Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had to relocate my stock horns I figured why not get a quick mod in while I was at it.

The stock horns have covers Glued on to them blocking most the sound. Once I looked at the cover it was a no brainer, pulled the covers off and now they are dang loud. :smile: Not worth taking the front end apart but if your already digging in this is a simple mod with instant gratification.

IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know! Never thought of doing it. Most likely something I will do someday soon!

2015 Tangerine Scream ST3

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes, so the guy you annoy with the 'laying on of horn' knows just EXACTLY whom to shoot.
LOL

I never honk at anybody. (except at a turn to green and no movement for a looooong time) Then just a tiny quick beep.
Around here, honking just might be your last act on Earth.
Plenty of folks are touchy, and carry guns.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What about when you lock he car? Annoyingly loud?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Yes, so the guy you annoy with the 'laying on of horn' knows just EXACTLY whom to shoot.
LOL

I never honk at anybody. (except at a turn to green and no movement for a looooong time) Then just a tiny quick beep.
I honk at people all the time. Call me Johnny. Johnny Dangerously.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good to know about this, I miss my old horn. My Xterra had a Grover 1510 Stuttertone, aka a real fire truck air horn and I wasn't shy about draining the 5 gallon 200 psi charged tank on you if you weren't paying attention or clearing an intersection of red light blockers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
or if you forget to put your key against the driver's side glass as you close the door while it's running (and are too lazy to change that setting with a laptop). God I hate that feature
Don't mean to derail the thread but my '17 RS doesn't double honk when you leave the car with the key with it running. Anyone have a '17 ST that doesn't do this from factory also? Cause my '16 ST did this and it was annoying ASF lol.

I'll be doing this mod when I get behind the bumper too. Thanks for the info OP! People here in Maui can't drive and I lay into the horn quite a bit. Seems like most people can't hear it. Unless they're just ignoring me..

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had these in my forester xt. They aren't as loud as a train horn, but pretty much scared people out of the way. I could see people curl up in their seats.

Why would I do this? Because f*ck'em, that's why!

Thanks for sharing the cheap horn mod, I'll definitely give this a go.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
LOL

Don't be a pus. Honk at everyone. Shoot back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't mean to derail the thread but my '17 RS doesn't double honk when you leave the car with the key with it running. Anyone have a '17 ST that doesn't do this from factory also? Cause my '16 ST did this and it was annoying ASF lol.

I'll be doing this mod when I get behind the bumper too. Thanks for the info OP! People here in Maui can't drive and I lay into the horn quite a bit. Seems like most people can't hear it. Unless they're just ignoring me..
Does your horn work when you tap the pad on the steering wheel? My '14 had spotty wiring and the horn wouldn't always work, so it wouldn't double honk when I exited the car with the key.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The wife's Tacoma had a plastic, wimpy single-note meep meep horn. It eventually cracked and fell apart. I got ahold of a pair GM/Oldsmobile dual notes out of a 1969 88. By god, they get your attention now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Since I had to relocate my stock horns I figured why not get a quick mod in while I was at it.

The stock horns have covers Glued on to them blocking most the sound. Once I looked at the cover it was a no brainer, pulled the covers off and now they are dang loud. :smile: Not worth taking the front end apart but if your already digging in this is a simple mod with instant gratification.

View attachment 272706 View attachment 272714
Doesn't this "cover" protect the inner workings? Not sure if it's called the coil or whatever that actually makes the sound, but that thing. If water or debris gets in there and ruins your horn then now you have no horn lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im sure is provides some dust protection .. the way I mounted the two of them the horn faces down and away ..from the cab.

Doesn't this "cover" protect the inner workings? Not sure if it's called the coil or whatever that actually makes the sound, but that thing. If water or debris gets in there and ruins your horn then now you have no horn lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does your horn work when you tap the pad on the steering wheel? My '14 had spotty wiring and the horn wouldn't always work, so it wouldn't double honk when I exited the car with the key.
Yeah my horn works when I tap the steering wheel. It never gives me issues so I don't think it's a horn problem. It may just be a mid cycle software refresh or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts