Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a Stage 3 2013 FoST with the CP-E catless downpipe and the CP-E 3" catback exhaust. I know that CP-E's exhaust is marketed as "low drone" but the drone is starting to get to me when cruising at highway speeds and going up hills. I bought the car used with the mods so I unfortunately don't have the stock parts. What I'm thinking about doing is trading someone my exhaust for their stock exhaust and bolting it up to the catless downpipe (I've heard CP-E makes adapters) to quiet things down. Now there are moments when I like the loud sound so I'm thinking about getting an electronic cutout installed in the exhaust after the downpipe and wiring it up to the interior.

Now my questions are, how much quieter will going from a catless downpipe and catback to catless downpipe and stock exhaust actually be?

Since I'm tuned to Stage 3, will throwing the stock exhaust back on cause any problems? From what I understand, the downpipe is necessary for Stage 3 but the stock exhaust isn't really restrictive at all.

Will installing the cutout cause any problems with a Stage 3 tune?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey, I have a Stage 3 2013 FoST with the CP-E catless downpipe and the CP-E 3" catback exhaust. I know that CP-E's exhaust is marketed as "low drone" but the drone is starting to get to me when cruising at highway speeds and going up hills. I bought the car used with the mods so I unfortunately don't have the stock parts. What I'm thinking about doing is trading someone my exhaust for their stock exhaust and bolting it up to the catless downpipe (I've heard CP-E makes adapters) to quiet things down. Now there are moments when I like the loud sound so I'm thinking about getting an electronic cutout installed in the exhaust after the downpipe and wiring it up to the interior.

Now my questions are, how much quieter will going from a catless downpipe and catback to catless downpipe and stock exhaust actually be?

Since I'm tuned to Stage 3, will throwing the stock exhaust back on cause any problems? From what I understand, the downpipe is necessary for Stage 3 but the stock exhaust isn't really restrictive at all.

Will installing the cutout cause any problems with a Stage 3 tune?
I would find some videos on cut out exhausts, to me they all sound pretty terrible on this car. YMMV. If it were me I would just buy a no drone exhaust like Milltek or Greddy instead of trying to get a cutout working with the stock exhaust. You'll probably come out the same money wise if you sell the CP-E to fund the new exhaust instead of swapping it and paying for the adapter/cut out.

Stock exhaust with catless downpipe will be quiet but have a bit more character. Yes you can still be "stage 3" with it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1. Your exhaust will be incredibly quieter with the factory muffler installed w/ the resonator, nearly silent at idle and and practically no noise here on mine with factory exhaust with a resonator delete and catless downpipe.

2. Staying stage 3 shouldn't be an issue, I've been running the stage 3 OTS tunes since I've installed the downpipe. Still an incredible difference in low to midrange power.

3. Cutout option shouldn't affect any tunes for the vehicle, I've actually been contemplating having a WOT cutout option installed, myself.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I love the CP-E exhaust's sound but since I generally spend 2-3 hours a day driving for work, the drone is just killing me. From what I've heard, there's just no getting away from drone with 3" exhausts. My ultimate plan is to get a new diffuser (probably Zetec S) and have an exhaust shop weld new pipes from the resonator to the ends of the bumper instead of keeping the central exhaust setup. It should still be quiet. After, I'll have them install the QTP electric cutout and I want to wire it to the false button on the AC unit. That way, I can keep the car quiet when I want and I can let it open occasionally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts