Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about a month or so ago i noticed a very strange whining noise when accelerating... Looking at my gauges on my cobb ap and the stock boost gauge all looks normal. It's holding boost, and still feels just as fast as before the noise started. The noise almost sounds like a supercharger whine and only happens when boosting. A couple days ago I took it to my local Ford dealer and they told me i need to replace the turbo... The guy I worked with didn't give me any details, just told me i needed a new turbo...

After that i tried to search around for videos online that sound like what i am hearing but i cannot find anything that matches.. When i have time this coming up weekend i will try to post a video.

Could this be a boost leak? or something else? A friend of mine said when he had his 2g eclipse, he had similar issue and found that the wastegate actuator rod was bent.

Before I spend over $1,500.00 for getting a new turbo put on, i really would love some input from other ST owners! Hopefully someone has experienced the same issue as me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Few things that I would do first since the dealer wouldn't tell you anything:

Run a boost leak test. If there's a leak, it can probably be fixed via a vacuum line, a seal, replacing a bov, etc.
Check your oil for any metal particles. If there's any metal shavings you might have shaft play. If there's any particles you might want to disconnect the intake and wiggle the turbo impellar and see if there's any up/down or in/out play. It could be a bearing in the turbo going bad.

Generally, a supercharger sound from a turbo means the turbo is on it's way out, but it could definitely be something else. If a boost leak test shows there's no leak, I'd start to get worried at that point.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Everything @xJohnn just said for your preliminaries.

Follow up on replacing the turbo, the only thing you should spend $1,500 is a used larger turbo.
If you're going to replace it with a factory K03 then look for a lightly used one in the groups as they go for about $200.
If you do decide you want something new that will perform better but still feel close to stock, the GTX 2867R Gen 2 is a great turbo.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured if i had a boost leak i wouldn't be getting max boost pressure or i would notice a performance issue... I'm going to take my focus somewhere else to get a second opinion and get a boost leak test done. If the turbo is bad I still havent made up my mind on getting a big turbo or putting another k03 on it...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I figured if i had a boost leak i wouldn't be getting max boost pressure or i would notice a performance issue... I'm going to take my focus somewhere else to get a second opinion and get a boost leak test done. If the turbo is bad I still havent made up my mind on getting a big turbo or putting another k03 on it...
If it's a small leak it'll normally be significant enough to hear it but not necessarily enough to affect performance. I definitely wouldn't rule it out before doing a test. I'd kick myself in the ass if I bought a new turbo and later found out it was just a leak. Getting a second opinion is a good idea. There's always the possibility that the dealer is trying to play you, especially if they won't explain their findings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before my turbo went out on my ST it whistled very loud and boost was fine. Over a few months boost crept down and I did boost leak tests but kept showing nothing. Eventually the turbo just wasn't pushing anything but the whistle just got louder and louder as the turbine got worse

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope it's something small like a boost leak.. I've been driving it around with this whistle noise for over a month (close to 2 months) and it doesn't seem to be getting louder or changing at all (I drive about 1hr 30min every day). The whistle/whining noise is not very loud and seems to be coming from driver side of the engine by the intake filter area.
Once i get a result from somewhere else i will let you all know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a video with the windows up. Its kind of hard to hear but if you look at the boost gauge when it moves you can hear it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just in case anyone else experiences the same issue as me, it ended up being the bov... I had a turbosmart 100% recirculating plumb back on it for almost 2 years, after installing the stock bov everything is fine.
Good thing i didnt pay $1,500 to Ford for a new turbo.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So just in case anyone else experiences the same issue as me, it ended up being the bov... I had a turbosmart 100% recirculating plumb back on it for almost 2 years, after installing the stock bov everything is fine.
Glad we were able to help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for restarting a solved post but i have a similar noise coming from my ST with a stock bpv, and just to clarify, you fixed it by replacing the stock with an aftermarket? Or the other way around?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Sorry for restarting a solved post but i have a similar noise coming from my ST with a stock bpv, and just to clarify, you fixed it by replacing the stock with an aftermarket? Or the other way around?
I would start by pulling the BPV out and inspecting it. There should be plenty of videos on Youtube that will show you the process. The rubber diaphragm inside the BPV has a tendency to crack/tear. If you find that is the case, I would strongly recommend the Mountune uprated BPV. I had one installed when I was still on the stock K03 and thought it was fantastic. It's all aluminum so it should far outlive the OEM rubber diaphragm design.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
He had an aftermarket one installed, from how it sounds, incorrectly. When he put the factory one back in his problems went away.
The factory one is pretty cheap and flimsy. Basically anything else will be better for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I just took out the stock bpv and checked it. It looked fine, no tears or cracks in the rubber so I’ll just go on and try to see what else could be causing it. Is it possible for the rubber to have a bad seal even if there are no obvious cracks?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Personally I would just would just pull the intake tube and wiggle the shaft instead of draining the oil and checking for flakes, although having neither of those apparent doesn't mean your turbo still isn't bad. It could also be a pulley, or a differential bearing in your transmission which is why you hear it only under what your perceive as boost doing it but its just when you put a load on the vehicle...its honestly hard to diagnose without hearing it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You know the reason why he didn't elaborate on it being the BOV and instead said its the turbo. Because Ford from what I understand does not sell the Borg Warner turbo and factory bov separate, its a whole unit, if one goes bad even if its only the bov seal or diaphragm Ford requires replacement of the whole turbo. SO OF COURSE they aren't going to say well its not the turbo its only your BOV valve so if you just go replace that all will be fixed, they don't want you fixing your own vehicle and they also WANT you to spend all your hard earned money paying for things you don't need....Asswholes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bad if I’m starting this again but I had the same issue and that exact sound recently. I currently have a hks blow off valve which comes off a pipe that connects to the inter cooler and throttle body, and the original stock bov location is sealed up by a by pass which is seen on the 3rd pic. The sound wasn’t that so I decided to take out the turbo and the turbo wheels was completely destroyed

Tool Machine Tool accessory Engineering Metalworking hand tool

1 - 20 of 22 Posts