Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did a similar test with a Steeda aftermarket intercooler and found that there was negligible change with the lid on or off.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you have a stock intercooler, keep the lid on, but if you have an aftermarket intercooler, do what you please. I saw little to no difference in seat of the pants power or other parameters on my AP.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I did a similar test with a Steeda aftermarket intercooler and found that there was negligible change with the lid on or off.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you have a stock intercooler, keep the lid on, but if you have an aftermarket intercooler, do what you please. I saw little to no difference in seat of the pants power or other parameters on my AP.
Yeah the stock intercooler really sucks, I have done many datalogs this past few days, and I can't floor it on 3rd or 4th gear over and over without having the intercooler temp rise over 79F degrees over intake temps. The first mandatory upgrade on this car has to be a better intercooler, before any filter or tune, over 10psi on this intercooler doesn't work and this car puts double that from stock. Even an SRT-4 pushes less PSI from factory and has a better stock intercooler. :(

My past car was a 1998 Neon R/T with a built 2.0L engine and a SRT-4 turbocharger and I modified the crappy intercooler to make it more efficient and intake temps never got 2-5 degree higher than ambient under boost or crusing.
Here is a test I did on that intercooler with my thermal camera. It was a cheap intercooler but modified to use 100% of the cooling fins, not 60-70% with the old design.

Stock design, uses 60-70% of the fins
11695877_10152863203721326_4664375006294568704_n.jpg

After modification (blocked left side)
10365_10153153518801326_5493696582740951796_n.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got a 2014 ST about a week ago, coming from owning other turbo cars, I have been trying to get more of the BOV sound out of my ST, I read about the green filter and removing the top lid of the intake....... Since I had aftermarket filters laying around, I put one on my car and took the lid off. I noticed that after long drives the car lost power. I haven't datalog the temperature readings while driving, but I did a test at idle.

Test was like this:

Warm car for 15min with A/C ON and open windows (keep the compressor and fans working) before datalogging.
All the tests were with the hood 100% closed and it took about 6 seconds to open the hood, put or remove the cover and closed back.
test lasted 12min, every 3min I put or removed the top lid cover as fast as I could.

It was interesting seen how quickly the temps went down or up once I changed the top lid.

GREEN line is the post intercooler temp, I put it there just in case, the PURPLE line is the RPM, and the BLUE line is the Intake (filter) Temp.

I myself got a twisted motion BOV adapter so I now have the BOV sound I wanted and after doing this test, I will be putting back the top lid of the intake until I make my own insulated CAI or raise a wall between the filter and engine :D

View attachment 262921
View attachment 262929
This is an old post. But my intake air temps are reading 80-86 on a 80°f weather doing 75mph for 45 minutes I'm completely stock other then green filter open lid. Not sure if this are normal temps also my radiator temps or say the coolant temps are no higher then 200°.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
This is an old post. But my intake air temps are reading 80-86 on a 80°f weather doing 75mph for 45 minutes I'm completely stock other then green filter open lid. Not sure if this are normal temps also my radiator temps or say the coolant temps are no higher then 200°.
Sounds totally normal to me

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
I ddidn't think anyone would respond since this is an old post lol. But thanks for the reply. I knw some people are complaining about temps are too hight specially the intake temps.
No worries! Generally speaking, a difference of a few degrees due to the lid being off is mute considering it will be cooled significantly by the intercooler anyway. You won't see a large enough difference to cause noticeable performance loss or anything like that

21 - 26 of 26 Posts