Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around for some track-worthy wheels got me to wondering about the load rating of the stock snowflake style wheels as compared to aftermarket options. Anyone know what the stockers have for load rating?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If your looking at track-worthy wheels, the stock load rating on the snowflakes wont be anywhere near close to the strength of track'able wheels. Although I am not sure that there is a published load rating on the snowflakes or not, I dont see them being very high considering the number of people I know around here with bent wheels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your looking at track-worthy wheels, the stock load rating on the snowflakes wont be anywhere near close to the strength of track'able wheels. Although I am not sure that there is a published load rating on the snowflakes or not, I dont see them being very high considering the number of people I know around here with bent wheels.
Well, I dunno; I have track run both the snowflakes and the matte black Ford Racing 5 spokers at Road America and Milwaukee mile, both places have long duration high load turns, and mine have held up okay thus far, so I was thinking more like I'd like similar load capacity but with a BUNCH less weight than those Ford wheels. Hope somebody can inform on this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I dunno; I have track run both the snowflakes and the matte black Ford Racing 5 spokers at Road America and Milwaukee mile, both places have long duration high load turns, and mine have held up okay thus far, so I was thinking more like I'd like similar load capacity but with a BUNCH less weight than those Ford wheels. Hope somebody can inform on this.
Look for anything that is TUV rated. That is essentially the highest quality rating that you can get. Most/all OEM wheels have to be TUV rated in order to be sold in Germany, so if they are sold there, they are fine. Not to say that they cannot be lighter, which they certainly can be, but at a cost which is why the OEM wheels are 26lbs each.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for anything that is TUV rated. That is essentially the highest quality rating that you can get. Most/all OEM wheels have to be TUV rated in order to be sold in Germany, so if they are sold there, they are fine. Not to say that they cannot be lighter, which they certainly can be, but at a cost which is why the OEM wheels are 26lbs each.
Okay, I've been reading a bit about TUV rating requirements, and I agree that would be a good standard to follow. Still wish I could find an actual number for stock wheels, though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okay, I've been reading a bit about TUV rating requirements, and I agree that would be a good standard to follow. Still wish I could find an actual number for stock wheels, though.
Maybe contact that guy on YouTube that crushes everything with a hydraulic press? Give him a wheel and see what it takes ahha. I don't think Ford would really want to give that info out. Typically OE's like to keep technical data close to the vest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts