Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a resonator delete so I can hear the exhaust a little more and I tried the stratified exhaust crackles tune and it sounds perfect (couldn't hear it at all before removing resonator). I keep hearing different opinions on whether it will damage the stock cat or not. Anyone care to chime in?

What are the disadvantages of a damaged cat besides not being able to pass smog in california? Any performance or MPG losses? Does the exhaust get louder?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got the flash tune with an MBRP exhaust with the stock downpipe. I really like the noise. Considering that lots of Focus' out there are running Cat less downpipes. I highly doubt performance would be adversely affected. It would probably decrease turbo spool and give a small increase in horsepower. The cat is purely for emissions. But with that said a plugged up cat is also so bad. I believe the pops and crackles are from unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. I know excess fuel can kill a cat, but I don't think it will plug it up. Unless the pops and crackles creates excess carbon? Hmmmm...time to go cat less I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
It'll definitely shorten the life of the cat, but who cares....pops.

Reactions: Mjf101471

·
Registered
216 Posts
It will start to damage it from pressure spikes

Attachments

Reactions: ddotffoeg
1 - 5 of 5 Posts