Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some spirited driving on some backroads this past weekend - windows down and music off.
I heard the most beautiful turbo flutter on a stock turbo setup. I have never been so giddy before while driving this car - it made me smile so wide! Lol

I’m hoping this is a normal occurrence with the stock turbo setup. I have a drop in K&N filter and I’m stage 2 flash tuned from stratified with a CPE fmic.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my excitement and share the experience. Has anyone else had this happen before ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine does it sometimes. I read it is not compressor surge so is not harmful. I have a GFB DV+ diverter valve I need to install. I have seen vids and it makes awesome noises when plumbed to true vacuum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's common with the right setup. Used to happen to me all the time. The thing that stops flutter is the BOV blowing off all the pressure before it happens. Get one that blows off at like 2 or 3 psi instead of like -5 and you'll get it alot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's common with the right setup. Used to happen to me all the time. The thing that stops flutter is the BOV blowing off all the pressure before it happens. Get one that blows off at like 2 or 3 psi instead of like -5 and you'll get it alot.
Any specific one you recommend ?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
With a cpe intake and exhale kit w/ hks bov I get all the flutter. It's a beautiful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DuvalST

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
What’s the difference between the Diverter valve and a traditional bow off valve.
GFB DV+ vs DVX
The DV+ is a diverter (bypass) valve and operates just like the factory valve by recirculating the vented pressure back to the intake side of the turbo which helps it to keep spooled up, and also is quiet since it does not vent to atmosphere. The DVX is a traditional blow off valve that is noisy because it vents to atmosphere, but does not have the benefit of helping the turbo retain pressure.

Reactions: DuvalST

·
Registered
379 Posts
The DVX can be both, it is adjustable with a lever, can be from full recirculating(quiet) to full vent(loud).

Reactions: DuvalST and ddfred

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The DV+ is a diverter (bypass) valve and operates just like the factory valve by recirculating the vented pressure back to the intake side of the turbo which helps it to keep spooled up, and also is quiet since it does not vent to atmosphere. The DVX is a traditional blow off valve that is noisy because it vents to atmosphere, but does not have the benefit of helping the turbo retain pressure.
The DV+ will be my choice then for sure. There are a few videos on youtube that show how it may sound.

Should i expect noises like this from the DV+ ?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
The DV+ will be my choice then for sure. There are a few videos on youtube that show how it may sound.

If you have an open top air box, yes, it will sound like that. If you have the factory air box with the top on then you will not hear much. Notice that the loudest sounds were recorded when the camera was on the driver's side fender right near the air intake.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I think getting a stiffer spring BOV like a tial is a better option. I guess it depends on what sound you want to hear but in my opinion you get a good combo of both with something like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
I think getting a stiffer spring BOV like a tial is a better option. I guess it depends on what sound you want to hear but in my opinion you get a good combo of both with something like that.
Then you also have to come up with a mounting solution; GFB mounts in the factory location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts