Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody gut the stock dp and get good results?

·
Administrator
11,794 Posts
Nope, the stock DP has a crazy kinked bend in it, which is the real restriction. So just fork up the cash for an aftermarket one.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Cj pony parts has highflow and non cat at great price.
I have the CJ PonyParts catted dp. Very nice quality, not too expensive especially if you buy it on sale. Depo racing is good stuff too, and it’s even cheaper than CJ.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The catalyst is the the major restriction in the OEM DP, the wicked sharp bend in it is.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes you will see better spool and will gains a minimum of 5 whp with a good calibration. Dont bother on decat. The catted 200 cell will work file.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you will see better spool and will gains a minimum of 5 whp with a good calibration. Dont bother on decat. The
catted 200 cell will work file.
That's what I thought maybe get a little better flow and spool up plus the benefits of keeping it oem in appearance while under warranty. After warranty expires then its go time with the mods

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, the stock DP has a crazy kinked bend in it, which is the real restriction. So just fork up the cash for an aftermarket one.
Yeah I think I remember reading a post with pics comparing it to a aftermarket dp and that kink was a major bottleneck. I'm just trying to see if it's worth modding if the alternative is keeping it stock. I know aftermarket is the way to go but I'm not at that option yet due to warranty concerns.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I know aftermarket is the way to go but I'm not at that option yet due to warranty concerns.
There will be no difference in your warranty being voided with a aftermarket DP vs a hollowed out OEM DP. If you have a major problem, they will easily find out that your DP has been modified and then out the window with the warranty.

If you are concerned about a warranty, the only real option is to get an aftermarket DP and then if you have a problem, put your OEM one back on before taking it in.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
There will be no difference in your warranty being voided with a aftermarket DP vs a hollowed out OEM DP. If you have a major problem, they will easily find out that your DP has been modified and then out the window with the warranty.

If you are concerned about a warranty, the only real option is to get an aftermarket DP and then if you have a problem, put your OEM one back on before taking it in.

I kept my stock dp. I really hate the thought of having to wrestle that one back into place.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I kept my stock dp. I really hate the thought of having to wrestle that one back into place.
That makes two of us! It looks like a real pita to swap it out but I agree with 1loudst
Better than a denied warranty claim

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yeah...all that wrestling sure did f___ing suck getting it out of there. I HATED removing it lol. Then the bolts from DP>CBE refused to come off so I cut them and nicked my downpipe and accidentally put a hole in it so I tossed it. I basically said F my warranty chances when I did that. No ragrats because racecar

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think I'm the only 1 that actually did this, I just took a rod and beat the catalyst apart. IIRC it was worth 5HP on vdyno results with no tune adjustment. Then Torrie @unleashed was able to coax another 8HP or so out of it so in the end it was worth 13HP. Torque went up a little more than HP and gained 15. Spool was definitely quicker. Once you've take the DP out once it gets much quicker, when I sold my ST I put back in a catted DP for emissions and it only took about 35 minutes to remove and reinstall after jacking and stands.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm the only 1 that actually did this, I just took a rod and beat the catalyst apart. IIRC it was worth 5HP on vdyno results with no tune adjustment. Then Torrie @unleashed was able to coax another 8HP or so out of it so in the end it was worth 13HP. Torque went up a little more than HP and gained 15. Spool was definitely quicker. Once you've take the DP out once it gets much quicker, when I sold my ST I put back in a catted DP for emissions and it only took about 35 minutes to remove and reinstall after jacking and stands.
well that's exactly the info I'm looking for...sounds good thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts