 94 gas in Calgary, AB. I've been filling up at a higher traffic station for the past two tanks, and I've been seeing less knock events at WOT.

You might want to consider trying a different brand of 93+ fuel, or even a different station.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I have both a 91 and 93 octane map on the tune. Does it automatically switch between them? But something is wrong with the reading I'm sure, it hasn't changed at all since I flashed it, just stuck exactly at -0.50.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
My latest version update also started at -0.50, but all it took to get to -1 was a quick run up Hwy 181 in the mtns of NC. May just be a difference in fuel, but I always get to -1 with very little effort with Stratified tunes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm ok I guess I'll try throwing some 94 octane in the tank and if it doesn't go to -1 I'll know somethings not working properly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine changes when I switch up gas stations, Sheetz in NC has e85 for my Stratified e30 tune and has consistently been -1.00.

OAR is all related to fuel correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine changes when I switch up gas stations, Sheetz in NC has e85 for my Stratified e30 tune and has consistently been -1.00.

OAR is all related to fuel correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I think it's a measure of the quality of the fuel in terms of octane. I don't know how it works, but for me it doesn't appear to be doing anything lol I put 94 octane in for a 91 octane stratified tune and it's still reading out exactly -0.5.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I reflashed today and it reset back to -0.50. Think I found a pretty good way to get it back to -1 quickly. I put the car in the eco map slot, ~15psi on the strat tunes. Then I just did several long WOT pulls as I was safely able to do so. I'd do about 2k rpm in 4th up to 80 mph or so. Each time it would tick up 0.1 or more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I reflashed today and it reset back to -0.50. Think I found a pretty good way to get it back to -1 quickly. I put the car in the eco map slot, ~15psi on the strat tunes. Then I just did several long WOT pulls as I was safely able to do so. I'd do about 2k rpm in 4th up to 80 mph or so. Each time it would tick up 0.1 or more.
Interesting...I finally saw it change to -0.53 when I was gunning it in 4th gear today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts