Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it normally cost to straight pipe a FoST?
What do I need to buy?
What do I need to do first before I straight pipe to get the best out of my car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Exhaust really doesn't do much on the fost. If you want sound then I guess but that's it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
he really didn't ask how much performance could be got, apparently he just wants a really loud and annoying car...

as far as price, that depends, there are two ways to go about this. Frankenstein is the cheapest, cut out the resonator and replace with a sections of straight pipe, then cut off the muffler and have them bend an adapter out of pipe to get the tip in the right place. or full replacement, have a shop bend a full pipe (or maybe two sections) to go front the front all the way to the back.

with full replacement, you have a choice of what sized pipe you go with.

as far as the price, you will need to call around to different exhaust shops in YOUR area and see what they are charging. in my area, I can get a Frankenstein from anywhere from $100-$200 at a shop, or a case of Stones an a few feet of pipe from a friend.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have questions?

1: Why?
2: Why?
3: Why?
4: Why?
5: Why?
6: Why?

Our cars sound terrible straight piped.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have questions?

1: Why?
2: Why?
3: Why?
4: Why?
5: Why?
6: Why?

Our cars sound terrible straight piped.
This so much.

sell the car if you are thinking about straightpiping it.

Reactions: chronos

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm pretty sure you guys aren't paying his car note so let him be. Personally I did a resonator delete and a catless downpipe and it sounds great to me. Not to loud because the muffler helps tone it down

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm pretty sure you guys aren't paying his car note so let him be. Personally I did a resonator delete and a catless downpipe and it sounds great to me. Not to loud because the muffler helps tone it down

Let me change my reply to answer one of OP's questions.

"What do I need to buy?" A different car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Straight pipping with no resinator has sooooo much drone. I have in injen catback and i have lots of drone. Sounds good at full throttle. Im still debating on getting a downpipe. Just cuz idk if im gona like the louder drone. But i like the turbo wistle that you only hear with no cat.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Straight pipping with no resinator has sooooo much drone. I have in injen catback and i have lots of drone. Sounds good at full throttle. Im still debating on getting a downpipe. Just cuz idk if im gona like the louder drone. But i like the turbo wistle that you only hear with no cat.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I don’t mind the drone honestly. My friend’s car doesn’t anyways.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I want LOUD lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wow most of y'all are ****s, please find your way out of owning an ST. We need less of you judgmental ****s.

To actually answer the OPs question. It depends on what you replace the exhaust with, are you just going to do muffler and resonator deletes? If so I would saw $100 - $250 would be expected, depends on the shop. If you get a replacement made by a muffler shop that will vary even more, have heard of people spending as little as $150 but I have also heard $800 so it depends. Also going catless changes the sound, and going to a full 3 inch exhaust will make it louder than doing the muffler and resonator deletes.

I am straight pipe and love the sound. It is pretty nice, but does drone when at certain speeds and rpm. If you want loud, then you will get it. Have fun with it though.

Reactions: lvrbn94

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There's a six-cylinder mustang running around these part; teen driver, with a straight-piped exhaust. I saw him recently at the local grocery store as he was starting it up. His window was open and I was a couple cars away so I yelled "Hey is that straight-pipe?" He says "Yeah, but I'm tired of it and I'm putting a muffler on it when I get the money." So, my thought is everyone thinks they want it that loud until they have to live with it. Then they realize the downsides; It wakes the neighbors and they hate you. You can't accelerate hard without worrying about any nearby cops. There's terrrrible drone at most cruising speeds. When you get married and have kids, starting the car in the morning wakes the baby, not to mention the dead, and your wife hates you for it. And just when you think you can live with it and everything is cool, you and your wife/girlfriend are getting ready for a date and she says "Honey, can we take my car tonight?" and you realize she hates your car. This is when you decide 1) This is how I roll! Screw them all! or 2) I'm sick of it too. I'm going to joe's muffler tomorrow to get it slightly muffled.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow most of y'all are ****s, please find your way out of owning an ST. We need less of you judgmental ****s.

Yaahh,,, No.

These are the Laws in OP's state:

State of Illinois said:
SUBPART B: OPERATIONAL STANDARDS

Section 902.120 Standards Applicable to all Passenger Cars and to Other Motor Vehicles with GVW of 8,000 Pounds or Less

a) This rule shall apply to all passenger cars regardless of weight and to other motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except motorcycles and motor driven cycles.

b) No person shall operate or cause or allow the operation of a motor vehicle subject to this rule at any time under any conditions of highway grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the following limits:

1) On highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less, 74 dB(A), or 76 dB(A) when operating on a grade exceeding 3%, measured with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel, or an equivalent sound level limit measured in accordance with procedures established under 35 Ill. Adm. Code 900.103;

2) On highways with speed limits of more than 35 miles per hour, 82 dB(A), or 85 dB(A) if the vehicle is equipped with two or more snow or mud/snow tires, measured with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel, or an equivalent sound level limit measured in accordance with procedures established under 35 Ill. Adm. Code 900.103.
Different states have different rules, but it is generally a good idea to help some one not build a felony vehicle.

I'm all for opening up the exhaust, but as @RoachRage put it so elegantly, straight piping makes you the person everyone hates.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yaahh,,, No.

These are the Laws in OP's state:

Different states have different rules, but it is generally a good idea to help some one not build a felony vehicle.

I'm all for opening up the exhaust, but as @RoachRage put it so elegantly, straight piping makes you the person everyone hates.
I personally hate exhausts that are "too" loud. But in "my" opinion, my car doesn't fall into that category. Ask my neighbors, and you might get a different answer. I'm pretty sure my car is over the legal limit slightly. BUT, I'm POSITIVE a loud exhaust ticket doesn't constitute a felony charge in Ohio. And I seriously doubt even California is that ridiculous, ........yet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
@Lorded Well seeing as I have actually designed exhausts for cars, those laws are actually really easy to meet, especially because you measure 50 feet away from the vehicle. These cars are actually pretty ****ing quiet when you are in the correct gear to cruise in. The only time these cars are loud is during accel.

And you think I care if people don't like my exhaust? That is funny, I don't give a **** if people hate what I do to my car, if you don't like it you can **** off. But you think your opinion of loud cars is the de facto opinion for every person, and you can't be further from the truth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there, I fixed that for you.
Like he wrote ^.

Straight pipe is retarded and such a ricer thing that it is bonkers that people think it's kool. Clearly the OP wants to be kool. Let him be an idiot and straight pipe it. Let him also figure out how to ruin the car and his persona anywhere he goes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts