Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states my stock muffler is rattling. I really only hear it when the AC is on or if it engine is under a small load like reversing and whatnot. I've checked the heat shields, all the brackets on my DP (which I should state is when I really noticed this issue) but everything seems fine. I did however find out you can replicate the sound even with the engine off if you lightly kick at the exhaust tip. It literally sounds like someone threw a bunch of rocks in the muffler. Has anyone had this issue or knows of a way to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
As the title states my stock muffler is rattling. I really only hear it when the AC is on or if it engine is under a small load like reversing and whatnot. I've checked the heat shields, all the brackets on my DP (which I should state is when I really noticed this issue) but everything seems fine. I did however find out you can replicate the sound even with the engine off if you lightly kick at the exhaust tip. It literally sounds like someone threw a bunch of rocks in the muffler. Has anyone had this issue or knows of a way to fix it?
The last bend right before the tips where the exhaust goes through the suspension bits, is that hitting? A quick flashlight check under the car and you'll see if it's hitting. It makes a noise for me under very rare instances where I bog the motor a little. That's a common place for rattles and other than the downpipe, it's the only place that does usually. If you don't have the Cobb hangers, I'd try those. The stock ones eventually start dying from the weight of the exhaust since they aren't nearly hard enough.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be the catalytic converter? Happened to my old car. It was broken so it would rattle.
I don't think so because I run a catless downpipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.