Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Strat tune. I'm running the stock FMIC currently. Noticed that the charge temps in my Fost are lower than ambient. Is that because I chose disable grill shutters? I've always seen these numbers are 15 to 30 degrees higher than ambient with highway driving using the Cobb OTS Stage 1 map. By the way, huge difference in all categories. I'm so glad I went with your tune. Cobb's tune was great but this is a whole different animal and I haven't done WOT yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I recall correctly, Stratified tunes account for an error in the Ford programming that actually has your ambient temps roughly 15 degrees higher than they actually are. Something about a sensor reading being wrong from the factory. I'm probably butchering the explanation but that's roughly it. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I recall correctly, Stratified tunes account for an error in the Ford programming that actually has your ambient temps roughly 15 degrees higher than they actually are. Something about a sensor reading being wrong from the factory. I'm probably butchering the explanation but that's roughly it. Enjoy it!

I've been running my car on fumes so I could get ready for the E30 tune and it was worth it. Anyways, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is correct, we corrected the sensor reading. After your car has been sitting overnight ambient and CAT temperatures should be similar - within a few degrees of each other.
Thanks Alex. I love the tuning, it's a whole different beast but only one suggestion. Would it be possible for your team to put my car in sport mode traction control by default? (Isn't that where your TC overrides the factory's?)

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
Thanks Alex. I love the tuning, it's a whole different beast but only one suggestion. Would it be possible for your team to put my car in sport mode traction control by default? (Isn't that where your TC overrides the factory's?)
We actually can't change any of the OEM traction and stability control features as they are not solely controlled via the engine ECU. The spark based traction control we use layers on top of the OEM systems.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So if you get in the car and do nothing, you are using using the factory traction control, correct? To take advantage of the Cobb/Stratified traction control, the factory one must be turned off with the factory button, correct?

And if that's all correct, I assume it's safe to say the benefits of the Stratified traction control cannot be realized until the factory one is turned off?

·
Registered
314 Posts
So if you get in the car and do nothing, you are using using the factory traction control, correct? To take advantage of the Cobb/Stratified traction control, the factory one must be turned off with the factory button, correct?

And if that's all correct, I assume it's safe to say the benefits of the Stratified traction control cannot be realized until the factory one is turned off?
I thought when you ordered stratified traction control and choose the "Always on" option it is on from the time you turn on the car, until you totally disable traction control. That is overrides the "stock" ford traction control.

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
I thought when you ordered stratified traction control and choose the "Always on" option it is on from the time you turn on the car, until you totally disable traction control. That is overrides the "stock" ford traction control.
The stratified TC when on is always there regardless of what the OEM TC and stability control is set to. It does not override it since it works on a different principle (lowers power output via timing) compared to OEM (closes throttle, applied brakes).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Alex...does mean I was correct? To have nothing but stratified tc, youd need to turn off the factory tc...otherwise it'll try to correct when needed?

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes correct otherwise they will work together.
So if I choose Stratified TC always on - in the turning form. Every time I get in the vehicle I need to turn off my stock TC completely to take advantage of the Stratified TC?

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
So if I choose Stratified TC always on - in the turning form. Every time I get in the vehicle I need to turn off my stock TC completely to take advantage of the Stratified TC?
The Stratified TC will work in conjunction with whatever else is turned on in the car traction and stability control wise. We can't disable or adjust what the OEM TC and stability control do. So if you want JUST our TC at work then you have to disable the OEM TC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Stratified TC will work in conjunction with whatever else is turned on in the car traction and stability control wise. We can't disable or adjust what the OEM TC and stability control do. So if you want JUST our TC at work then you have to disable the OEM TC.
Thank you, is it most effective to use just your TC or the combination of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts