Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say Ford engineers must have been drunk when they choosed the intercooler for this car, specially adding the shutters in front of it. I paid $176 Shipped for this new intercooler, elbows, joiners and a little drilling. Its the best modification you can do to this car, it pulls hard each time you press the gas pedal, not like with the old intercooler that you start the car pulling back due to the heat soak.

It only took 2 pulls using the stock intercooler with the shutters forced open to know that 155-165F temps are not going to cut it............. After I installed the intercooler I made different pulls soft and hard and never passed 95F on the intercooler outlet, the car felt much better and I didn't had Knock retard like before.

No matter what modification you do, pushing over 120F forced air into the engine is BAD for performance,(the stock intercooler is 150F +) very bad specially if you are tuned, my first modification was a filter then a Unleashed 93 tune, the tune worked great on low and midrange, but my car started to retard like crazy at high RPMs and the power wasn't there like with the stock tune, with the stock tune the car power on low/mid RPMs was MEHHH "bad" but in high rpms I felt more pull than with the Unleashed tune............... The problem is not the tune, the problem is the crappy intercooler, with the tune my knock sensor were retarding -4.50 and -6.00 almost on every pull, so I stopped "racing" until my new intercooler got here............NOW with the Unleashed Tune 93 Octane and new intercooler , the car only retards -1.50 on one cylinder if any.

Attached is a datalog for the RPM and Intercooler output temp. Ambient temp for both test were on the 82F................ A new intercooler will not give extra crazy HP, but it will keep the HP you have from going away :D.............. the more pulls I did the cooler the charge temps :D

Untitled-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
You have to remember car manufacturers cut corners to save money. I did this same mod a while back. I could still heatsoak my diy. So I upgraded again.

Sent from another galaxy.
Im assuming you have the CPE? There looks to be much more R&D done by the looks of the CPE vs cxr/ebay intercoolers, not suprising. Whose core does the CPE use? Precision,Garrett???

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Im assuming you have the CPE? There looks to be much more R&D done by the looks of the CPE vs cxr/ebay intercoolers, not suprising. Whose core does the CPE use? Precision,Garrett???
I'm not sure what core. Might be in house. I've never been told nor have I asked.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I must say Ford engineers must have been drunk when they choosed the intercooler for this car, specially adding the shutters in front of it. I paid $176 Shipped for this new intercooler, elbows, joiners and a little drilling. Its the best modification you can do to this car, it pulls hard each time you press the gas pedal, not like with the old intercooler that you start the car pulling back due to the heat soak.

It only took 2 pulls using the stock intercooler with the shutters forced open to know that 155-165F temps are not going to cut it............. After I installed the intercooler I made different pulls soft and hard and never passed 95F on the intercooler outlet, the car felt much better and I didn't had Knock retard like before.

No matter what modification you do, pushing over 120F forced air into the engine is BAD for performance,(the stock intercooler is 150F +) very bad specially if you are tuned, my first modification was a filter then a Unleashed 93 tune, the tune worked great on low and midrange, but my car started to retard like crazy at high RPMs and the power wasn't there like with the stock tune, with the stock tune the car power on low/mid RPMs was MEHHH "bad" but in high rpms I felt more pull than with the Unleashed tune............... The problem is not the tune, the problem is the crappy intercooler, with the tune my knock sensor were retarding -4.50 and -6.00 almost on every pull, so I stopped "racing" until my new intercooler got here............NOW with the Unleashed Tune 93 Octane and new intercooler , the car only retards -1.50 on one cylinder if any.

Attached is a datalog for the RPM and Intercooler output temp. Ambient temp for both test were on the 82F................ A new intercooler will not give extra crazy HP, but it will keep the HP you have from going away :D.............. the more pulls I did the cooler the charge temps :D

View attachment 266538
Yep totally agree, the Mountune intercooler I have does a fantastic job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to remember car manufacturers cut corners to save money. I did this same mod a while back. I could still heatsoak my diy. So I upgraded again.

They did a great job with car but when decided on the intercooler ,they were drunk lol. even the srt-4 with less psi from factory had better intercooler lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is a laughable difference in charge temps. Nice logs showing the facts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts