Ford Focus ST Forum banner

2981 - 2989 of 2989 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
How hard is this part to replace? If it's easy, why not just replace it?
Because it costs money to just replace a part that may not be bad. They check the part and then they tune the computer to tell if the part is failing and causing to much vacuum that will hurt things. It is cheaper to reprogram than to replace a part in every single Ford Focus. This is the same as any recall. Check then replace if needed. Mine is fine for now so I am not concerned with the recall. And all recalls on voluntary on the consumer side. You do not have to get the recall done and no one will force you to or punish you for not doing it. If the part fails or causes damage it will still be covered under the recall if you chose not to actually do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was more talking about from a customers perspective. If it's an easy thing to replace, just do it preemptively and keep rolling. I realize the car still won't tell you if its a problem, but are they really all bad parts or something?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was more talking about from a customers perspective. If it's an easy thing to replace, just do it preemptively and keep rolling. I realize the car still won't tell you if its a problem, but are they really all bad parts or something?
Most likely not very many are actually bad. It takes a certain number of them to get a recall but I doubt that is the vast majority of Foci. That is why the reprogram and inspection has made everyone happy. Only replace the ones that are needed by inspecting and if they are good still then the reprogram will set a light if and when it goes bad so that it then can be replaced. In the end you could just ignore it like many people do for recalls and if something happens just have it fixed then.

Cars get sold or traded in and resold on a daily basis that still have active recalls that were never performed. Then they get performed and all is well and they are still free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a stratified v10 tune. In this version I have an error on ECU: P013A.
So I'm installing the previous version 9.0. Without errors. Driving good.
After a few days, I install 10. The error returns...
BUG?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find it. I want to update my tune, but still need to take my ST to Ford to have them check my purge valve and update the ECU (I think it is the ECU). Can I order my updated Tune and then after ford does there work it will still work? Or should I wait and have Ford do their work first?

Also I want to switch from aggressive to linear and and keep everything else the same. Is that the $25 option or the $50 option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is directed towards Stratified but anyone with experience or actual facts is encouraged to chime in. I've read around here that some settings could be changed(tune wise) when you upgrade the intercooler, something related to volume? Is this to compensate for pressure drop, lag?

@Stratefied - Is the eco map just a low boost with all else equal? I'll like to have a low boost map with all the same features of the regular 93.

Your "Linear" throttle, is this the same as the OEM configuration? If not, can this be left stock?

Ive been itching to pull the trigger but I'm so darn OCD that I will really hate to start feeling odd stuff or just a difference in drivability then be compelled to flash back to stock, having wasted money. I truly don't have any issues with stock drivability of the car, I feel it is one of the best I've experienced. Ive read many people having issues with rev hang, rough idle and many others, maybe my 2018 is a bit more refined being the last year or maybe is the fact that I'm only at 3k miles lol.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is directed towards Stratified but anyone with experience or actual facts is encouraged to chime in. I've read around here that some settings could be changed(tune wise) when you upgrade the intercooler, something related to volume? Is this to compensate for pressure drop, lag?

@Stratefied - Is the eco map just a low boost with all else equal? I'll like to have a low boost map with all the same features of the regular 93.

Your "Linear" throttle, is this the same as the OEM configuration? If not, can this be left stock?

Ive been itching to pull the trigger but I'm so darn OCD that I will really hate to start feeling odd stuff or just a difference in drivability then be compelled to flash back to stock, having wasted money. I truly don't have any issues with stock drivability of the car, I feel it is one of the best I've experienced. Ive read many people having issues with rev hang, rough idle and many others, maybe my 2018 is a bit more refined being the last year or maybe is the fact that I'm only at 3k miles lol.

Thanks in advance.
I'm in the same place as you. Ready to pull the trigger on a tune. I'm pretty set on Stratefied too. I'm not in a place where a full custom is worth it for me, so their flash tunes seem like the best option. I like that you can retain linear throttle mapping, as opposed to the Cobb OTS tunes that I hear us an aggressive throttle mapping. I did read somewhere around here that Stratefied tunes have a higher idle set point. Wondering what the reason is for that.

Not really answering any of your questions, but I'm just as OCD when it comes to deviating from stock. I definitely want to increase the performance, but I'm petrified that any thing that seems like it takes away from daily driveability might drive me nuts. Nice knowing there's others out there with the same concerns :p .

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm in the same place as you. Ready to pull the trigger on a tune. I'm pretty set on Stratefied too. I'm not in a place where a full custom is worth it for me, so their flash tunes seem like the best option. I like that you can retain linear throttle mapping, as opposed to the Cobb OTS tunes that I hear us an aggressive throttle mapping. I did read somewhere around here that Stratefied tunes have a higher idle set point. Wondering what the reason is for that.

Not really answering any of your questions, but I'm just as OCD when it comes to deviating from stock. I definitely want to increase the performance, but I'm petrified that any thing that seems like it takes away from daily driveability might drive me nuts. Nice knowing there's others out there with the same concerns :p .

I have a stage 3 custom tune from Jay St. I don't think it affects drivability at all. They raise the idle till around 950 or 1000 RPMs to mitigate the nvh from installing a rear motor mount. If you go to jst you can get a lifetime tune. And then as you add mods all your revisions are already paid for. Until you upgrade to a larger Turbo or add a secondary fuel source such as wmi or aux fuel.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
One free mod I would do before getting a custom tune is fully Tighten the wastegate actuator preload. And then let the tuner know that you did that. I was getting over 25 lb of boost on the stock Turbo. Can do this without a custom tune but the power comes on quick and hard then.

2981 - 2989 of 2989 Posts