Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 focus ST3. Cobb intake, Cobb ap, AXE CS-LITE 18R.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. Knowing that oil temp and oil pressure are calculated. Isn't it also possible to buy said sensors, and waited them up to the gauges? Regardless of how it's calculated should the needle springs be set or programed to go to the temp it's told, like from the calculations or even a temp sensor? Same for oil pressure?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,878 Posts
There have been people that make interfaces and little hacks for those gauges, but for the most part they are a feel good item slapped on by the marketing department at Ford.

If you have an AP then the information that you can monitor is considerably more accurate . The additional gauges aren't accurate and shouldn't be trusted.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
564 Posts
So. Knowing that oil temp and oil pressure are calculated. Isn't it also possible to buy said sensors, and waited them up to the gauges? Regardless of how it's calculated should the needle springs be set or programed to go to the temp it's told, like from the calculations or even a temp sensor? Same for oil pressure?
There are a couple different options for gauge pods that mount in center factory location, that allow you to adapt 52/62mm gauges with sensors. For the center pod replacement: Block8head, OrtizPods, Veloce Ventus to name a few.

I have marched down this route, it will get pricey. I will have a Innovate Dual Oil Temp/Pressure Gauge, Snow WMI Controller, and an Innovate ECF-1(FUEL) 4n1 fuel temp/pressure/ECA/AFR in a ventus Veloce. Also, you'll need to consider where you are locating these sensors inline with each system. For example, the oil temp/pressure will need a sandwich plate with 1/8 npt ports.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aftermarket wise I have a decent idea of what I'm wanting to install. Granted I kinda wanted to keep the stock tri gauge, and hook it up to actual sensors, and lastly go with a pillar dual mount. Just wasn't entirely sure if it was possible to add the actual sensor per gauge and wire them in to make them 100% accurate compared to being a calculated value.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,878 Posts
Those individual gauges are "in network", this means that you aren't getting a signal for oil temp, boost, oil pressure. The PCM is sending this information over common communication wires on the CAN BUS.

Stand alone gauges & sensors would be the most accurate but also the most expensive. I completely understand what you're dealing with. It's definitely a 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag scenario.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those individual gauges are "in network", this means that you aren't getting a signal for oil temp, boost, oil pressure. The PCM is sending this information over common communication wires on the CAN BUS.

Stand alone gauges & sensors would be the most accurate but also the most expensive. I completely understand what you're dealing with. It's definitely a 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag scenario.
Yup. Thusly why I was curious if we can't just get the appropriate sensors and redo the gauges to be mechanically(sensor) fed information instead of electronic(PCM)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts