Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, first off I did search the forum and the internet but could not find an exact match to my issue. I'm on my second ST which I got back in March of this year. A couple of months in I started noticing a shudder/vibration through the car between 80-90km/h, never above or below this speed. I checked the usual things, tire pressure, excessive play in the wheel bearings, etc. Everything seems normal, handling is tight and there are no noises coming from anywhere in the front or rear end. When I put on my winters it still does the same thing so that kind of eliminates the rims or tires being the cause. Lastly, its totally random, inconsistent, follows no pattern and doesn't seem to be linked to temperature, duration of driving, etc. It just comes and goes whenever it wants, more annoying than anything else but any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
From what your describing, It sounds to me like an alignment issue. It would still have it with either set of wheels and usually only viberates at certain speeds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello folks, first off I did search the forum and the internet but could not find an exact match to my issue. I'm on my second ST which I got back in March of this year. A couple of months in I started noticing a shudder/vibration through the car between 80-90km/h, never above or below this speed. I checked the usual things, tire pressure, excessive play in the wheel bearings, etc. Everything seems normal, handling is tight and there are no noises coming from anywhere in the front or rear end. When I put on my winters it still does the same thing so that kind of eliminates the rims or tires being the cause. Lastly, its totally random, inconsistent, follows no pattern and doesn't seem to be linked to temperature, duration of driving, etc. It just comes and goes whenever it wants, more annoying than anything else but any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
How many miles on your car? Does it happen on acceleration or cruise?

·
Registered
42 Posts
might be a tire balancing issue. Try getting them balanced or rotate your front tires to the rear and see if it helps. Tire may be out of round as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Car has 8500km and when it happens its under all conditions, acceleration, deceleration and cruising.
Sounds like tires out of balance to me as well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Cheapest option first, go get your tires balanced. Should be like $10-20 bucks unless it's cheaper where I live than anywhere else lol. See if that fixes it. (It sounds like it won't...but it's cheap.)

If that doesn't fix it, and the mechanic finds nothing odd when balancing them he can point out for you, get an alignment done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vibration seems to be in the pedal area. I have brand new winter tires and rims that were balanced before being mounted and the car has the vibration with my summers as well. Is it possible for the alignment to be out enough to cause vibration but not show any other symptom such as pulling or steering wheel being off center?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The vibration seems to be in the pedal area. I have brand new winter tires and rims that were balanced before being mounted and the car has the vibration with my summers as well. Is it possible for the alignment to be out enough to cause vibration but not show any other symptom such as pulling or steering wheel being off center?
You could be out of alignment and still have a straight steering wheel and no pulling of one side or the other. That being said, I've never heard of alignment causing a vibration, it usually just causes weird tire wear. Another thing to check would be to see if some foreign object has gotten wrapped around one of the axles like a plastic bag.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You could be out of alignment and still have a straight steering wheel and no pulling of one side or the other. Besides, I've never heard of alignment causing a vibration. Another thing to check would be to see if some foreign object has gotten wrapped around one of the axles like a plastic bag.
Yeah being out of alignment just means one of your wheels at least isn't lined up properly. If both front wheels were slightly pointed in towards each other...it would cause problems but it wouldn't pull right or left or move your steering wheel. That would be an example of out of alignment without showing those signs. We should all technically get our alignment checked semi-regularly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could be out of alignment and still have a straight steering wheel and no pulling of one side or the other. That being said, I've never heard of alignment causing a vibration, it usually just causes weird tire wear. Another thing to check would be to see if some foreign object has gotten wrapped around one of the axles like a plastic bag.
I've never heard of alignment causing vibration either, I'll definitely check for something caught in the axles. Do you think a bad tie rod end/ball joint or something else in the suspension could cause an intermittent vibration?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you had a bad tie rod end you'd probably be able to feel it through the steering wheel when you hit a bump. Same thing with a ball joint. I've seen bad CV joints cause a vibration through the car. It's very difficult to find something like this when it's intermittent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you had a bad tie rod end you'd probably be able to feel it through the steering wheel when you hit a bump. Same thing with a ball joint. I've seen bad CV joints cause a vibration through the car. It's very difficult to find something like this when it's intermittent.
True, I may have to just live with it, I'll let the Stealership take a look when I go for my first service. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a classic symptom of wheel/tire being out of balance. The vibrations from wheel balance is almost always in the 45-60 mph range. If you have the wheels without a lip on the outside, then you'll have the balance tape weights on the inside of the wheel which isn't as precise as using weights on the outer lip. Even wheels that only need 10oz weight will have these vibrations. This is absolutely the first place to start BC it's simple. KISS method

·
Registered
42 Posts
it still sounds to me that the tires are out of round. you can check this by rubbing your hand over the tread of the tires and check for lumps or divots. it is a small probability that the CV joints are out of balance too, but unlikely. From my experience tie rods/ball joints don't really cause a vibration, but they will cause uneven wear on the tires (bad alignment) and noises.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because its intermittent and because it does it with the original rims/tires and my brand new winter rims/tires I'm thinking its something else but I'll check for out of round tire and see about getting a another balancing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
between 80-90km/h, never above or below this speed.
Lastly, its totally random, inconsistent, follows no pattern and doesn't seem to be linked to temperature, duration of driving, etc. It just comes and goes whenever it wants, more annoying than anything else but any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
This is conflicting. Between 80-90 is not random at all, but you say it comes and goes as it wants. Can you elaborate on this?

It does sound like your out of balance, but you just changed to your winters, so they would (should) have been balanced unless the shop is garbage.

Vibrations at specific speeds are because of rotational imbalances due to a lumped mass somewhere on the rotating body. These imbalances cause natural frequencies which exhibit resonance (large vibrations) at those frequencies. In this case, you have a rotational natural frequency occurring between 80-90 and the resonance is what your feeling. In the case of wheels and tires, those strip weights are added as lumped masses to correct for an existing lumped mass from manufacturing defects, TPMS, whatever. Again, unless that shop is trash, they should have done that part correctly. Wheels are also balanced off the car, so if they are balanced correctly and you still have that resonance, definitely start examining other things on your car, specifically things that rotate. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking your tires might all be bad. Again, they're balanced off the car and the machine may read out that they're balanced perfectly fine, but because that machine doesn't contact the tire's road bearing surface, if you're tires are cupped or otherwise out of round, it's still possible that they can exhibit resonance as you've seen. If that's the case, it's an alignment issue and you probably need to replace tie rods, ball joints, or something like that, and since your tires would be cupped, there wouldn't be any way to fix that and that would suck real hard because all 8 of them would be bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts