Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a AP v2 and was going to upgrade to the v3. I bought a stratified ots tune and when I bought it, it asks for the AP's serial number. Is that tune that I purchased locked to that specific AP? Or will I be able to put in on my new v3 and load it back on my car? Sorry if this was covered but I literally can't find anything on this. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could you plug the V2 into your computer and save the ots tune on there and then when you get the V3, just drag it in? I'm not sure if that'll work but that's what I would try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a used Cobb AP and it says the E85 tune from Stratified is locked
All the Cobb ones are there and accessible
Does that mean its locked to the former owners car or is there something I'm missing here

·
Registered
599 Posts
wow ok.

the accessport you buy from joe blow has the serial code of 0001. he has stratified tunes on there. stratified locks their tunes to whatever serial number you put on the online form they send you.

you sell accessport serial 0001 and buy a new one with serial 0002.

you CANNOT transfer the stratified tunes from the 0001 accessport to the 0002 accessport. it will not work.

cobb tunes transfer because they are open to the public and you can download them for free.

before somebody sells their accessport, they have to uninstall (unmarry) the accessport from their car, otherwise the person that buys it will have a $500 brick in their hands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
right i get that you cant transfer the stratified tunes from the 0001 accessport to the 0002 accessport for your own use even though you bought the property
What i own is 0001 accessport why is it the tune is locked up on the 0001 i bought not the former owner owns

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
I am considering buying a used APv3 and have been told that tunes other than Cobbs would be locked.
If the tune is encrypted so that it will only work with the s/n of a particular unit, why lock it?
Is this true for all tunes (custom and flash)?
The tune will be "usable" by anyone with the same year ST as the seller...but it would be dumb to run that tune since it was built for that specific car and mod setup. Unless you have identical mods (brand included) I'd just spend the money on a new tune anyway. If you have a different year than the seller, then yes they'll be incompatible. This is not necessarily representative of all tunes, but I personally feel everyone should just get fresh tunes when they are ready for that instead of using someone elses. Especially the crappy Cobb ones

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yea u don't know about all tunes, but as @brian60 said tunes USUALLY are transferrable. Now Strat my have locked that tune, my tuner doesn't do that and usually they don't. Now sometimes they lock tunes to vin's but even they don't do that much anymore. Now as far as upgrading your device from a v2 to a v3 IF strat has it locked to a particular AP serial number they will usually send you the same tune for the new model. Especially if you buy the V3 from them. But before you even question it, I'd plug your new v3 into your computer and drag and drop because they usually can be transferred. Like Brian said any tune written for a focus st of that year with the same ecu serial number as long as it's not Vin locked can use the tune, not necessarily wise cause even if the parts on the two cars are identical, the combustion and burn of the fuel will be different from each motor, the compression is likely to be alil different, the flow of air into each valve is going to most likely be alil different. The whole reason Cobb's ots tunes work from one car to the next is they make them so openly loose as to if one car is alil different to the next the tune gives the ECU enuff wiggle room to still keep it safe as it's not tuned exact to a specific car, so all the settings while improved, are kinda generic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts