Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just looking at ordering the Stratified Stage 1 map. I see they have loads of options you can add to the map. the 2 im interested in are: the traction control and aggressive throttle mapping.

Is the traction control worth the extra bit of money and how aggressive is the throttle map?

any input welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
The traction control is definitely worth it. It is light years ahead of the standard one.

Note that it does not turn your car into an AWD vehicle like I have seen some people complain about, you are still limited by the fact that the ST is a FWD car. What it does very well is limit the slip and get the optimum amount of power down with respect to your available traction.

With respect to the throttle mapping that is up to the individual, aggressive will just mean that with less throttle input the torque target will be higher. Personally I prefer linear as it allows me to modulate it better when exiting corners at the track and canyon runs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Personally I love the "Aggressive throttle mapping" before having it tuned, it felt pretty low powered even of you give it 75% throttle. And never felt fast until you gave it WOT...

Now it really goes when you give it a little gas. It can still be driven smoothly if you baby the pedal. It's kinda hard to explain but it really ramps up quickly. Like at 50% throttle, it feels like it's more at 75% power. And the last 20% of pedal travel only accounts for the last 5% of throttle response.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I prefer the linear throttle map, as it gives you more control.

Stock TC makes the car feel like it's falling on its face when it kicks in, Stratified's make it feel a lot less so, more controlled power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, if i select the Traction Control mod and select always enabled by default, is its as it reads. Get in the car and its always on, never have to go to the AP3 and enable it?

Im really stuck with the throttle mapping, I do like the feel of the power coming on earlier in the pedal position , i just dont know how controllable it is? does anyone have any the ratio's for it, ie: 50% input = 75%

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, if i select the Traction Control mod and select always enabled by default, is its as it reads. Get in the car and its always on, never have to go to the AP3 and enable it?

Im really stuck with the throttle mapping, I do like the feel of the power coming on earlier in the pedal position , i just dont know how controllable it is? does anyone have any the ratio's for it, ie: 50% input = 75%

Have you used a COBB map so far? It basically feels like that in the pedal position standpoint. Where the linear throttle mapping feels kind of stockish.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As explained by Stratified, when you start the car both regular traction control and Stratified are enabled (There is apparently no way to override this because of Ford's perceived safety concerns). Sport mode gives you the Stratified TC at the default setting, but it can be changed thru the AP. The OFF setting turns them both off.

Edit 12-06-2017; rereading the posts in the stratified thread, if one opts for always-on, it defaults to having Ford and Stratified TC on by default, and just stratified in Sport and "Off" modes. Apparently, according to fingerthief, you can only turn it totally off thru the AP. I'm not quite sure how it works when one chooses the off=by-default option.

Reactions: zerocoolxx

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It's super controllable, and the biggest reason that it's so hard to say what the ratio is, is because it's not linear, the ratio is constantly changing as it ramps up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you used a COBB map so far? It basically feels like that in the pedal position standpoint. Where the linear throttle mapping feels kind of stockish.
Yeah i have the COBB stage 1 map on at the minute, it feels pretty weak and i think the throttle mapping isnt great, I have to plant the plant the pedal to get decent out put. As i wont be doing many track days, i thought for a daily driver the Aggressive map feel more fun and alert on a day to day basis.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Personally I love the "Aggressive throttle mapping" before having it tuned, it felt pretty low powered even of you give it 75% throttle. And never felt fast until you gave it WOT...

Now it really goes when you give it a little gas. It can still be driven smoothly if you baby the pedal. It's kinda hard to explain but it really ramps up quickly. Like at 50% throttle, it feels like it's more at 75% power. And the last 20% of pedal travel only accounts for the last 5% of throttle response.

If I remember correctly it is actually even more abrupt than that. Something like

Actual pedal % -> Throttle
10 -> 10
20 -> 40
40 -> 80
50 -> 100

Like, it's QUITE aggressive hahaha. Intoxicating if you're into that kind of abrupt power.

As far as the traction control...it's incredible. Straight up like I'd trade it for sliced bread.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with linear for my stage 1 and set up TC auto off - I like selecting the right combo of buttons for sport driving. And no - you don't need the AP to select the TC option. One press of the TC button after turning the car on is enough for the stratified tc to kick in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with linear for my stage 1 and set up TC auto off - I like selecting the right combo of buttons for sport driving. And no - you don't need the AP to select the TC option. One press of the TC button after turning the car on is enough for the stratified tc to kick in.
so if you but it with "off by default" you just press the TC button once and the Strat TC turns on? If its as good as people say why would people not have it on by default?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I remember correctly it is actually even more abrupt than that. Something like

Actual pedal % -> Throttle
10 -> 10
20 -> 40
40 -> 80
50 -> 100

Like, it's QUITE aggressive hahaha. Intoxicating if you're into that kind of abrupt power.

As far as the traction control...it's incredible. Straight up like I'd trade it for sliced bread.
Yeah that does sound aggressive :)

ahhhh....cant make my mind up...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
so if you but it with "off by default" you just press the TC button once and the Strat TC turns on? If its as good as people say why would people not have it on by default?

Thanks
Well, NO tuner TC works until you turn off the stock TC. The stock TC will override whatever tuner option you are running. If you put your car into sport/track mode, then the only one that will be working will be the Strat/Cobb/Whoever TC. If you wish to disable THAT TC then you have to go into the accessport and disable it or have your tuner turn it off by default and you have to go in every time manually on the AP and turn it onto whatever setting you wish.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm a little confused on Statified's traction control. There graphic lists their optimal level as 4. If I have Stratified Traction Control only enabled by placing the car in "Sport Mode" do I have Statified TC set to Mode 4 or Mode 1? I know I can manually change the mode in my AP, but I am interested in knowing what the default Stratified mode is.

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
I'm a little confused on Statified's traction control. There graphic lists their optimal level as 4. If I have Stratified Traction Control only enabled by placing the car in "Sport Mode" do I have Statified TC set to Mode 4 or Mode 1? I know I can manually change the mode in my AP, but I am interested in knowing what the default Stratified mode is.
We actually set mode 1 to be optimal which is similar to mode 4. We do this so that the car is always in optimal mode once the key is cycled.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
We actually set mode 1 to be optimal which is similar to mode 4. We do this so that the car is always in optimal mode once the key is cycled.
Thanks Alex,

I understand now. I appreciate the response and Merry Christmas!

Brad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts