Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to lunch at work today and when I came back to my car I found what looked like yellow mustard in the corners of my two center air vents. (no i do not eat in my car, and I keep it clean as I can) when I wiped it away it stained my finger yellow until I washed it off.

I called my dealer about it and they said it was AC dye, and could be a leaking condenser. My question is, how did this stuff get past the cabin filter!?

I ran my AC on full all the way home from work, alternating the vents, foot, head, defrost, re-circulation on/off. I could not reproduce the strange yellow residue, though some condensation did blow out of the driver vent closest to the door. Speaking of which, are these vents greased? There is a lot of what looks like clear silicone grease in all the fittings of that vent near the driver door....

Lastly, since purchase of the car in May, one of the pulleys under the hood occasionally squeaks at startup from cold. This has only happened about 3 times in the 2 months I have had the car, but it is in the same area of the engine compartment as the AC compressor, so I peeped down inside there with a flashlight. On the driveshaft coming off the engine on the passenger side, I saw yellow dots, same color as the stuff i found on the vents. (btw i looked down all the vents and there is no further trace of the stuff)

Please post your thoughts and what I should do next.

-Patrick

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Definitely compressor oil. That can't possibly be anything else and your compressor will likely seize very soon. The dealer should fix it.

Edit: The AC system is under a lot of pressure, the oil likely atomized and got sucked into the outside air going to the cabin.
You should pull the cabin air filter to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely compressor oil. That can't possibly be anything else and your compressor will likely seize very soon. The dealer should fix it.

Edit: The AC system is under a lot of pressure, the oil likely atomized and got sucked into the outside air going to the cabin.
You should pull the cabin air filter to be sure.

Called Ford, they will be taking a look at it on thursday.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Called Ford, they will be taking a look at it on thursday.

Thanks for the reply
I had a leak I caused myself at the flange on the compressor and just got a bill for $430. Good luck, I hope you are covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a leak I caused myself at the flange on the compressor and just got a bill for $430. Good luck, I hope you are covered under warranty.

Car is 2 months old and besides putting mud flaps on it, it has nothing done to it. So I should be okay.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ford will still do their best to charge you, cause well....Ford.
Good luck!
I am not being filled with the best of confidence here.... The car has 1400 miles on it, are you guys telling me Ford does not stand behind their own product?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Na, you should be ok

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Na, you should be ok

*exhale* thank you.

Heh... good thing I didnt install my Cat Back yet, i dont see how they would be linked. But you never know... car manufacturers will do anything to save money. (btw, my dealer installs cat-backs, they are going to do the work when I do and they claim they will warranty everything as long as I buy the cat back from them and have them install it.

If you think adding a cat back is a bad idea this early in ownership, let me know, and I will hold off before spending any money.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its depending on the dealer really. All in all you'll be just fine.
My dealer is really friendly with mods. They say I should be fine, I just dont know whether or not to take their word on it. But the consensus seems to be if they buy the part for me, and they install it, I am golden. And its gonna cost me almost double the price of a muffler shop install or diy.. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Find a good [insert brand here] dealer and you will always be looked after. Ford is no different.

There must be 15 Ford dealers in Sydney but there is only one I'd trust to touch my ST and a second one at a stretch. Find a service department that knows the car well, be charming to the service manager (and mechanics?) and you will have a positive experience. They want you to have a positive experience as much as you want to have one.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Find a good [insert brand here] dealer and you will always be looked after. Ford is no different.

There must be 15 Ford dealers in Sydney but there is only one I'd trust to touch my ST and a second one at a stretch. Find a service department that knows the car well, be charming to the service manager (and mechanics?) and you will have a positive experience. They want you to have a positive experience as much as you want to have one.
The guys at Vista Ford where I bought the car tune ST's and call them VFR editions (Vista Ford Racing) they put a ford tune on the engine, borla exhaust, new wheels, and a custom vinyl race-inspired wrap. They know the ST very well and the Service adviser I deal with daily drives a heavily modified ST Focus. On the contrary, the dealer here in town says he wouldnt touch a modded car in any way with a 40 ft pole, and to keep my "modified thing" out of his dealership unless I want an oil change "if you mod it, do not come to me for warranty service, I work with stock cars only so we can easily diagnose problems, if you mod it, we have to do a lot more work, and I dont have time for that" .. so I completely get what you are saying, Vista Ford has a completely different outlook than my local Ford dealer (who doesnt want anything to do with it).

Personally, the guys at Vista tune so many ST's, their lot and showroom are littered with pre-tuned cars, they are EVERYWHERE. and the best part is, everything is under Ford warranty. How do you beat that?!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update! I took the car in to the dealer last week, and the guys at Vista Ford Lincoln of Oxnard where I bought the car were super nice! They even took me into the shop and gave me some safety goggles to watch the car go up on the lift and showed me how it all comes apart.

First thing we checked was the compressor.... the yellow stuff I saw on the axle wasnt comp oil, it was the beginning of rust, it is where the runoff for the AC ends up and they tend to rust quick according to the tech. So we take the fill bolt off the compressor and low and behold..... its full to the brim with oil... not an ounce missing......

So then they give me a special pair of glasses that can see the dye in the AC refrigerant and they start shining a black light all over the engine compartment, around the lines, we dropped the car down, looked in the vents, under the hood near the fill valve..... no dye..... there were zero leaks on this car. Which begs the question...what was the mysterious yellow stuff and where did it come from.... well.... I dont like to think that someone might have broken into my car...however..... there was a slightly yellow smudge on the driver door handle when I cam back to the car from my lunch the day I noticed the stuff on the vents... it looked like flower pollen ...so i wiped it away and forgot about it..... but... how could someone get into the car if it was locked? is it possible to pick the valet key slot even though the key is laser cut?

This really is beginning to freak me out... I wont be parking behind the movie theater anymore when I go to the plaza to get lunch.... I will take the risk of a ding and park it where people can see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts