Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are always looking for factual data to help us determine the weak points in any motor and a flow bench is a great tool to help us figure out where their might be a flow restriction. We did extensive research into this for the MZR platform and we are just starting to get into it for the EB.

For comparison purposes here are the flow numbers of the stock IM on the MZR platform (all numbers in CFM):

Stock OEM MZR Intake Manifold:
Runner 1) 199
Runner 2) 235
Runner 3) 233
Runner 4) 192
214.75 average CFM
859 total CFM
~20% flow imbalance

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Carburetor Vehicle

Gasket Match Porting of Stock MZR Intake Manifold:
Runner 1) 212
Runner 2) 239
Runner 3) 233
Runner 4) 207
222.75 average CFM
891 total CFM
~14% flow imbalance

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

JM Fabrications Sheet Metal Intake Manifold:
Runner 1) 379
Runner 2) 356
Runner 3) 350
Runner 4) 379
366 average CFM
1464 total CFM
~7% flow imbalance

Product Technology Electronic device Auto part Input device

As you can see theres a pretty large difference between the stock OEM and the upgraded JMF sheet metal one. The JMF manifold far out flows the stock head which saturates around 225CFM. The ported stock manifold is a decent upgrade but the real difference is in the improvement in flow imbalance between runners. The OEM manifold has a 20% flow imbalance from the factory (mostly due to the huge bulge in runner #1 for the VTCS flapper rod) which can be improved slightly with the gasket match porting to 14%. The JMF manifold deletes the single runner between the ports and evens out the flow to roughly 7%. Remember that all this testing is done at 28inWC and boost will have a large impact on cylinder filling but as long as we compare all the manifolds at this same 28inWC then it should give us some useful results.

So we started our testing with the OEM EB intake manifold. Because it has single ports instead of the divided ports like on the head, we expected it to flow more because it was very similar to what the JMF intake manifold does by deleting the divider between ports. Here are the numbers that we found:

Stock OEM EB Intake Manifold:
Runner 1) 331
Runner 2) 336
Runner 3) 329
Runner 4) 337
333 average CFM
1333 total CFM
~2% flow imbalance

Auto part Vehicle

The numbers are truly astonishing. This manifold should be good for 700WHP worth of flow easy as long as it doesn't fail due to too much boost pressure. The extremely low flow imbalance is most likely due to the throttle body being located in the middle of the plenum vs the 90 deg bend it has to make with the MZR. We are really excited by this because it gives us a great head start to making clean, efficient power. There are probably some benefits to increasing plenum size and changing runner length but for the average owner this manifold should suffice.

We plan to make many more posts like this as we do our testing to keep you guys informed. We are in the process of getting the head flow benched and having some comparative numbers after porting/valve upgrades/cams to show you guys what kinds of gains can be had. Our initial impressions and data show us that there is a lot of room for improvement!

· Registered
2,065 Posts
That's pretty impressive!

No need to buy a manifold then, I was pretty convinced that the stock manifold wasn't a restriction
Correct and the fact that the plastic wont hear soak like the sheet medal or CNC pieces. Stock intake is more then capable of big numbers.

· Registered
362 Posts
I'm so happy we have a vendor like this now. I'm done with having parts shoved at me with next to no supporting data aside from a dyno where the car had timing advanced slightly after the mod to make it look like you get noticeable gains...*ahem*...manifold
+1 x over9000!!!!

· Registered
387 Posts
I'd really like to see some data on whether the intake runner shows improvement.

Reactions: [email protected]

· Registered
3,476 Posts
+1 x over9000!!!!
On a wider note, It's also really nice to see a company diving into engine components and real mods. Bolt-ons are cool, but only to a point. It's really nice to see true engineering tests done on parts to show conclusively that there are improvements on the car. It's hard with bolt-ons because gains are always shown with a re-tune after the mod. You can always slap a part on a car, advance timing a say there are gains (maybe this is just because I'm used to older cars). The intakes and spacers on a stock car seem very unnecessary to me based on all the info I've seen thus far...

Keep up the good work @[email protected]. I look forward to seeing you guys tear apart this car :)

· Registered
2,270 Posts
its not going to come apart....your going to burst a charge pipe before a piece of nylon polymer.....that stuff is super strong.
I haven't looked at it in a while but isn't it "plastic welded" together in the middle? The seAm was my area of concern and obviously at MUCH higher flows/pressures then were seeing 35-40psi and 6-700hp, so a very small number of cars I'm sure

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm curious how much it has to do with the runners breaking out in the head rather than IM... Any chance you'll be testing the head itself/ flow spacers?
head data will be coming in the next few weeks. We currently dont have any spacers to test with but i imagine it wont change the flow as they are really designed to lengthen the intake runners to shift the power curve.

I'd LOVE to see some data on the head, as long as what the stock combustion chamber looks like..

And some flow numbers on the aluminum bricks ;)
Hold tight its coming!!!! :big smile:

· Registered
2,190 Posts
I haven't looked at it in a while but isn't it "plastic welded" together in the middle? The seAm was my area of concern and obviously at MUCH higher flows/pressures then were seeing 35-40psi and 6-700hp, so a very small number of cars I'm sure
Sure doesn't appear to be "plastic welded" in the middle. Doesn't appear to even have a mold seam. Look at the area of the Ford logo. I'm sure most here know this but, it's not just plastic. It's wire reinforced. Burst pressure should be very high. JP

· Registered
3,209 Posts
head data will be coming in the next few weeks. We currently dont have any spacers to test with but i imagine it wont change the flow as they are really designed to lengthen the intake runners to shift the power curve.

Hold tight its coming!!!! :big smile:
You should test the breedt spacer - the sole purpose is a smooth transition from IM to head rather than a flat wall

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.